Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much is too much??
Previous  1  2

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 2:18 pm
OP do you work full time?

I do not think asking for $15k is unreasonable based on the numbers and job description that you described. You’re probably being underpaid.

TR91

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 2:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
I started at 50k and got raised to 60K

now im officially going to be asking for 75K working here for under 5 years.

do you see why I feel like im being almost 'greedy'
the thing is I was advised by very level headed people (who are also employers) that I am justified in asking

its so uncomfortable to ask for money and I hate doing ittt Sad

What if you looked at it not as being greedy but as ensuring that one of their top employees doesn't get burnt out and leave, thus causing a big loss for the company?

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 2:38 pm
I don’t think you are asking for something unreasonable. It sounds like you’ve taken on a lot more responsibility and have longer hours than you originally had, so essentially you’ve switched roles/got promoted and now you need a raise to reflect that.

I was working at a job with a consistent small annual raise for a few years, and then I took over someone else’s responsibilities who had left, basically doubling my work load. I asked for a raise to 90k from 60k, because that was the amount that made sense for the job I’m now doing. I didn’t look at it as a raise but as a promotion, I wasn’t doing my original role anymore and the position I now did was worth more than the one I did before

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 3:04 pm
How many hours are you working?

If they don't agree to all of the salary ask, you can negotiate for a 401k, insurance, PTO, and it may be a good idea as part of the raise to ask for more paid time-off even if they can't offer a two-week vacation, at least some days/hours to take off a morning or a day occasionally.

You can look back at your job description from the past year or before and now and see what was added. Then, present those specifics along with your performance to explain why it makes sense to make more. Let it be a logical explanation vs. emotional and feeling like you work hard or feeling like you're burning out etc.

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 3:16 pm
My DH went in last year and asked for a 40k raise. He didn't portray it as a raise though. He explained that over the past two years his job responsibilities grew and changed and the job he was doing was a much different one than he was hired for. Therefore, the pay also needed to change.
He boss made a big fuss about it, but ultimately he said yes. He didn't even try and bargain - at the end of the day he knew DH was right.
If you go in confidently and know what you're asking for is reasonable pay for the job, then I say go for it
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics