Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Another one with a #2 issue

NFC11

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 1:26 pm
I’m a newbie here and I’ve seen there are a ton of posts related to toilet training I only sifted through a few but I didn’t see any addressing the problem I’m having ;
I’m toilet training my 3.5 year old son (2nd attempt, first time was a few months back and he wasn’t ready) he has been pretty good with #1 he won’t tell me he needs to go but for the
Most part he consistently holds it in and goes to the toilet when I take him
Problem is he keeps doing #2 in his underwear/on the floor. He won’t tell me he needs or that he has dirtied himself. He doesn’t seem afraid to poop on the toilet just indifferent.
I do think there is an element of holding it in bc today alone he has pooped 4 times in his underwear and he never goes that many times a day so I feel like he’s only doing abit at a time …
Anyway has anyone successfully overcome this hurdle and can offer any advise ?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 1:37 pm
Very possibly encopresis.

What worked for us was
1) Use an enema every day for 3 days (to clean him out)
2) Set a time to use the bathroom (in our case soon after school)
3) Have him sit on the toilet for 15 min, if he does not do #2, use a suppository
4) If that doesn't work, use an enema

(based loosely on the Soiling Solutions protocol)

Basically for some kids that are "holders" they end up creating a backup of constipation which causes the muscles to get weaker and the body stops sending the signals that it's time to go.

Making sure the child is clearing themselves out every day (with a suppository or enema if necessary) resets the system and allows them to regain the sensations. It also accustoms the body to using the bathroom at a more regular time.

Most pediatricians use a top-down approach (miralax) but I agree with this protocol that a bottom-first approach is much more effective and quicker (days or weeks instead of months or more).

If there is also commonly constipation, and minor diet improvements aren't cutting it, you can use miralax also.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training