Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
What is chassidish life like?
  Previous  1  2  3  27  28  29

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:55 am
WriterMom wrote:
But this is making me think that if I find something interesting to read, I shouldn't take it to the bank no matter how many letters come after the author's name!

You know, this is really what hit me. As many times as I've said to myself and others (and apparently on various Internet venues!) that we can't take academic research too seriously, I was literally shaking when read the author's depiction of my post as an example of Chassidish thought or behavior.

I'm sure the author would look at me, shrug, and say, "Well, close enough." But any of us would see it as a huge breach in accuracy! My DH suggested I email the author to clarify my identity, but I don't think I want to open up that can of worms. The post was anonymous, so I can't really claim ownership -- though my excessive use of semicolons definitely serve as an identifier of sorts!

Like you said, just a good reminder to remember what happens when you "assume."

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 6:58 pm
That's a pretty wild story, Fox. Brightened my day, so thanks for sharing.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 7:51 pm
WriterMom wrote:
Wow, fox, thanks for sharing that.

I am hugely interested in the lives of religious Jewish women, since I was not raised around them, and consider myself still in the process of learning to be one. Perhaps, naturally, I'm the most interested in learning about the communities I see least in my OOT life - and chassidim are the big ones in that regard. My perception, right or wrong, is that charedim are like the MO families I know, but more so, while chassidus seems qualitatively different.

I agree with that one. I am Litvish, and married a guy from Williamsburg. My in-law's lifestyle seems totally different to me than my own, while the modern orthodox people I've been in contact with seem to be living similar lives to me but with out being as strict in some areas. For example, I am likely to wear the same outfit as someone Modern Orthodox, but perhaps longer and more loose-fitting. However, I have never worn a morning robe or duster like the Chassidim that I see, and their clothing tends to be more dressy than mine. There are hundreds of more examples I could give, but it's too much to write here. I could write a whole book about it- and I would try not to quote Fox if I did write a book. (I would also try to make it more interesting than Mitzvah Girls is said to be.)

GoodEnough

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 8:01 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
lech lecha08 wrote:
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
lech lecha08 wrote:
I have a question because of a picture that I saw. Yeshiva world news had a collection of Sukkos pictures and in one a rebbe (possibly the Bobov Rebbe) was lighting a menorah in his sukka. Is that a minhag or is there an inyan to that?

Hah? A Rebbe lighting a Chanukah menorah in the succah? Do you have a link to that picture. Must be that that year Chanukah probably fell on Chol Hamo'ed Succos. Wink

It was Belz not Bobov, sorry. Glad to know I'm not the only one who was confused though

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com.....50897

These are nice pictures of the Belzer Rebbe shlit"a.

This actually took place on Succos - my husband is going to find out the reason why the candles are lit every night on Chol Hamoed.

penguin

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 9:49 pm
I am extremely curious about how many chassidishe ladies are on the Internet. Does your community/rebbe not have any rules about it?

Is it supposed to be for business? Do you have a filter? Do you let your children use it too?

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 11:39 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I would try not to quote Fox if I did write a book.

Rolling Laughter

Oh, feel free to quote me! Would I have to be Bobover in your book, or would you switch me to Satmar or perhaps Belz? Or if you write about cultural conflicts in Williamsburg between the Chassidic communities and the "hipster" communities, maybe I could be an artist or something . . . My identity seems to be pretty fluid!

Ruchi11218

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 4:44 am
Irrelevant of how a person dresses or presents themselves, I live my life striving not be judgmental, and try to love and highly respect every fellow Yid (Jew). With changing times, we have a generation of chassidim who are growing up in a society of beautiful old school values, torn away by the lure of modernization. We have a generation of lost souls groping in the dark, trying to find their way home on the freeway of life. Many lack direction and can’t come to grips with their fate in life. They continually try to successfully juggle their chassidus in one hand, and the alluring modern life in the other. Their heart yearns for the authentic chassidishe way, yet they perceive that life around them screams from fakeness.

At the end of the day we are all Yidden trying our best. Irrelevant of being Chassidish or litvish, these are difficult times that we live in. Everyone is subjected daily to awesome temptations from the secular world. It's time to forget about these silly terms and stay focused on what is truly important to our Tatty in heaven.

freidasima

Post Thu, Dec 17 2009, 9:02 am
Fox, I only read your response now and the story about how you were "transformed" into a Bobover chossiditeh....hysterical.

But in spite of the fact that this book doesn't "make it", don't knock all books written by sociologists or anthropologists or psychologists (I have to defend at least the psychologists, don't I?!) about the chassidishe world.

A really long time ago I read several books by a Dr. Gershon Kranzler about the Chassidishe world, and his stuff was really beautiful and fascinating. I asked people who know the field and he was also considered very respected. And I was also told by Chassidishe friends that his stuff was correct (I wouldn't know). So I guess it depends which book and who the author is...

azoygeshmak

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:24 am
Edited--posted to the wrong thread.
Thanks for your reactions! I laughed.

Last edited by azoygeshmak on Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total

English3

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:33 am
Darling the ship has sailed a decade ago. This post is from 2007. How did you even find this thread?
Page 29 of 29   Previous  1  2  3  27  28  29 Recent Topics