Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Electric or induction hob?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 1:28 pm
We're moving house and the kitchen of the new house needs replacing.

We've got a gas hob in our current house but it's a hassle to clean. My SIL suggests an induction hob which is what she's got but I've never used one before. The disadvantage I see this this is that I'd have to replace all my pots and pans which will be costly as I have quite a collection of good quality ones which I use frequently.

My Mom has always had an electric hob and I did too before getting married. Never had a problem with it but everyone I've mentioned it to is advising me against.

Looking for more opinions!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 1:56 pm
Bump

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:37 pm
I have induction. I love it in all ways besides for the fact that it is delicate and when something fell on it, it cracked.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:37 am
amother Ecru wrote:
I have induction. I love it in all ways besides for the fact that it is delicate and when something fell on it, it cracked.

Thanks for the reply :-)

I hadn't thought about how delicate it would be so I'll keep that in mind.

Have you always had induction or have you used other types of hob? I'm wondering how it compares.

rivkie123

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:09 am
Love my induction. I only needed to replace one put bc the rest of mine were compatible so definitely check that. See if the bottom is magnetic and if it is you are good to go

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:09 am
No experience with induction but what about heating food on YT?
I believe induction needs to be covered on Pesach with a special mat.
It does become scratched from wear and tear.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 9:20 am
Induction is far superior to regular electric and in many ways is better than gas.

They don't heat up so you can literally put paper on the "hob" safely. This makes them easy to clean since nothing gets "cooked" hard and it also makes them extremely safe for children - or even older people - since the surface doesn't get hot so you can't burn yourself.

FWIW gas stoves are no longer being permitted in some areas for a variety of reasons and they also can have increased levels of pollution in your home. This wasn't so much of an issue in older homes that weren't so well insulated but new construction homes often are very well insulated and therefore pollution from gas is a significant pollutant.

Induction stoves or cooktops aren't more delicate than other electric stoves - almost no one gets a coil electric stove at this point.

There are issues in terms of frum cooking because of the manner in which the heat turns on and off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen