Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Do you freeze food when flying

DREAMING

Post Sat, Jan 30 2010, 5:58 pm
we are flying. has anyone tried to fly with milk (in the luggage) that was not frozen? did it explode?

YALT

Post Sat, Jan 30 2010, 6:16 pm
Sorry, I can't help you.
But are you not afraid of it spoiling?

soldat

Post Sat, Jan 30 2010, 6:26 pm
it may explode, it may not. that is why I wrap each bottle of milk, container of yogurt, etc. in separate bags. so if one explodes it doesn't mess everything else up.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Jan 30 2010, 7:14 pm
DREAMING wrote:
we are flying. has anyone tried to fly with milk (in the luggage) that was not frozen? did it explode?

My son has done this a number of times and he says the best thing to do is to freeze it partially (1/2-3/4 frozen) and then wrap well in sealed bags to insure that it doesn't explode or leak.

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Jan 30 2010, 7:30 pm
We haven't had a lot of need to fly with any food at all, but the one time we did, we checked an ice chest with cold items and put some dry ice in. Everything stayed really well, even with massive flight delays. The only thing is that you need to get there early and fill out lots of paperwork. (Actually, this was a long time ago, pre-9/11 so who knows if they still even allow it. But if they do, it's a good option).

Motherof7

Post Sat, Jan 30 2010, 9:55 pm
They don't let you take milk or even yogurt on an airplane as a carry on. I fly quite a bit for business, so I freeze my milk and then put it in separate zip lock bags. The yogurt used to be easier when they came with covers, but now I tried a few times and they open, so finished with the yogurt unless you empty it into a 1lb plastic containter. The frozen milk keeps everything nice and cold in the suitcase. The best advice is to wrap everything separately so even if it leaks it is only in that zip loc bag.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 30 2010, 9:59 pm
We have frozen milk. Place them in Ziploc bags before putting in your luggage. And make sure that you use a separate piece of luggage for the food. DO NOT put milk, fresh or frozen, in a suitcase that has clothes, electronics, etc.
I would not bring yogurts. I would bring the yogurt drinks instead, which are sealed properly in the same way that plastic milk cartons are sealed.

Levtov

Post Sat, Jan 30 2010, 10:07 pm
I have frozen all kinds of food many times with great success. The luggage compartment under plane is actually freezing and food arrives solid frozen. Just make sure to wrap everything in double plastic bags just in case they throw around the box. Next, line a strong box with a garbage bag and insert all frozen foods. Then seal box well. If you want, you could wrap box with another clear bag. I have done this many times even overseas and food arrived solid frozen, no explosions ever. I even took frozen food to EY. Best thing ever. Take along small one burner elecric burner. Every morning defrost one dinner and warm up at night. Easy and delicious.

life'sgreat

Post Sat, Jan 30 2010, 10:55 pm
I have frozen milk etc... and put it all in an ice box. Firstly, it lasts longer, second of all, it has less likelihood to explode if it's in an ice box.

Levtov

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 6:46 am
The main reason why I use a box is bc after I consume the food, I don't have to shlep it home!! I never had any milk explode...and btw a box is an excellent insulator.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics