Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Jewish Parenting Books

Motek

Post Sun, Jul 23 2006, 9:21 pm
I've compiled a list of Jewish Parenting books. I posted them in the Chinuch section and I'm reposting them here so more people will notice it.

JEWISH PARENTING BOOKS

1) Adahan – Raising Children to Care
2) Levy – (More) Effective Jewish Parenting; When Children Fight
3) Wikler – Partners with Hashem
4) Brezak – Chinuch in Turbulent Times
5) Young – Apples from the Tree
6) Schmidt – Love is Not Enough
7) Mermelstein – Being and Becoming
8 ) Ganz – Make Me, Don’t Break Me
9) Orlowek – Child/Disciple; Raising Roses among the Thorns
10) Radcliffe – Delicate Balance
11) Twersky – Positive Parenting; Not as Tough ..
12) Elkins – Unconventional Wisdom (for children with problems learning)
13) Munk – Sparing the Rod (on reward and punishment)
14) Wolbe – Planting and Building
15) Wagshal – Successful Chinuch
16) Wolpin – Timeless Parenting (a compilation of articles)
17) Feinhandler – Beloved Children (insights from parsha)
18 ) Klein – To Teach a Jew
19) Neuwirth – Halachos of Educating Children
20) Kelemen – To Kindle a Soul
21) Pollak – Torah Powerhouse
22) Slonimer Rebbe – Nesivos Sholom
23) Saltzman – Parenting by the Book (parsha)
24) Balanced Parenting – Pelcowitz
25) Direction – Feurman
26) Polishing Diamonds – Kaplan
27) Preparing Your Child for Success - Greenwald

feel free to comment on them

hisorerus

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 12:06 am
I would like to see a brief summary of the main points of each of these books, as the likelihood of me being able to go through all of them is pretty slim.

DevorahF

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:26 am
I read raising roses among thorns. it is written by rabbi orloweck. I felt it was easy to read with clear and down to earth examples.
great ideas.

JRKmommy

Post Thu, Jul 27 2006, 12:07 pm
I've read and loved "Raising Roses Among the Thorns" and "To Kindle a Soul".

"Raising Roses" is geared toward a frum audience, and a central idea is that a strong parent-child bond provide is essential protection against the dangers of the outside world. No psycho-babble at all. It provides short chapters, simple language, clear points to remember and simple exercises at the end of each chapter.

"To Kindle a Soul" contains some similar parenting ideas and philosophies to "Raising Roses". However, it is geared toward presenting "traditional Jewish parenting wisdom" to a more general audience. It is more all-encompasing - food, exercise, sleep, discipline, TV, attention and faith are all covered - and it "sells" this approach to a general audience with a whole slew of studies. It makes you think.

I'll add a couple more:

For breastfeeding, Tehilla Abramov's "Straight from the Heart".

"How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk", by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. Maybe it's not a "Jewish" book per se, since it is written for a general audience, but the authors are both Jewish and I find that there is a lot of Jewish wisdom in their advice. Excellent, very simple book, and the suggestions work with people of any age!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 6:00 pm
Motek wrote:

10) Radcliffe – Delicate Balance

posting the link: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....28643

bashinda

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 8:22 pm
somehow I can never get through Raising Children to Care although I like what she's saying. I should really try to read that. I liked Rabbi Kaplan's columns in Hamodia (including the anecdos and anecdon'ts even when I disagree with him) but I haven't read the book. Anyone read (More) Effective Jewish Parenting?

I like How To Talk so Kids will Listen... with one caveat. The authors and their teacher may be / may have been Jewish but they're secular and it definitely shows in the book. You have to read through it carefully. Some of it IMO doesn't quite fit a frum framework, but in general it's good.

Are there any books which discuss childraising for BTs btw? Things like: how to explain to Miri why Bubbe/Tante etc. doesn't cover her hair/ dress tsniusly etc?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 9:18 pm
u just tell them like it is. unfortunatley they arent frum anbd they dont know but hopefully one day they will. we all have yeitzer haras..... etc..... no hiding there

bashinda

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 9:36 pm
I'm more looking for if there's anyone who's written about this and if so which book(s)?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room