Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Allergic to sugar and teachers
1  2  Next

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 2:41 pm
I am wondering if anybody else's child can't have sugar and how you dealt with it in gan/preschool/school. It could be that in America this topic is not as relevant as in Israel, but I am having a very difficult time with it. I tell the teachers that he cannot have sugar at all. And they think that I am a horrible parent, "but you should see the look on his face when everyone else gets," etc. I send in special treats, but the teachers will often still give him sugar. I tell them it's an allergy, but they just think I am an odd health conscious mother.

My son cnanot have sugar. I know everyday when he comes home from gan if he had. He is crazily hyperactive, hurting his siblings, and he can't control himself, only later to fall apart (I guess when his blood sugar drops.)

I don't know what to do! Someone told me just to say he breaks out in a rash. Somebody else said to say that the doctor said he can't have sugar. I am tempted to just ask a doctor to say that to me (any doctor out there can say it to me?) so I can say it to them.

He has been so out of hand lately, and they just don't get it!!

Anyoen been there, done that....or if your child ahs a different allergy how did you present it to the morah?

Thank you!

red sea

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 2:51 pm
When your kid is allergic it always helps to over exagerate it to the teachers cuz if you don't and the allergic reaction isn't very noticeable to them , a lot do not take you seriously unless they have personal experience with allergies.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 2:58 pm
First of all, the thread title sounds funny: I thought your child was allergic to sugar AND to teachers. :-D

Second of all, can you get a note from a doctor that states that your child is allergic to sugar?

It's really upsetting when teachers undermine your authority by giving your kids things you tell them not to. It's inappropriate for them to make such decisions, and it's bad chinuch for the kid to see that his/her parent's word isn't the last one. Mad

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 3:02 pm
your child's teachers should be respectiing your wishes regardless of whether they think it's weird or not. I think it's very unprofessional of them to give your child something that you specifically asked them not to.

Personally, I think all kids are somewhat allergic to sugar-it's no good for anyone. When I was teaching, I had 2 students whose parents requested that they not receive any shabbos treats,. birthday cake, etc. I sometimes felt bad for the kids, but I would never dream of disregarding an outright exception. the parents know what they're doing!

And I think I'll probably do the same thing with my kids. The amount of nosh kids in preschool and elementary school get on school grounds is out of control.

shoy18

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 3:05 pm
I know in alot of schools now they dont give the kids sugary treats anymore, in my neices school they started giving out snack and telling the parents not to send anything, so they can give them healthy snacks.

I agree with crayon get a dr.'s note and give it to the teacher

Crayon210

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 3:10 pm
I know that in some schools, the kids have to bring a healthy snack for the morning and they are encouraged to bring a healthy snack for the afternoon, but may bring whatever they want for the afternoon snack.

The rationale? If the parents want to deal with their crazy kids having had cookies/cake/fruit roll-ups, good for them! Twisted Evil

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 3:11 pm
Health is a Virture wrote:
I am wondering if anybody else's child can't have sugar and how you dealt with it in gan/preschool/school. It could be that in America this topic is not as relevant as in Israel, but I am having a very difficult time with it. I tell the teachers that he cannot have sugar at all. And they think that I am a horrible parent, "but you should see the look on his face when everyone else gets," etc. I send in special treats, but the teachers will often still give him sugar. I tell them it's an allergy, but they just think I am an odd health conscious mother.

My son cnanot have sugar. I know everyday when he comes home from gan if he had. He is crazily hyperactive, hurting his siblings, and he can't control himself, only later to fall apart (I guess when his blood sugar drops.)

I don't know what to do! Someone told me just to say he breaks out in a rash. Somebody else said to say that the doctor said he can't have sugar. I am tempted to just ask a doctor to say that to me (any doctor out there can say it to me?) so I can say it to them.

He has been so out of hand lately, and they just don't get it!!

Anyoen been there, done that....or if your child ahs a different allergy how did you present it to the morah?

Thank you!

Did you ever see a doctor about the hyperactivity? Just use his name if so -- it's not a lie really...or maybe you can take any doctor out there with a book that says not to give sugar?

It's so hard when babysitters and other caregivers don't obey parental wishes. I had to fight not to give my son foods he shouldn't eat. But the teacher only wants to give because she likes your son and wants to make him happy. She has to learn that in the end, he won't be happy, and he's just as fine with his special treats that Ima packed that are just for him.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 5:09 pm
my brother had the same thing. Everytime they managed to detoxify him, and his behavior in school would improve, the rebbe would give him candy as a prize for being good.....well then it was shot, and his behavior went downhill from there!

Its a tough allergy to have, both for the kid and teacher!

It is also a very misunderstood allegy, something that helped my brother alot was grape seed oil, it came in a liquid form and even with some sugar it helped calm him down. BH as he got older he outgrew the reaction, but it was very tough on my parents for quite sometime.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 5:21 pm
You DEF have to stress things. From personal experience, I know this!

shopaholic

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 8:04 pm
As a former preschool teacher - shame on them for not obeying your request! It's your child & whether he has allergies, reactions or not, if you don't want him having sugar, they should respect that. Is there a principal or director that you can speak with?

imaamy

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 9:25 pm
We have the same situation here. We asked that our dtr be given only one cookie and just the grape juice for kiddush, no other juice at the shabbat parties. Sometimes there were cookies, ice cream cake and candy! Well, there were many other parties thru the year and sweet things given from the school and it was a battle. We did speak with the principal who is aware of it and is trying to curtail it, but our school can get really out-of-hand with the treats. It is so difficult, I feel for you!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 12:42 am
How about you tell the teacher child has a "blood sugar disorder" or what, or a "metabolic condition" whereby his body doesn't have what it takes to properly metabolize any sugar. (For backup, check out your public library, there's much written on this topic...) And that if he does have any sugar at school you will notice it when he comes home, and it requires treatment. (And that if left untreated the body can go into convulsions or shock. Be as dramatic as you need to be to make a lasting impact on these folks who would otherwise disregard your request.) On second thought, perhaps state your request calmly and assertively, with the thought that you take yourself seriously and you expect the same of them, don't be apologetic, state it with certainty.
BTW, did you know that people who have low blood sugar issues are told to carry "aspirin candy" (that's what we called it over 20 yrs ago....) because it enters the bloodstream just as soon as ingested! (or almost as soon)
And another BTW, IMO not all children respond/react to sugar in the same way. There are kids who remain calm despite the sugar intake. But for those kids who really get a kick out of the sugar, become hyperactive, even a drop of sugar is a no-no. Personally, I do muuuch better without the sugar.

willow

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 1:10 am
def be adamant. I have found that here in Israel the ppl can just ride right over you if you let them. This is not a trivial matter and it is important to you. So stand up for your son and be adamant to the teacher and if need be go to the principal. Like other posters wrote def bring in a doctors note.

Health is a Virture

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 2:59 pm
Since there is less than a month left of school, I am just not going to drive myself crazy....but for next year, I have already decided that my husband will speak to the principal and the rebbe, and I will call his ganenet in advance. It may be even more difficult next year as the ganenet is Israeli.

I also plan on speaking to a rebbetzin who is anti-sugar and a chinuch educator and ask her for exact advice on how to speak to the teachers. If I need a doctor's note then I am sure she will be able to tell me how to go about this.....let's be honest with ourselves. Most doctors will just think I am nuts.

I do agree that not everybody is sensitive, or only just slightly sensitive to sugar, but my son truly is extremely sensitive to sugar. I am going to go and buy some grapeseed, and read up on it. I actually was wondering if there was something out there to counteract the sugar in case he does have....

amother

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 12:28 pm
I don't know how your child is doing right now, but I will post this in case it can help you or someone else (unless of course you actually had your child tested for a sugar allergy). A lot of people think that it is the sugar that causes hyperactivity but in actuality it is artificial colors, artificial flavors, and preservatives which are all derived from petroleum. Sugar is in the products along with the things I listed above, so there is a masking effect and sugar takes the blame. There is a non-profit organization called Feingold which researches products and has an approved shopping list. Our family is on it for one target child, and our food is very good. It works miracles, and I only wish I knew about it sooner. It is a lot of work, but I manage to do it and work full time. Once the child is on FG, they become very reasonable. My target knows that FG keeps him calm, and trades in non-FG food that people give him. I would like to post their website as it is a non-profit organization, but I will get permission first from admin.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 6:26 pm
I have this problem too!! I finally detoxed my daughter this summer...and litterally she started school and candy candy candy!

I am so angry! Then they complain when she does not behave!

amother

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 6:44 pm
if you go the FG route you can send in cupcakes, cookies etc as replacements for the nosh they give in school.

carrot

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 6:58 pm
Sorry if someone pointed this out before, but the topic of this thread is really funny. I keep thinking it means being allergic to both sugar and teachers!

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 7:13 pm
well our school does not allow outside people to bring in food...because there are varrying kashrut issues in our community. so rather than cause rifts, they say no one can bring in food.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 8:05 pm
You are not allowed to bring outside food in even for if it's just for your own child? What do people with severe allergies do? I don't know what I would do in that situation, but these children are chemically sensitive and I think it needs to be presented to the school as a special case. There is a child in my son's school that only eats in the office. I don't think that giving children foods that are hurting them is the solution to a kashrus problem.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics