Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Greeting others when with husband

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 9:37 pm
When you're walking on the street with your husband, and you meet someone you know, do you greet them or ignore??

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 9:39 pm
greet them

lamplighter

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 9:39 pm
I greet them but I don't stop to shmooze unless they are from OOT or haven't seen them in years. In those cases I stop for a minute or two and make plans to catch up more if it's shayach.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 9:41 pm
cnc wrote:
greet them

Sure I do. I just noticed several times over yom tov that women that walked with their husband, basically ignored me even after greeting them. Barely even smiled back.

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 9:42 pm
Of course greet them but usually just a hello not a major conversation

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:49 am
Del

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:52 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Why do you ask this peculiar question? Are you so insecure about your DH that you're afraid to acknowledge that there are other women on the planet when you're with him? Does he have wandering eyes? Did he ask you to do this for his sake? Does he ignore his friends when you're with him? Perhaps your query would make more sense if you gave some background, such as that you have friends who ignore you when they're with their husbands, or you had some teacher or mother or aunt who told you to do this. As it is, with no context given, it makes no sense whatsoever.

OP said up thread that she was ignored by other women this YT and wondering if this is something everyone does or if she is a social leper.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:52 am
amother OP wrote:
Sure I do. I just noticed several times over yom tov that women that walked with their husband, basically ignored me even after greeting them. Barely even smiled back.

Sometimes they're so immersed with their husbands, they see nothing else.

zaq

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:03 am
What sort of community is this? Maybe where you live people are so insecure or so paranoid that they pretend the other gender doesn't exist except for their spouses. Where I live there are certain people who will greet only members of their own shul, regardless of gender. IDK what they think is going to happen if they wish Good Shabbos to someone who davens at a different shul, or even, dare I say it, nod and smile soundlessly. It should be noted that the religious leaders of said shul absolutely do return greetings and even smile and nod proactively.

DLKZ maybe these people don't wear their glasses or lenses on Shabbat and can't see anything six inches past their noses.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette