Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Do you follow up on gifts cards?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 2:08 am
I gave all my kids' teachers gift cards for 100-150 shekel apiece for Purim. The gift card site allows me to check the balance and I can see that only one of them used their card. The others are still full. I really want to see them used and enjoyed! Should I ask them about them? They don't expire until 2029 but I thought before Pesach would be the perfect time to use them. They're accepted in at least 50 stores, maybe 100, mostly frum clothing and shoe stores.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 2:11 am
No, do not ask them. And stop looking to see if theyve used them.
It was a gift. Now its in their hands. Now you let them use it when and how they want.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 2:28 am
Someone gave me a real nice gift card and I want to get myself something specific with it. I simply didn't get the time to go get it before yom tov so it'll wait till after. I hope she doesnt think I'm not going to use it

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 3:10 pm
I'm a playgroup morah. I very often get gift cards from gift card registery(sound very similar to your system) I collect them and wait until I have enough to buy what I want.
So instead of spending a $36 gift, I'll wait and spend a few hundreds. They're valid a few years so it's convenient!
In any case, it would be super awkward to ask them how they used it or why they didn't use it. Please don't!!

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 3:12 pm
Very tacky to follow up. It's a gift you gave. End of story.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 3:17 pm
I would be extremely creeped out and uncomfortable if someone gave me a gift card and checked out the website to see if I used it or not.

amother
Chambray

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:08 pm
I’m sure you mean well but please stop checking if they used it or not. Realize it’s a busy time and they might’ve not gotten around to treating themselves. I’m sure if they would know how anxious you are they would rush to use it Wink

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 6:07 pm
I'll be blunt: it's none of your business. Your acceptable involvement stops when you deliver the gift. I would feel both incensed and violated if my gift giver monitored my expenditures. They don't owe you anything more than sincere thanks. TBH your behavior is more than a little stalkerish.

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 6:17 pm
I would be creeped out if I knew my gift card giver was monitoring my usage and would honestly rather not get anything.

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 6:19 pm
Yep, I wouldn't use a card if I thought someone was monitoring my use--and this is exactly what you're trying to avoid.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 6:54 pm
This is one of the weirdest posts I’ve read here

kenz

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 7:02 pm
I get it, OP. I’d want to know too. But definitely do not ask them. Just assume they’re waiting to treat themselves.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 23 2024, 3:09 pm
Thanks all! Got it. Not following up. Cool
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics