Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
S/O do you throw out homemade MM?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you throw out or eat home baked mishloach manos from people you know
I keep and eat home made goodies  
 76%  [ 199 ]
I throw it right into the garbage!!  
 23%  [ 60 ]
Total Votes : 259

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 5:56 am
amother Stonewash wrote:
What’s that?

Number 2

salt

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:29 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I dont know, but why throw it out? Find dome place thst can take it.

Soup kitchen.
Tzedaka that gives out food.

Unless you really think it is not kosher enough for any Jew (eg. bishul nochri, or baked on shabbat, or milk and meat, etc) -
then either give to a non-Jew or to the birds.

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:30 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I dont know, but why throw it out? Find dome place thst can take it.

I've never heard of any place that takes donations of homemade food...

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:34 am
salt wrote:
Soup kitchen.
Tzedaka that gives out food.

Unless you really think it is not kosher enough for any Jew (eg. bishul nochri, or baked on shabbat, or milk and meat, etc) -
then either give to a non-Jew or to the birds.

These places don't take homemade food, for good reasons

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:45 am
We eat mostly healthy food in my house. I don't trust the germs from anyone's house no matter how clean. Someone's kid always has some sort of virus and I have a very weak immune system so I toss anything home made.

I also toss the junk food.

The only thing I keep is bottled water and whole fruits like oranges and apples and nuts.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:47 am
We keep yoshon so only if it's marked do we keep it. Also, I recycle if I start to run out. Most people are aware of yoshon when it comes to purim but every year we throw out a few items.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 8:08 pm
If there is something home baked that looks particularly yummy and is from a family I trust highly, I would probably put it out at the seuda... but even though I live in a community with a high standard of kashrus, it is not customary in my home to take in baked things willy-nilly. I would suspect there are maybe 1-2 items each year that we would use.

The rest (usually a random selection of hamantashen) I take into my non-frum workplace. I don't think any of the food is "not kosher" - it's just that we keep pretty tight control of what is in our house/kitchen. I also take some of the packaged nosh. This is very much the norm at my workplace that people bring in treats and leave them in the office for anyone who wants to have some as a snack/coffee break.

The majority of packaged nosh I usually regift into baskets. (We do hold onto most of the grape juice and wine.) Everyone in my community does this regifting and it is part of the fun of the day. We never regift exactly as it was delivered... it's more like you mix things up and create new combinations of things. I actually think of it as a game amongst the balebustas... 'how many people can I send a gift of goodwill WITHOUT my own house filling up with chommetz when we've already been cleaning for Pesach...'

I think it is presumptuous to send home baked items to people's homes on a day when they families are taking in many items. (Do you really know all the particularities of someone's kashrus?) It is always so chaotic, and sometimes it is not clear who a SM came from. I have never sent homemade-- I always make sure everything is wrapped in original packaging with ingredients and hechshers clearly on package.

Another thing we are particular about is making sure that what we spend toward matanos levyonim is more than what goes into our SM. That seems to have been something that helps us avoid SM excess and "keeping up with the Cohens" stress.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 11:08 pm
However you look at it, Purim seems to be such a wasteful day.

Every year at the end of Purim, I sit down and unwrap 100 mishloach manos. Near me is a huge garbage can.
In it goes bags, baskets, bottle tubes, boxes, confetti, fake grass, cellophane paper, ribbons, black jelly beans, and all the little nick nacks that got tossed in because it's part of the theme. Paper masks and small plastic graggers.

All the junk we buy to send out in our baskets from Mike and Ikes, to Laffy taffies to dot candy- those are not wasteful? Who would ever buy them if not for Purim?
Why is all this junk less wasteful than home-made goods, just because it has a hechsher?

Personally, if I would eat in their house, I would probably eat their homemade MM, and far prefer it to random junk tossed in just because it matches a theme.

I just wish there was a way to celebrate Purim without SO much waste, both in what we give as well as what we receive.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 11:12 pm
If it looks like kids made it, I throw it out. Food hygiene. If I don’t know who made it, I throw out.

I don’t think I get any MM from folks I wouldn’t trust.

amother
Milk

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 11:14 pm
I voted throw it out because I’m really not a fan of cakes and cookies but if it’s actual food I would keep it. (Usually not food) If I had kids to eat it I would probably keep it.

tf

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:44 am
mfb wrote:
Just a poll if you throw out or like getting home baked mishloach manos from people you know.

I throw out the junk food.

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:48 am
amother Wallflower wrote:
I've never heard of any place that takes donations of homemade food...

That's because there aren't any. Some orgs collect unused food from commercial establishments such as caterers and restaurants, but nobody accepts homemade.

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 1:12 am
amother Pearl wrote:

Near me is a huge garbage can.
In it goes bags, baskets, bottle tubes, boxes, confetti, fake grass, cellophane paper, ribbons, black jelly beans, and all the little nick nacks that got tossed in because it's part of the theme. Paper masks and small plastic graggers.

It's a shame you throw out all that stuff. I carefully deconstruct the MM I get and save packaging materials for making my own MM in the future. Sometimes packaging even becomes part of a Purim costume a few years down the road.
I can't remember the last time I bought any packaging material for MM. We don't do themes and each package is one of a kind unless I happen to acquire two or more identical tins, baskets, bags or boxes.

Golde

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 3:01 am
amother Wallflower wrote:
So what should those of us who live in beautiful mixed communities do? Does bal tashchis override Kashrus? My husband and I both work is frum settings.

You can say to my face when I or my dc comes "Thank you so much for thinking of me, I really appreciate it, that means so much to me. Unfortunately we dont accept homemade mishloach manot."
Im sure some people would get offended. But personally I would much rather know than have my mm tossed.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 3:03 am
tf wrote:
I throw out the junk food.

Pity. I'd love to get it. We're short on money and having Shabbos party set for the year would be helpful financially and emotionally. (We sell actual chometz so no worries there.)

tf

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 2:47 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
Pity. I'd love to get it. We're short on money and having Shabbos party set for the year would be helpful financially and emotionally. (We sell actual chometz so no worries there.)

I'd gladly give it away. The thing is my belief. If it's not healthy enough for me or my kids, I don't think it's right to feed other people the garbage. I don't even give to my cleaning lady because of it, so should I give it to another Yiddish person? This goes against my values and beliefs

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 3:43 pm
tf wrote:
I'd gladly give it away. The thing is my belief. If it's not healthy enough for me or my kids, I don't think it's right to feed other people the garbage. I don't even give to my cleaning lady because of it, so should I give it to another Yiddish person? This goes against my values and beliefs

A once a week treat is not going to destroy my children's health. If someone else is okay feeding it to their children, why make them spend the money and buy it themselves, if you already have it and are literally about to throw it away?

tf

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:09 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
A once a week treat is not going to destroy my children's health. If someone else is okay feeding it to their children, why make them spend the money and buy it themselves, if you already have it and are literally about to throw it away?

This is totally derailing the topic. You can start a s/o

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 5:56 pm
I am picky about eating from unfamiliar kitchens. Or kitchens where I know the kids are free to stick their fingers into the batter. My husband isn't that way and might enjoy homemade mm, but very often the home baked stuff are stale by the time they're delivered and what might have been delicious fresh is not anymore. It's a pity and truly heart wrenching to throw out but we won't force ourselves to eat it if it's not good anymore.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics