Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Anyone else think the Maccabeats are adorable??
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Happy18

Post Sat, Dec 04 2010, 11:51 pm
I believe two are married and ones engaged. The obsession with the guys is hysterical. Considering that in the past I have personally heard one of them say that he is never set up...I dont think this is going to be a problem any more lol

chavamom

Post Sat, Dec 04 2010, 11:54 pm
onelove26 wrote:
The one with the NASA outfit is from Houston - - guess it's a little hometown shout-out!

They are awesome and it's great that something with real Jewish value is getting the attention this year.

Yeah, he wears it some of their other videos too (thank you youtube)

chavamom

Post Sat, Dec 04 2010, 11:55 pm
louche wrote:
What, teenager? I have a crush on them all, even the goofy-looking ones. I always was a sucker for guys who could sing, starting with The Rabbi's Sons in the 1960s (honk if you remember them!)

Honk, honk. They released a tape in the 90's also that they gave to all the members of our moshav as one of the members is Rabbi Chait whose yeshiva is situated there.

anon

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 12:27 am
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/.....earch

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 4:13 am
louche wrote:
What, teenager? I have a crush on them all, even the goofy-looking ones. I always was a sucker for guys who could sing, starting with The Rabbi's Sons in the 1960s (honk if you remember them!)

Honk honk.

Rabos Machashovos (badadam badadam) beleiv ish (badadam badadam).....

de_goldy

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 10:08 am
onelove26 wrote:
The one with the NASA outfit is from Houston - - guess it's a little hometown shout-out!

They are awesome and it's great that something with real Jewish value is getting the attention this year.

They are cute and talented and I definitely enjoyed watching them, and will watch them again.
But to call this something of real Jewish value? Please.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 12:21 pm
The Maccabeats live on CBS NY

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/20.....udio/

Shalshelet

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 1:19 pm
they are currently on the front page headlines of yahoo as well.

chavamom

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 2:21 pm
de_goldy wrote:
onelove26 wrote:

They are cute and talented and I definitely enjoyed watching them, and will watch them again.
But to call this something of real Jewish value? Please.

Well, let's see. The song tells about the defeat of Greeks and "return to torah learning" VS say, Adam Sandler, the most famous popular "Chanuka" song until know that has lines with things like "smoke your marijuanika".

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 3:19 pm
louche wrote:

Slushiemom, do you mean the one who sings I flip my latkes in the air? Not the guy who starts out I tell a tale-tale-tale-tale?

Honk.
I finally just heard the Chanuka song on our local Jewish hour. It's cute. Did make me think of Beatachon takeh.
But this song was kind of vapid and I don't like techno. I'm going to search for that other thread on this.
And if you want REAL Jewish music for Chanukah, after the Maccabeat song the host played something he said was on chabad.org called John-O's dreidel song. Listen to it. You'll thank me.

jelibean

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 3:38 pm
chaylizi wrote:
The Maccabeats live on CBS NY

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/20.....udio/

Thanks for posting this! I won't be surprised to see them making the rounds on the weekday morning news show circuit, like Today and GMA.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 3:47 pm
I squeed when I discovered that one of my favorite miami boys choir soloists from the early 2000's, Chanina Abramowitz, is in the Maccabeats!!!

Also, I discovered that my nutritionist Sarah Horowitz's Son Julian is their musical director. Small world!

soulful music

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 5:53 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I squeed when I discovered that one of my favorite miami boys choir soloists from the early 2000's, Chanina Abramowitz, is in the Maccabeats!!!

Also, I discovered that my nutritionist Sarah Horowitz's Son Julian is their musical director. Small world!

Which one in C. Abramowitz? What's the name of the first soloist?

chaylizi

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 6:34 pm
soulful music wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

Which one in C. Abramowitz? What's the name of the first soloist?

the first one is Immanuel Shalev

the second is Nachum Joel

still wondering about the third

louche

Post Mon, Dec 06 2010, 12:31 pm
jeweled wrote:
I think the song was clever, they obviously have good voices and the video was very well done. But to want to marry them or have them as part of your family because they are talented seems a little/very shallow. I'm sure they are all amazing boys with good middos and the works but, come on.

Rolling Eyes
1. Sweetie, you never heard of hyperbole? In plain English, it is an exaggerated statement made for emphasis. As in "I wanna kill myself, my cholent came out terrible." No normal person seriously contemplates suicide over a ruined meal, you know? You say it for effect. It sounds better than I'm really, really, really, really, really upset."

2. How many people do you know who consider any male with an M.D. after his name or dollar $igns before his name fair game for a shidduch ach verak because of that title or those dollar signs? I'm sure many MD's are amazing boys with good middos and the works but, come on.

3. Nobody here has said she wants to marry or have as a son-in-law Mike Thompson, who did the video of which Candlelight is a spoof. ( And he is, if anything, even more talented because he sang all the parts himself. ) You know why? Because the attraction is not just talent. Let me tell you what I see when I look at the video:

a. Nice, clean cut bocherim. Kippot very much in evidence. For those who understand this expression, they're "simpati".
b. Smiling faces. These bocherim are having a good time in a kosher way.
c. Dedication to Yiddishkeit and proud of it.
d. Sense of humor.
e. Creativity.
f. Teamwork. And they seem like good friends.
g. Good voices. Why not? Nobody criticizes anyone for looking for a good-looking mate. How is wanting a good voice any different?

Not a bad start, and quite frankly a whole lot more to go on than the typical shidduch date recommendation I got in my day, which was along the lines of "Moshe Ferbstein, 5'6", accountant, 24. Very nice boy." Of course he's a very nice boy. What else would you say--he's a mass murderer?

louche

Post Mon, Dec 06 2010, 12:32 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
louche wrote:

Honk honk.

Rabos Machashovos (badadam badadam) beleiv ish (badadam badadam).....

Rolling Laughter Oh boy does that take me back!

rosehill

Post Mon, Dec 06 2010, 5:50 pm
louche wrote:
jeweled wrote:
I think the song was clever, they obviously have good voices and the video was very well done. But to want to marry them or have them as part of your family because they are talented seems a little/very shallow. I'm sure they are all amazing boys with good middos and the works but, come on.

Rolling Eyes
1. Sweetie, you never heard of hyperbole? In plain English, it is an exaggerated statement made for emphasis. As in "I wanna kill myself, my cholent came out terrible." No normal person seriously contemplates suicide over a ruined meal, you know? You say it for effect. It sounds better than I'm really, really, really, really, really upset."

2. How many people do you know who consider any male with an M.D. after his name or dollar $igns before his name fair game for a shidduch ach verak because of that title or those dollar signs? I'm sure many MD's are amazing boys with good middos and the works but, come on.

3. Nobody here has said she wants to marry or have as a son-in-law Mike Thompson, who did the video of which Candlelight is a spoof. ( And he is, if anything, even more talented because he sang all the parts himself. ) You know why? Because the attraction is not just talent. Let me tell you what I see when I look at the video:

a. Nice, clean cut bocherim. Kippot very much in evidence. For those who understand this expression, they're "simpati".
b. Smiling faces. These bocherim are having a good time in a kosher way.
c. Dedication to Yiddishkeit and proud of it.
d. Sense of humor.
e. Creativity.
f. Teamwork. And they seem like good friends.
g. Good voices. Why not? Nobody criticizes anyone for looking for a good-looking mate. How is wanting a good voice any different?

Not a bad start, and quite frankly a whole lot more to go on than the typical shidduch date recommendation I got in my day, which was along the lines of "Moshe Ferbstein, 5'6", accountant, 24. Very nice boy." Of course he's a very nice boy. What else would you say--he's a mass murderer?

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

OMG, that was one of the funniest posts I've read in ages (not hyperbole).
I was ROTFL (hyperbole)!!!

louche

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 8:40 am
Actually, I was dead serious. About all of it. Including Moshe Ferbstein (not his real name, but it makes no diff. They were all alike.)

BTW, any of you computer whizzes know how I can set up a file to play Candlelight over and over? I'm trying to learn the melody and it's annoying to have to go to the page and click on it every time. Tx!

mominlkwd

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 8:52 am
I LOVE them. They are totally addictive. It's not often I find something I can let my kids listen to on the internet, this is it. My kids are obsessed with it (all of them - different ages) I hear them singing it around the house, in the car. It's adorable. And I do think it's a good song - tells the younger kids the story in a short sweet way that stays in their mind.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 8:57 am
Louche, buy it from itunes for 99 cents, and set it in your media player to continuously play?

Otherwise, you can have your youtube page set to refresh every X amount of minutes (depending on the length of the song) if you have FF and install an add on.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics