Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Chanuka Gelt vs. Gifts

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 12:19 pm
it says in sefarim that there is a custom on Chanuka to give money to the children

the Sefer Ha'Toda'a says that the money is given so that the children accept the "ol Torah" (yoke of Torah) forever

as far as I know, there is no source for giving Chanuka gifts

I got gifts growing up. My father was well-aware of the minhag of gelt and no doubt reasoned thus: what will be done with the money? the kids will buy toys etc. I'll pick out things I think they'll enjoy. Furthermore, he thought, gifts serve the identical purpose as money.

the Lubavitcher Rebbe emphasized giving gelt and personally gave gelt to the Chasidim on occasion

In addition to giving gelt to one's children, the Rebbe also mentioned children giving other children, relatives and friends.

There's a custom of giving one's children's teachers' gelt. Teachers will appreciate any money they get, any time of the year. Chanuka is an appropriate time though, because of Chanuka/chinuch.

what's your custom?

gryp

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 12:24 pm
and students as well. we always got from or schools and teachers growing up (not as a mandatory thing but it was very nice of them- even in seminary!), and many teachers give their students.

zuncompany

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 12:40 pm
I always gave my students. Also because I was teaching in a non-frum place, I would give them a dollar to be used to buy a letter in the children's sefer Torah.

With our kids my husband and I give a dollar each day and than on the fifth night twice their age in gelt. I got this idea from the family who makarved me. I heard the L. Rebbe not only stressed gelt, but said to increase it on the fifth night. Anyone know why?

sara

sarahd

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 2:50 pm
My parents were adamantly against gifts. They didn't give much Chanukah gelt either (we got to keep the winnings from our dreidel game. I think my all-time highest take was 35รง. Smile ) We got most of the gelt from uncles and grandparents. As a kid I resented not getting gifts, but as an adult I understand it completely and intend to do the same with my children, iy"h (but in bigger amounts, LOL )

de_goldy

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 3:36 pm
zun - 5th night = zois chanukah

sarahd

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 3:37 pm
de_goldy wrote:
zun - 5th night = zois chanukah

Sorry, zos chanukah is the eighth day. Guess again! Very Happy

Rivka

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 4:49 pm
I think it's coz on the 5th night it is the first night that there are more candles lit.
At home we got money which we ended up buying toys and really kids do not appreciate money the same way adults do.
I give my son toys Chanukah coz I don't think he will do much with money apart from eat it. I think when my son gets older I will give money.
Personally I prefer getting money, who wouldn't?
Thing is if children are meant to give money to friends, where are they getting the money from?? Sounds more like Purim to me.

Chanie

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 4:58 pm
I always heard that the gelt was to teach the children the importance of Tzeddaka. I also think that every yom tov there should be something of enjoyment for the children. This year I plan to give my son money for tzeddaka and a gift each night, that way I accomplish both. (of course, not all of them are expensive gifts... I'm not a millionaire yet)

de_goldy

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 7:01 pm
lol Sarahd - embarrassed Exposing my ignorance.
It was just the first thing that came to mind.
I'll try and remember what the 5th is then... hm... (there needs to be a thinking smiley)

gryp

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 7:20 pm
the fifth night is a very special night, it is the first night that there is more light than dark. light is a mashal for geulah, and dark is a mashal for galus.

Chanie

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 8:30 am
One reason that the 5th night is special is that the fifth day can never occur on a Shabbos. This represents a great darkness. The fifth candle symbolizes the great light of Chanukah, which can light up even such an intense darkness. There are other reasons as well.. I'll write it when I can think of them.

zuncompany

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 9:05 am
thanks everyone for explaining it!

Sara

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 10:33 am
Rivka wrote:
Thing is if children are meant to give money to friends, where are they getting the money from?? Sounds more like Purim to me.

AFAIK, it's the adults who are meant to give gelt to the children, not children to their friends (which does sound more like Purim.)

Quote:
I always heard that the gelt was to teach the children the importance of Tzeddaka. )

What I heard is that the idea is to test the children on their Torah knowledge and then give them the money as a reward. The reason you do this on Chanukah is that the goal of the Yevanim was to erase the Torah from Klal Yisroel and this way we show that the Torah is still alive and well amongst us. This would also tend to support what I wrote above, which is that adults should give the money to their children. Presents would probably be as good as money as a reward, but we know who else is getting presents at this time of year, so....anyhow, that's why presents were not given in my parents' home.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 9:24 pm
saraD, I heard the opposite - the Jewish kids shouldn't be jealos of the goish neighbours who get showered by gift at this time of the year.

I already got toys for our kids.

What I do try to do is to make it a special week - every night of chanuka we do something that all of the kids will enjoy - games, latkes ,downuts, chocolate gelt

I also like your idea of testing for Torah knowledge Idea

sarahd

Post Fri, Dec 03 2004, 12:15 am
ForeverYoung wrote:
saraD, I heard the opposite - the Jewish kids shouldn't be jealos of the goish neighbours who get showered by gift at this time of the year.

Yes,, of course, that's why people got the idea of giving gifts to their children. In the shtetl there was no problem of Jewish kids seeing their neighbors being showered with gifts, but in America where Jews and gentiles live in the same neighborhoods and the kids go to school together, it became a problem. The question is, do you want to solve the problem by imitating the non jews, or is it better to instill pride in being different and celebrating our own holidays in our own Jewish way?

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Dec 03 2004, 7:07 am
You have a VERY good point.

Now, what do I do with all the gifts I already bought?????

Also, my kids sort of expect the gifts, I even got 1 request for a utility truch w/ sirens, guess from who!! LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics