Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Pesach Allergy Vent

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:56 am
So we have multiple allergies in our family.
Various nuts, eggs, dairy. Plus wheat sensitivity so we avoid matza except required amounts at the seudos.
Different people allergic to different things.
BH no one is allergic to smell
Oh and picky eaters.

Pesach is exhausting.
Catering to everyone's specific needs. Making sure that I have enough filling, nutritious foods so everyone can fill up.

I'm just looking for sympathy and empathy.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:03 am
That's really hard!!
We have nut allergies and every single new recipe that comes out that I want to try has almond flour.
I can't imagine working around an egg allergy. I guess you don't bake?
And I'm off dairy this year for a sensitive baby and dreading it, I usually eat a lot of yogurt and cheese on Pesach. No nuts and no dairy is hard enough, the eggs must make it extra hard!
You have my sympathies!

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:05 am
amother Charcoal wrote:
That's really hard!!
We have nut allergies and every single new recipe that comes out that I want to try has almond flour.
And I'm off dairy this year for a sensitive baby and dreading it, I usually eat a lot of yogurt and cheese on Pesach. No nuts and no dairy is hard enough, the eggs must make it extra hard!
You have my sympathies!

No nut allergies in my house BH (though one guest can't have hazelnuts specifically), but I don't like the overload on recipes with almond flour simply because it is super expensive! I don't mind using it but not for every recipe! I wish there was more out there with potato starch. (We don't Brok.)

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:08 am
out-of-towner wrote:
No nut allergies in my house BH (though one guest can't have hazelnuts specifically), but I don't like the overload on recipes with almond flour simply because it is super expensive! I don't mind using it but not for every recipe! I wish there was more out there with potato starch. (We don't Brok.)

We do brok, but the only thing I make with matzah meal is matzah balls. I used to make cookies but nobody liked them after a couple of years. Yes, the almond flour is expensive! I buy a bag of it to make pancakes for those of us who can eat them. I'm just always disappointed when I find a recipe that looks delicious (I like trying new things) but it inevitably has almond flour.
On the plus side, cooking is easier because I am limited to a smaller range of dishes.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:11 am
amother Charcoal wrote:
That's really hard!!
You have my sympathies!

I bake.
BH there is not egg and nut overlap.

So I'll bake something with eggs and no nuts and label clearly.
Bake something with nuts but no eggs and label clearly.
And bake my 1 or two no egg and no nut recipes and label clearly.
(We don't do gebrochts).

It's hard work and exhausting which is what I'm venting about. This having to bake or cook three times to be able to safely feed everyone.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:12 am
That is very hard OP! You have my full sympathy!

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:36 am
We are allergic to eggs, fish, dairy and nuts and don't do gebroks. And minimal ingredients. And picky eaters (one son only eats grilled chicken breast, chicken patties or burgers - no potatoes even - and matza. I make loads of the chicken he likes before Pesach and freeze in individual portions, and any time he doesn't like what's on offer, he helps himself to that).
No baking. All chicken and meat is allergy friendly. Kugel is egg free, or scalloped potatoes (from imamother.com, skip the mayo, add more chicken soup for super soft, Creamy potatoes), or roasted potatoes. Salads are all allergy friendly, no mayo dressings. Don't do fish. Dessert is fresh fruit or sorbet or fruit compote. Snacks are potato chips, or apples/banana with chocolate spread, or plenty of fresh fruit and veg.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:43 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
We are allergic to eggs, fish, dairy and nuts and don't do gebroks. And minimal ingredients. And picky eaters (one son only eats grilled chicken breast, chicken patties or burgers - no potatoes even - and matza. I make loads of the chicken he likes before Pesach and freeze in individual portions, and any time he doesn't like what's on offer, he helps himself to that).
No baking. All chicken and meat is allergy friendly. Kugel is egg free, or scalloped potatoes (from imamother.com, skip the mayo, add more chicken soup for super soft, Creamy potatoes), or roasted potatoes. Salads are all allergy friendly, no mayo dressings. Don't do fish. Dessert is fresh fruit or sorbet or fruit compote. Snacks are potato chips, or apples/banana with chocolate spread, or plenty of fresh fruit and veg.

Wow.
That sounds stressful.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:51 pm
BH ds outgrew his milk allergy when he was 2 and his egg allergy when he was 3, but we're still dealing with nut allergies. When he was still allergic to egg, my mother bought a cookbook called A Taste of Freedom which had allergy safe recipes. I don't remember how any of them came out, as it was a long time ago. I do remember having meatloaf for breakfast (as a nursing mother I couldn't eat anything milchig anyway). Muffins n more is nut free but they use eggs.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 4:07 pm
I hear ya! And one kid has so many allergies that she has a heter for kitnyos so I have to keep all her stuff seperate and wash in the bathroom

MarthaS

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:28 pm
Shalom!
I get you dear! Have child with so many allergies they can eat kitniyos (we don't regularly) but even with that there's so little I can make It's nuts! No pun Intended.
Keep going, you're the best mom out there!
And do you maybe have nut and egg free recipes for baked goods?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 9:40 pm
We also have many many allergies. It's exhausting. Over the years, I'm getting better at streamlining. I bake cakes that are both egg and nut free. That's it. No separate egg free and separate nut free. We make egg free meatballs, no more separate pot of egg free meatballs, everyone eats the same. It made my life so so much easier.

Check out the website allergic2aallergies.com. there are a lot of good recipes there for everyone.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 9:41 pm
Oh boy OP. We eat very little on Pesach (plus no gebrokts and no dairy) but if you told me not to use eggs I think I would cry. Most of us learned to adjust to the restrictions of Pesach, but it is so so hard to take away even MORE things from the limited stuff we have anyhow!!!

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:25 pm
One thing I do is I cook everyone's safe food in bulk ahead and give each person and area of the freezer so I can easily find this one's meatballs and that one's cassava baked ziti and this one's gluten free egg free waffles.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics