Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
S/o its soo easy to make a dough just do it
Previous  1  2

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 11:27 am
I use a bread machine, it holds four cups of flour, it makes risen dough. Then I shape by hand, brush with beaten egg, bake.

A little steel rolling pin helps with making the strands but is not necessary.

After you have done it five times, it becomes second nature. Allow yourself to make every possible mistake during those five times.

A stick food thermometer is handy when you are still getting used to baking it long enough. That shows you the internal temperature. In time you won't need it.

You will need a wire cooling rack. That way the breads don't get soggy on the bottom because the air gets down there. And get a 'bench knife,' it is just convenient.

Two pitas are legal for Shabbos. If that's easier for you, just make that. Needs a hotter oven, for less time.

YouTube will show many videos on how to make all these breads. Look at a few.

Your ancestors made plenty of bread before electricity was invented, so while a mixer is convenient, it isn't absolutely necessary. A large bowl and a long handled spoon is enough.

No-Knead recipes are interesting, look that up on YouTube also.

Bread is a very forgiving food. The bottom should be a medium brown. If it's too light, the inside will be a little gummy, undercooked. If the bottom is black, you burned it, throw it to the birds and start over.

It is perfectly OK to waste some food while you are still learning!

You are going to love doing this, OP, when you get the hang of it.

One method is to watch another woman do hers. A neighbor, a rebbetzin, anybody.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note