Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
No children allowed!

would you bring your kids to a fancy restaurant?
Yes  
 42%  [ 3 ]
No  
 57%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

proudmom

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 10:04 pm
Some parts of Canada you are not allowed to bring children into fancy restaurants. There was a lady that went to a restaurant with her hubby and toddler. The person in the front asked how many are you and the lady responded 3 and I need a high chair. So the man said I have a chair for both of you and not the toddler. The lady was upset and wrote an article in the paper about what happened. a lot of people wrote to the restaurant that did this and they were very happy because in a fancy restaurant you don’t bring children.

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 10:12 pm
Canada is strange on one hand the banks, even some stores have a little table with coloring books etc. And on the other hand in bold print you have condos and some buisnesses for only Mature adults no children or pets allowed.... go figure Rolling Eyes

sarahd

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 12:12 pm
I think the restaurant has a point. People spend a lot of money at this restaurant and part of what they expect to receive is ambience. Having a small child possibly fussing, possibly screaming, possibly throwing food, even talking too loudly does not contribute to the ambience. If I were going for a romantic night out, I would not appreciate sitting near a screaming child. And from what I have observed, at some point in the meal nearly every child will scream or complain.

I'm not saying never take your child along with you, but if you do go out with your child, stick to more casual places.

Last edited by sarahd on Sun, Dec 12 2004, 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

zuncompany

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 12:53 pm
I think it depends on the kid and the parents. We have taken Zu a few times to Estihana and he was so well behaved. However I brought two million things with us for him to do. If we lived in NY I wouldn't bring him. But since we only go in like every 3-4 months when we run out of meat and cheese we make a full day out of it. We go to the Ohel, Eichlers, anything else I need on 13th Ave, CH, the kollel store, and than we go out to eat. Its a special treat since we don't really have by us. But, I would never take him to a place like Box Tree or Lamaray (sp?).

As a child though my parents took us everywhere. They just made us special packages that were for going out only. Coloring books, stickers, games. They kept us busy and happy. We never complained. In fact we usually didn't need seats. HAHA. We would get there and go right under the table (our fort) and play quietly and my parents would get a nice meal. Smile

Sara

miriam

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 1:07 pm
Cool Parents.

sarahd

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 1:18 pm
zuncompany wrote:
I think it depends on the kid and the parents.

True, but the restaurant has no way of knowing whose kids behave and whose don't.

Quote:
But, I would never take him to a place like Box Tree or Lamaray (sp?).

Le Marais. Smile

[/quote]

Last edited by sarahd on Sun, Dec 12 2004, 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

zuncompany

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 1:31 pm
Thanks Sarad!

Your right, how would they know?

sara

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 2:00 pm
I wouldn't because it wouldn't be fun for the kids. the whole time you would be stressed to try keep them quiet, why put that extra pressure on yourself and them. I would go to a family type restraaunt where everyone would have a fun time and have something everyone can eat. I doubt the fancy restaruants have a kiddie menu.

just a cute thing. at a restraunt in south africa they give the kids a kiddie menu which is a coloring sheet and crayons.. so while you wait for the food the kids can color in their 'menu'

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, Dec 12 2004, 3:33 pm
it all hinges on the age of the children, their maturity level, and the occasion that is being celebrated. however, under no circumstances should carriages be brought into any fine dining establishment.

hadasa

Post Sun, Dec 12 2004, 10:29 pm
AweSumThenSum wrote:
it all hinges on the age of the children, their maturity level, and the occasion that is being celebrated. however, under no circumstances should carriages be brought into any fine dining establishment.

I would find that very hard. I wouldn't bring a toddler, who can run around and be disruptive, but if I want to go out with my husband and I have a nursing infant?

AweSumThenSum

Post Mon, Dec 13 2004, 8:21 am
I am x one to judge, but perhaps a night out w/ ur husband should b just that, a night out WITH YOUR HUSBAND!! a nursing infant can be left w/ a responsible sitter in between feedings, and if you want to spend more time than that, perhaps preparing a bottle of pre-pumped breast milk might work for you.

hadasa

Post Mon, Dec 13 2004, 1:06 pm
You may be right, I just happen to live a 2 1/2 hour drive from the nearest Kosher restaurant, and was imagining what I would do if they didn't allow carriages, since leaving a small (up to 1/2 year, at least) baby at home for so long is not an option for me.

zuncompany

Post Mon, Dec 13 2004, 1:52 pm
hadasa... same by us. We have a few places that are like 45 mins away that we can eat at. By the time we would get there, eat, and get back... way past the time the baby needs to eat. My kids don't get any bottles. I had to many problems with the older one... not worth it!

Sara
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics