Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much is too much??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 12:36 pm
im asking for a raise and I dont know the rules..

I'm being advised to shoot for the moon and ask for a verrry signifigant raise and worst case my boss will negotiate me down.
Part me of feels like asking for too much will reflect badly on me and come across as "chutzpadik."

I work for a small but growing company and recently I have taken on a tremendous amount of responsibilities, I have proven that I am dedicated, reliable, hardworking and im really interesting in learning and improving.
its been a year since my last raise and im no longer satisfied with the amount that I am making because my job is a little bit more high pressure and I can never really take off.

I dont want to sell myself short but at the same time dont want to come across as totally ridiulous.

(and there is no way for me to find 'market pay' my job is very very specific so likely anywhere I would go would pay me less because my skills are specific to this company (aside from soft skills))

amother
Green

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 12:40 pm
When I took my current job, my boss made it clear that raises are given to those who prove themselves and their value.
You sound like you did that and have what to show for yourself and I'm sure he sees it too, it's not like you're just asking randomly.
Be confident and unapologetic about it. You proved your worth, it's only fair you get paid accordingly.

amother
White

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 12:48 pm
I started my job at $35k and almost 10 years later am close to double that. I consistently got 10% raises and felt that was very reasonable. Are you looking for 10-15% or more like 20%-30%? Also you have to read the room in regards to the cash flow of your business. There were years I felt I deserved a big bump and maybe my boss wanted to give it to me, but the cash wasn't there.

I have the same issue that I can never really take off and honestly its burning me out. This year I decided Id like to work somewhere bigger where there is a little less of a burden. Money wont solve that issue for me. Its the size of my company and my boss not being able to do anything for himself.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 12:55 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I started my job at $35k and almost 10 years later am close to double that. I consistently got 10% raises and felt that was very reasonable. Are you looking for 10-15% or more like 20%-30%? Also you have to read the room in regards to the cash flow of your business. There were years I felt I deserved a big bump and maybe my boss wanted to give it to me, but the cash wasn't there.

my last raise was more like 20%

this is not a corporate kind of job with set raises and standards at all.. thats why im kind of in the dark.
I guess I also want to know if asking for too much money can harm me or he'll just say no way..

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:00 pm
amother White wrote:

I have the same issue that I can never really take off and honestly its burning me out. This year I decided Id like to work somewhere bigger where there is a little less of a burden. Money wont solve that issue for me. Its the size of my company and my boss not being able to do anything for himself.

now I see your edit.. yes I agree that after a certain point more money is not the answer. I dont know if I can keep this job forever, especially as my family grows bH

but for now, when I am here I certainly dont want to be taking work calls at 7pm without getting paid for it.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:02 pm
How much money are you asking for?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:05 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
How much money are you asking for?

I'm being advise to ask for $15k!!!

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm being advise to ask for $15k!!!

Doesn't sound crazy you can always negotiate down. But only you know how the company is doing financially nobody can advise you on that.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:09 pm
A little off topic from your question, but about skills not being usable elsewhere, just to note, 2 of my kids left very well paying jobs to go to an entirely different field where they were basically trained on the job. ( and you could maybe find out what people are paying for jobs with a similar level of responsibility)

But because they had proven skills (organizational, managerial etc) the new places offered very competitive salaries.

It really depends on the market though. One was right after Covid when employers were offering people the moon.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:13 pm
I don’t know what you make. I was making 40k and asked for a 9k raise and was given 6k. I came prepared with a list of accomplishments but in the end didn’t need to discuss bec boss agreed right away to a raise and thought about the amount over a few months and then got back to me with the answer.

You can ask for 15 or maybe 10 this year and ask for 5 next year

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:14 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
Doesn't sound crazy you can always negotiate down. But only you know how the company is doing financially nobody can advise you on that.

true.

im not worried that the company is struggling.. the nature of this buisness is a constant up and down in cash flow so I wouldnt let that hold me back because its a regular roller coaster here.. if he cant afford that increase now I would understand

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:18 pm
I appreciate everyones responses!

its helpful to hear other peoples outlook and experience.

I happen to struggle with a poor mindset and I tend to underestimate myself and the amount of money I could be capable of making.

I'm never sure if im being realistic or just insecure... I guess I will mention the amount thats ideal and I am totally willing to meet him where he is comfortable.

also I feel like it should be a good gauge to see where I stand in the company and how I can improve my value going forward (depending if boss has critique or reservations)

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:19 pm
I make around 48k.
After several years of basically running his entire business boss decided to give me a raise between 6k and 7k
But when it actually came to getting the raise he said will only give 4800 for now and hopes to give another raise soon.

I feel a bit taken advantage of. Especially that he agreed on a higher raise and suddenly changed his mind.
But maybe a raise is a bonus and whatever I get I should just appreciate.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:22 pm
amother Snow wrote:
I make around 48k.
After several years of basically running his entire business boss decided to give me a raise between 6k and 7k
But when it actually came to getting the raise he said will only give 4800 for now and hopes to give another raise soon.

I feel a bit taken advantage of. Especially that he agreed on a higher raise and suddenly changed his mind.
But maybe a raise is a bonus and whatever I get I should just appreciate.

I think there is a point where you can feel taken advantage of. if you are running his business to the point he would be in serious trouble if you left, you can really ask for more and expect to see it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:35 pm
I started at 50k and got raised to 60K

now im officially going to be asking for 75K working here for under 5 years.

do you see why I feel like im being almost 'greedy'
the thing is I was advised by very level headed people (who are also employers) that I am justified in asking

its so uncomfortable to ask for money and I hate doing ittt Sad

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:48 pm
amother OP wrote:

the thing is I was advised by very level headed people (who are also employers) that I am justified in asking

OP, I was in your position a few years ago
Started at 40k, went up to 50 ~6 months later after by increasing my hours slightly, and less than a year later I realized I was really being underpaid due to my taking on a lot of higher level work and responsibility and thanks to the advice I received here, I got up the courage to ask for a 20k raise... And got it.
Know your worth and shoot for the moon. If your boss is a reasonable, nice person, he'll work with you on this. If you don't ask, he won't come after you with an offer anytime soon!

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:48 pm
If your responsibilities increased I think it’s fine to ask. And to be ok with the answer if it’s less than you asked for.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:55 pm
amother OP wrote:

I would reframe, asking for a $15k raise is a lot but you’re asking for a pay increase to bring you’re salary in line with your increased responsibilities. More like a promotion which comes with a bigger bump than you’re average cost of living raise.

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:59 pm
I agree with mustard. I think 15k after a 10k raise can seem like a lot but if your responsibilities increased enough that your taking calls at 7pm and your work life balance is affected, then you should be a different management tier and entitled to a different pay level.

Bethany85

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 2:07 pm
It’s hard and uncomfortable, but keep this in mind: this is most likely one of the most critical financial decisions you will make. A few minutes of discomfort can be rewarded with literally 1,000s of dollars. Or you can opt out of the discomfort and that might cost you 5 or even 10 thousand dollars. And it compounds. Next time you ask for a raise, it will be based on what you receive this time. Just something to think about.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics