Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Groceries: for suomynona
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 12  13  14  Next

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:50 am
HindaRochel wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Freidasima, I use either silicon baking dishes... or baking paper. Works out cheaper than aluminum foil. I also read that aluminum gets absorbed by the food you eat and is really bad for your body, so I prefer to minimize exposure. Thinking of getting silicon sheets to cover my oven trays for making challah or cookies or whatnot.

And sure, no problem, Liba!

I think silicone does as well from my memory...but have to move fast now so no time to check it out...aluminum passes through the digestive system. Not so aluminum used in deodorant. I am a little schizoid on the issue. I avoid aluminum in my cooking products but not in my cookware (aluminum disposables and foil)

btw I think one of the ingredients in St. Moritz is probably lye. COULD be wrong. But if it is that's about as easy as you are going to get. A friend use to use easy-off on top of the stove no problem.
I've looked it up and never read about any dangers of using silicon, but read plenty of problems with ingesting aluminum.
http://www.newfoundationspubl......e.htm
http://www.globalhealingcenter......html
http://www.mothering.com/commu.....eware

Marion

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 1:55 am
I spend about 80NIS/week on dairy (cheese, yogurt, milk). We drink 5-6L of milk a week. Yes, I buy it all in one go.

I no longer buy disposable diapers, but when I did I would buy 3 for 100NIS (on special) and that would be for the whole month.

Chicken I try to get on the 5kg/80NIS day at the supermarket. But I really dislike shopping anytime after Monday, so it doesn't happen very often. It's enough.

Produce I probably spend around 50NIS/week. Not necessarily on special. I refuse to be elbowed on "yom shuk", so I don't go on Tuesday.

Cleaning supplies get rotated through on an as-needed basis. 32 rolls of TP last at least a month, 5-6kg laundry detergent lasts 3-4 months, assorted cleaning liquids last 2-3 months each.

I probably spend 80NIS/month on toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste) at the supermarket.

Bread I buy at the supermarket as well, whatever I need.

DH hasn't done a "shuk run" in over 3 months (though for strawberries it might almost be time...).

My average weekly bill is 250-350NIS. The higher end takes into account yamim tovim (sometimes as high as 450NIS) and Pesach (about 900NIS). It also takes into account weeks of "Abba shel Shabbat" when I spend money on things I would never normally buy (nosh).

I have 3 little ones; one is just starting solids/purees. So 2 kids and one adult eat breakfast at home, 2 kids take aruchat eser, and 2 kids and two adults eat some sort of dinner/tea/light something or other in the evening. 2 kids and one adult eat their main meal at lunchtime, either provided as part of the daycare expense or subsidized at work.

The last few weeks I've been only filling in gaps, not buying "stock"...

Week 1 I spent 88NIS.
Week 2 I spent 163NIS.
Week 3 I spent 240NIS (60NIS on laundry detergent, 20NIS on dish soap, 30NIS on "un"bleach...130NIS on groceries)

The only time anyone goes to the makolet is if the supermarket is out of milk on Sunday/Monday. Then DH hits up the makolet for the milk on Tuesday and may buy some fruit on special as well. He never spends more than 50NIS. Weeks that I buy challah it is 8 or 12 NIS...I don't need more than 3 challot.

freidasima

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 3:38 am
Like HR I dont use aluminum deodorants but never heard of aluminum being absorbed when used as a base for roasting or baking. I have however read a lot of the dangers of silicon which at high temps may act like plastics do in the microwave, which of course I never use with plastic and rarely use for anything but popping corn (a very expensive corn popper I would say but it's 20 years old so...)

Lye - yes I assume it has it in there, but I am not about to go and buy lye on its own and start working with it, I'm too klutzy...

suomynona

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 4:34 am
Marion how did you spend 88 nis in a week if your dairy bill alone is 80 nis?

I'm surprised at how significant cleaning supplies is on everyone's list. I feel like I replenish cleaning supplies so infrequently. I guess we're not that clean. Smile

Marion

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 4:54 am
I had nothing to buy except milk and a few veggies that week. I still had cheese and yoghurt (the bulk of my dairy bill) from the previous shop.

I don't consider cleaning supplies a significant expense. We buy every 2-3-4 months (as per my list above). Somehow it just always falls out the same week.

freidasima

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 5:01 am
My most commonly used up cleaning supply is the toilet wash, toilet duck. I found that it is great for sinks as well along with sano X chol and I can use up a package in a month. Also get economica merukaz gets used up about one a month. St. Moritz if I am good and clean the stovetop every week then one every two months or so, but I keep doubles of everything except that. One in the bathroom and one in the kitchen so that I don't have to schlep it.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 5:13 am
freidasima wrote:
Like HR I dont use aluminum deodorants but never heard of aluminum being absorbed when used as a base for roasting or baking. I have however read a lot of the dangers of silicon which at high temps may act like plastics do in the microwave, which of course I never use with plastic and rarely use for anything but popping corn (a very expensive corn popper I would say but it's 20 years old so...)

Lye - yes I assume it has it in there, but I am not about to go and buy lye on its own and start working with it, I'm too klutzy...

That's why I won't make homemade soaps, at least from lye.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 5:20 am
Seraph wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Freidasima, I use either silicon baking dishes... or baking paper. Works out cheaper than aluminum foil. I also read that aluminum gets absorbed by the food you eat and is really bad for your body, so I prefer to minimize exposure. Thinking of getting silicon sheets to cover my oven trays for making challah or cookies or whatnot.

And sure, no problem, Liba!

I think silicone does as well from my memory...but have to move fast now so no time to check it out...aluminum passes through the digestive system. Not so aluminum used in deodorant. I am a little schizoid on the issue. I avoid aluminum in my cooking products but not in my cookware (aluminum disposables and foil)

btw I think one of the ingredients in St. Moritz is probably lye. COULD be wrong. But if it is that's about as easy as you are going to get. A friend use to use easy-off on top of the stove no problem.
I've looked it up and never read about any dangers of using silicon, but read plenty of problems with ingesting aluminum.
http://www.newfoundationspubl......e.htm
http://www.globalhealingcenter......html
http://www.mothering.com/commu.....eware

They've shown that there is no connection between aluminum and Alzheimers.. scientific studies
http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/.....ID=99

I did get rid of all my aluminum, big expense and I probably should not have.

I don't know enough about silicone, it really hasn't been around long enough.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 7:14 am
Baking soda is ~10 nis/kg in the shuk.
My husband likes toilet duck for the toilets. For me, bleach and scouring powder are enough. We use St. Moritz on the grates weekly and I touch them up during the week with either Windex-type stuff or wash them with dishwashing detergent (only Palmolive or Fairy). The sinks are bleached and scoured like the toilets. I have Astonish for greasy pans. That's about it. Nothing fancy. I know we have anti-calc somewhere but I don't know what DH uses it on - I didn't buy it. We use mostly water on the floors and sometimes add floor soap. I buy silver polish now and then which is expensive. My things need polishing - does anyone want to come over and help?

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:03 am
Tamiri wrote:
My husband likes toilet duck for the toilets. For me, bleach and scouring powder are enough. We use St. Moritz on the grates weekly and I touch them up during the week with either Windex-type stuff or wash them with dishwashing detergent (only Palmolive or Fairy). The sinks are bleached and scoured like the toilets. I have Astonish for greasy pans. That's about it. Nothing fancy. I know we have anti-calc somewhere but I don't know what DH uses it on - I didn't buy it. We use mostly water on the floors and sometimes add floor soap. I buy silver polish now and then which is expensive. My things need polishing - does anyone want to come over and help?

My lechter need a strong man to polish them. I can't get the stuff off...

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 1:40 pm
I am not a frugal person. I dont go around to 10 differnet groceries buying what's on sale. I dont plan my menus around what's on sale. I put things into my cart if I need it, and I dont check the prices. I admit, I shop too expansively. (not expensively.) today I went to the grocery and bought some things that are meant to last us til Thursday and some for long term (like soup and challah ingredients). I spent $120. and this isnt the shabbos order yet.
Then I spent $20 at the butcher. for 2 days worth of food.
THen I spent $8 in the hardware store, $4 in the bargain store, $6.50 in the costume jewelery store, and $1.00 in the dry-goods store.
that's just half of my weekly shopping.
And I'm far from rich!!!
I just cannot be bothered coupon clipping and comparison shopping. To me time is money. I use one grocery store, near my house, which has big comfortable aisles, delivery service, and a 10% discount for future purchases if you pay up in full. (I currently have about $60 credit, which should cover most of my shabbos order.)
Later bli neder I'll type up a more itemized list of what I bought.
I was amazed that HY was able to buy all her weekly groceries for $80!!! Just the butcher alone cost me $20. (admittedly I bought a ready soup for $6 but that's our weekly sunday night treat with dh's consent; Sunday is the craziest day here and I don't usually manage to cook a decent supper.)

Tamiri

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 1:45 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

This thread put me in the mood to do it, so I got off my duff and did it right after I posted. I use good, strong stuff and don't do the best job (shhhh don't tell anyone) about 3 times/year. My candelabra comes apart a bit (cups, middle cup) which makes it a tad easier, but it's still too much work. I did a couple of gvi'im and little cups and the salt shaker and my friend from America called while I was doing them to say they could be with us for a Shabbat in a month, if we would have them. So at least we'll have a few not too tarnished things to put on the table.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:11 am
Tamiri wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

This thread put me in the mood to do it, so I got off my duff and did it right after I posted. I use good, strong stuff and don't do the best job (shhhh don't tell anyone) about 3 times/year. My candelabra comes apart a bit (cups, middle cup) which makes it a tad easier, but it's still too much work. I did a couple of gvi'im and little cups and the salt shaker and my friend from America called while I was doing them to say they could be with us for a Shabbat in a month, if we would have them. So at least we'll have a few not too tarnished things to put on the table.

I think my lechter need to be resilvered. I have a sneaking feeling they weren't the sterling silver my mom thought she bought. :/

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:44 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I am not a frugal person. I dont go around to 10 differnet groceries buying what's on sale. I dont plan my menus around what's on sale.

I just cannot be bothered coupon clipping and comparison shopping. To me time is money. I use one grocery store, near my house, which has big comfortable aisles, delivery service, and a 10% discount for future purchases if you pay up in full. (I currently have about $60 credit, which should cover most of my shabbos order.)

For the record, I DO check prices, but I have neither the time nor the desire to supermarket-hop. Coupons are practically non-existant here; you have to get lucky and find what you need on special (which is not always so special...). I won't buy something if I think the asking price is unreasonable (like cucumbers for 10NIS/kg...which is "only" $1.25/lb, but is insanely expensive here). But I don't think we "do without" terribly much. Most of what I won't buy I can make for a reasonable amount. And how much nosh do we need anyway?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 9:03 am
My son takes a snack to cheder every day, 3 snacks for every tefillah on shabbos (he gives out to the other kids), and a snack after cheder... we need about 20 snacks a week.

de_goldy

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 9:04 am
Mama Bear wrote:
My son takes a snack to cheder every day, 3 snacks for every tefillah on shabbos (he gives out to the other kids), and a snack after cheder... we need about 20 snacks a week.

Snacks don't have to be pre-packaged or nosh though.

Seraph

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 9:08 am
Mama Bear, you know you can buy a larger bag and put it into little baggies... Or gasp, make your own snacks...

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 9:15 am
large bags tend to go stale, they stay open. make my own snacks? My kid wouldnt eat that. I once made 72 muffins, after the 12th muffin the rest went to the garbage erev pesach...

litlte cheder boys take pretzels, potato chips, corn pops, cookies to cheder.

anyway,I do admit I overindulge on the nosh, I shouldnt buy all that much nosh. I can definitely trim my shopping budget if I had the time and patience.... but I sadly don't.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 9:25 am
MamaBear, you can buy a medium bag, then. Maybe your kids could put them into smaller bags.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 10:08 am
My kids LOVE filling up baggies. It's an activity...we do it with pretzels, baby carrots, cereal, raisins...whatever snack is.

(OK, last week, 2 days of snack were a cucumber cut up in sticks each day. Today my son is bringing in fried mozarella sticks -- we needed an activity yesterday. I don't think we bring in the typical snacks, but whatever.)
Page 4 of 14   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics