Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Burned out and tired… need side dish EASY recipes
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 4:13 pm
I am so so tired and burned out, I was diagnosed right before shabbos hagadol with rheumatoid arthritis . My family knows but can’t seem to understand what that actually means. I have my meats for for shabbos and second days but I’d love some nice easy side dish recipes. We eat gebrochts but can’t deal with too many pots or things to wash

ganmama

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 4:24 pm
Do you have an oven?
If so, roasted veggies are your friend!

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 4:28 pm
Roasted potatoes- olive oil, thyme and kosher salt. OR dice up onion with red potatoes and mix 1 packet onion soup mix with oil. Bake

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 4:29 pm
Bake quinoa in the oven. Refrirate. Toss with veggies and season on Y"T.

Oven mashed potatoes.

Bake mini red potatoes covered with seasoning and some water so it's moist enough to reheat on Y"T.

Bake some Yukon gold potatoes. When cool, pull off peel and have someone cube it for potato salad.

Roast a frozen bag of Brussels sprouts to eat the first night fresh.

Pour a pot of boiling water over a frozen bag broccoli and make into a salad with craisins and slivered almonds.

Refuah Shelaima!!

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Apr 25 2024, 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 4:29 pm
Frozen chopped broccoli- mix with mayo, 5 eggs and onion soup mix. Bake

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 4:33 pm
These are great. Thank you!! I have those things and will do them

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 4:45 pm
Refuah shelaima!

amf

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 5:08 pm
Bag of frozen broccoli + bag of frozen cauliflower + oil, spices and a generous splash of lemon juice, roast at 450 for 45 min on a cookie sheet

Bag of frozen sliced peppers or string beans + kfp soy sauce (or coconut aminos), ginger, garlic, oil, roast on cookie sheet for 20-30 min at 425

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 5:12 pm
I plan everything before pesach so I donthave to guess or think. I shop accordingly. we will repeat a lot of the same food over yomtov.

make brisket(s), freeze in halves or thirds. ditto for soup and ratatoulle. boil a bunch of potatoes, beets and eggs ahead of time.

pear sauce. apple sauce. apple pear sauce. fruit salad. or just eat the fruit. it'spesach, afterall

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 5:20 pm
amf wrote:
Bag of frozen broccoli + bag of frozen cauliflower + oil, spices and a generous splash of lemon juice, roast at 450 for 45 min on a cookie sheet

Bag of frozen sliced peppers or string beans + kfp soy sauce (or coconut aminos), ginger, garlic, oil, roast on cookie sheet for 20-30 min at 425

Do you eat kitniyos?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 6:36 pm
Roasted veggies- squash, carrots, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, really any veggies

Cut up apples, mix potato starch, oil, sugar together and pour on top, bake

Blend fruit- pineapple, mango, strawberries, really anything and freeze for a fruit dessert

Boil potatoes with salt water, drain after 30ish minutes, mash, and add spices and sauteed onions

Melt chocolate and spread on baking sheet, drop in dried fruit and nuts, put in fridge or freezer, and break apart for chocolate bark

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 6:51 pm
amf wrote:

Sounds yum
PSA, string beans are kitniyos

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 7:06 pm
I made cauliflower rice today that was delicious and very easy.
Put fried onions(prepared before Yom tov so that was easier) added a can of mushrooms, put a few bags of riced cauliflower with salt and pepper.

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 7:08 pm
I got myself a three and a half inch knife it makes it much easier..

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:25 pm
I'm sorry OP. I have arthritis too and at times it can be debilitating. if you are having a flareup or are in a lot of pain, try to work smarter and less hard. Make easy recipes in 9x13 pans, no patchka whatsoever. use shortcuts like peeled garlic, frozen chopped onions and peppers. I've asked my kids to scrub potatoes in the sink or peel them and carrots for soup. My kids love that they know how to prep most of shabbos food at this point with me supervising and directing! They are so proud of what they can do, and beam with joy as they eat...

some easy recipes:
chicken in 9x13 with oil and spices or a sauce
frozen bag of veg (broccoli/cauliflower/carrots) with oil and garlic powder
butternut squash soup with saute onion cubes and frozen chopped butternut squash and consumme
veg kugel recipe someone posted earlier in this thread
frozen fruit and some pesach cake (all store bought, just go easy on yourself and plate it... I've even bought cookies or presliced cake if I was in too much pain to slice)
refuah shelaima!

Fiveboyz

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:04 pm
Someone mentioned oven baked quinoa anyone hav measurements and directions ? Usually make in a pot one cup quinoa to one and a half water
Thanks !

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am so so tired and burned out, I was diagnosed right before shabbos hagadol with rheumatoid arthritis . My family knows but can’t seem to understand what that actually means. I have my meats for for shabbos and second days but I’d love some nice easy side dish recipes. We eat gebrochts but can’t deal with too many pots or things to wash

Can you get prescriptions for prednisone and methotrexate from your rheumatologist? My mother has RA and they’ve helped.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:29 pm
Sweet potatoes, roasted red potatoes with either oil/salt, or onion soup mix and honey, cauliflower/broccoli roasted at 400 with drizzled oil and salt.

Cut potatoes and put in pot with a whole onion, cover with water, add salt and pepper and cook until soft- its surprisingly good! If you want to go the extra mile, you can fry the cooked potatoes- easy and heaven.

yachnabobba

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 9:26 am
Mashed potatoes
Mashed sweet potatoes
Old fashioned carrot tzimmes

amother
Blueberry

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 9:28 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:
I'm sorry OP. I have arthritis too and at times it can be debilitating. if you are having a flareup or are in a lot of pain, try to work smarter and less hard. Make easy recipes in 9x13 pans, no patchka whatsoever. use shortcuts like peeled garlic, frozen chopped onions and peppers. I've asked my kids to scrub potatoes in the sink or peel them and carrots for soup. My kids love that they know how to prep most of shabbos food at this point with me supervising and directing! They are so proud of what they can do, and beam with joy as they eat...

some easy recipes:
chicken in 9x13 with oil and spices or a sauce
frozen bag of veg (broccoli/cauliflower/carrots) with oil and garlic powder
butternut squash soup with saute onion cubes and frozen chopped butternut squash and consumme
veg kugel recipe someone posted earlier in this thread
frozen fruit and some pesach cake (all store bought, just go easy on yourself and plate it... I've even bought cookies or presliced cake if I was in too much pain to slice)
refuah shelaima!

Do you have an exact recipe for the butternut squash soup?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics