Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Meat was left out overnight for 12 hours by accident
Previous  1  2

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 8:28 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
One minute, most meats are bought frozen. If it was from frozen then it's totally fine.

Most? No most are raw

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 8:29 pm
I live in Yerushalayim with plenty access to kosher food Smile

But, the meats we buy are always frozen. All the rolls of meats/roasts here are frozen in the supermarkets. (Chicken no, but meat, yes.) Directly from the butcher store, possibly not.

Ok, but that's one city in the whole world. I really don't think most people buy frozen meat.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 8:32 pm
amother Pink wrote:
Ok, but that's one city in the whole world. I really don't think most people buy frozen meat.

I wouldn't call Yerushalayim 'just one city in the entire world' when it's one of the largest Jewish populations, but I hear your point that things seem to work differently here than in the US. I wasn't aware, sorry for chiming in.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 8:39 pm
I wouldn't call Yerushalayim 'just one city in the entire world' when it's one of the largest Jewish populations, but I hear your point that things seem to work differently here than in the US. I wasn't aware, sorry for chiming in.

It’s not just the US. Almost every country I’ve visited, meats are sold raw, unless you’re specifically buying from the freezer area

lucky14

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 8:57 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
Telling you the unspoken truth…
Most people would use it.
Unless it is extremely hot in your kitchen.
Wash it with very cold water. And cook it today.

They would not. Most people would not use it.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 10:22 pm
I live in Yerushalayim with plenty access to kosher food Smile

But, the meats we buy are always frozen. All the rolls of meats/roasts here are frozen in the supermarkets. (Chicken no, but meat, yes.) Directly from the butcher store, possibly not.

Of course people buy fresh meat. Most main stores have fresh meat, frozen is cheaper so we often opt for that but it does depend on what type of meat. Some stuff we do fresh.

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 12:03 am
First I would wash it off in cold water and stuff it into the freezer. Once it's good and cold and partially frozen, I'd smell it. If it smells bad, obviously dump. But if not, I'd put it straight into a pan, into the pre-heated oven (to avoid that in-between warm but not hot temperature in which bacteria grow).

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 12:08 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
First I would wash it off in cold water and stuff it into the freezer. Once it's good and cold and partially frozen, I'd smell it. If it smells bad, obviously dump. But if not, I'd put it straight into a pan, into the pre-heated oven (to avoid that in-between warm but not hot temperature in which bacteria grow).

What would washing and freezing do to help rid the meat of bacteria already growing?!

Freezing inactivates the bacteria. Doesn't kill them. When you defrost they start to multiply and grow just like before.

And washing gets outside clean (maybe, depending on bacteria) but not inside!! And you are spreading the bacteria to your sink and anything it splashed on...

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 12:10 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
What would washing and freezing do to help rid the meat of bacteria already growing?!

Remove them from the surface and stop continued growth.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 12:35 am
amother Azalea wrote:
Telling you the unspoken truth…
Most people would use it.
Unless it is extremely hot in your kitchen.
Wash it with very cold water. And cook it today.

Totally not! I'm not very strict with all the FDA rules, but after 12 hours at room temp I'd never.
Maybe if it was a large frozen piece of meat that was defrosting for most of the time...But definitely not this case.
And washing it doesn't do anything except spread bacteria all over your sink

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 4:15 am
absolutely not. Don't think that killing the bacteria is enough - in 12 hours bacteria grows and adds toxins to the food. Cooking will not get rid of the toxins and may not get rid of the bacteria as well.

It's not worth it, food poisoning can be a lot worse than a day of upset stomach.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen