Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Bringing a lift

shira

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 2:45 pm
Here's a question for all you Olim out there.........
I'm in the process of making a lift.
Any tips to share?
Do's and Donts?
Positive experiences/Horror stories?

shoy18

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 3:50 pm
parden my ignorance, but what exactly is a lift?

Tefila

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 4:52 pm
U r gonna bring a what shock Have u won the lottery or something shock An lift means an elevator in England...... unless u r referring to a face lift and shira u'r way too young Tongue Out and u'r face will be expressionless Exclamation . And u will have to constantly do it every 5 yrs. Exclamation How do I know Twisted Evil well w/h my extra chin I looked into it.
And even if I won the lottery I would never do it. Exclamation

Now pardon me please explain wha u mean Scratching Head

red sea

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 5:03 pm
the key word - I think - is olim.

A lift is when you move your stuff to israel.

technic

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 5:57 pm
ok my advice is get it insured - we know someone who sent a lift on a ship which.......................................................................................
......................................................................................................
............................................................................................SANK Exclamation

Tefila

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 6:03 pm
Tech LOL LOL LOL U prob keep u'r kids and husband in stitches LOL or is it u learnt from u'r kids
Oh and how old did u say u were again Twisted Evil

technic

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 6:13 pm
my kids keep me young - but clearly not young enuf Wink (did I say my age???? <whisper> 47.....)

Tefila

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 6:14 pm
47 yep so the saying is true we get more mature as we age Very Happy

technic

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 6:15 pm
us and cheese.......

mali

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 6:35 pm
If you ask me - DON'T MAKE A LIFT. It's very costly, and there's hardly anything out there that you can't get here. These days they dropped the prices of electrical items, and you're not gonna get cheaper if you ship things over. As far as quality, rather get a German machine here than bring over an American one for a few reasons: 1. They are built for your needs - the American machines are much bigger, and you might have trouble placing them in a standard apartment, and they don't necessarily adjust well to Israeli conditions. For example: Israeli laundry detergents are milder because the European machines boil your laundry, so you don't need an excellent detergent. The American machines don't do such a good job with them. For an American drier, you'll need a gas connection in your laundry room, which the European ones don't need. The ovens don't have a milchig/fleishig option, although they're much bigger. 2. It's very expensive to get service for your American brand machines, and for some reason they break faster here than in America (the ovens, for example, don't have good converters inside them for whatever reason, and eventually you'll have to switch to an Israeli-made one for about 700 shekels). 3. Really, these days there's no major price difference. And if you buy it here, you have the warranty and service here. Furniture is so expensive and takes up so much space in the container. Why bother. Get an Israeli dining room set, and buy a new one in ten years. It's still cheaper than shlepping one from the US. Think about it. 4. You may have to wait several months to get your things, especially since every Monday and Thursday there's a new strike here that goes one for two months. 5. Sometimes the Meches opens your container, and even if nothing's illegal, you may have a lot of Agmas Nefesh with everything being opened.
Think it through well before doing it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions