Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Gas stove on yontif?

imabima

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 7:21 am
We recently moved and now have a gas stove. How do you safely leave a burner on on yontif?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 7:28 am
You just leave it on. LOL

You can buy a Hagaz which cuts off the gas supply according to a timer.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 7:51 am
When I leave a burner on, I always put a full kettle of water over it, to make me feel safe. Erev Shabbat, you would need to cover the flame. I don't really like leaving an open flame, for obvious reasons.

freidasima

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 8:48 am
We have an American all gas stove and I use a blech even on yuntif. That means I have a flame going, cover it with the blech and keep a full kettle of water on the blech all yuntif. When I have to cook something I move the blech to one side, cook and then recover. That way the gas is always covered.

melalyse

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 9:36 am
Do you have a pilot light. ask your Rav. Mine holds that if your stove has a pilot light you may turn on and off the burners, because you are only transfering the flame.

grace413

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 9:40 am
Pilot lights are pretty much a thing of the past.

I leave a burner on and cover it with a blech when nothing is cooking/warming. I've been doing this for many years and the worse thing that ever happened was last year when my front and back doors were opened simultaneously and the wind blew out the flame.

imabima

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 9:54 am
grace413 wrote:
Pilot lights are pretty much a thing of the past.

I leave a burner on and cover it with a blech when nothing is cooking/warming. I've been doing this for many years and the worse thing that ever happened was last year when my front and back doors were opened simultaneously and the wind blew out the flame.

My stove is new but totally bottom of the line and actually does have two pilots.
Either way, covering with a blech when not in use is a good idea. I guess I have to dig out my old blech!
Shana tova u'misuka. Smile

Liba

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 9:58 am
melalyse wrote:
Do you have a pilot light. ask your Rav. Mine holds that if your stove has a pilot light you may turn on and off the burners, because you are only transfering the flame.

Are you 100% certain he said you can put out the flame? That isn't transferring, that is extinguishing. We were told we could only turn down a flame if the food was burning and could never extinguish it. Lighting is no problem unless there is an electronic starter which you can't bypass (like we have now) on our fleishig burners, but not our milchig ones. LOL

freidasima

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 10:15 am
You can't use a pilot which uses electronic ignition, that's ossur as far as I know.
In the "olden days" you could turn your oven on and off because you weren't extinguishing, as the pilot, which you could actually see, was never extinguished by it, it was just like "lessening the flame". But you could only light the stovetop by using a match to ignite and then letting the match fall and burn out by itself but you couldn't turn off what you had turned on, so I learned and so we did.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 10:25 am
We are NOT happy with all the new electronic gadgetry on ovens today. To say the least.

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 10:27 am
Liba wrote:
melalyse wrote:

Are you 100% certain he said you can put out the flame? That isn't transferring, that is extinguishing. We were told we could only turn down a flame if the food was burning and could never extinguish it. Lighting is no problem unless there is an electronic starter which you can't bypass (like we have now) on our fleishig burners, but not our milchig ones. LOL

happily one of my starters on one ring is no longer working. so I can light it on yom tov.

if you are worried about the flame going out and gas, my gas cooker has a feature that the gas goes off automatically when then happens.

melalyse

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 10:29 am
freidasima wrote:
You can't use a pilot which uses electronic ignition, that's ossur as far as I know.
In the "olden days" you could turn your oven on and off because you weren't extinguishing, as the pilot, which you could actually see, was never extinguished by it, it was just like "lessening the flame". But you could only light the stovetop by using a match to ignite and then letting the match fall and burn out by itself but you couldn't turn off what you had turned on, so I learned and so we did.

If you have a pilot, there is no electicity. My stove is not plugged in. There is a little flame, in the middle and when you turn on the gas the flame moves to the burners from the little flame. When you are shutting it off, you are stopping the gas flow, you are not removing the flame which is still there. (This is all according to Rav Moshe, which my Rav hold by also, granted there are rabbaim that do not hold like this).
There are some gas stove that have electric starters, which you can actually bipass. My mom keeps a yartzeit candles near her stove and turns on the gas, but not far enough to tun on the starter and transfers the flame from the candle to her stove, but it can't be turned off.

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 10:32 am
My stove is the same, two pilot lights that you can see and that always need to be on. So I didn't ask but I assume it's okay since you are not extinguishing or lighting anything.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 10:38 am
Forget extinguishing: I thought you are not allowed to lower a flame at all, only raise it. I hate these rules and regulations. So much to remember. Too much to absorb. So I leave my oven on. No flame. BH for a gas oven.
When gas ovens were manual, we could raise the heat. Electric was awful because we could never fiddle with it. Now, with everything electronic, we also can't touch the controls.
Halacha is NOT keeping up with technology.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 10:39 am
Tamiri wrote:
Forget extinguishing: I thought you are not allowed to lower a flame at all, only raise it. I hate these rules and regulations. So much to remember. Too much to absorb. So I leave my oven on. No flame. BH for a gas oven.
When gas ovens were manual, we could raise the heat. Electric was awful because we could never fiddle with it. Now, with everything electronic, we also can't touch the controls.
Halacha is NOT keeping up with technology.

You can only lower it for the food, not because you want to.

So I lower my flame for the last few minutes so as not to burn the food. That's fine.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 10:41 am
I'll have to have a word with my food, then.

shnitzel

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 11:24 am
If you leave your stove on can you lower & raise it whenever you need to. With electric you can't because the element turns on and off so you watch the light, is it similar with gas?

I usually just leave an electric blech on but it would be easier to leave on my stove (if I can convince DH)

shanie5

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 10:24 pm
When I had an electric stove, we had s/o install a light that turned on when the electric was running. So when that light was on I could turn the knob to raise the heat and when the light was off, I could lower the heat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics