Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
How to write a children's book
Previous  1  2

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 9:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for all the advice

I would probably attempt to rhyme too if needed... kids love rhymes. Even when it makes no sense lol

For more on that see Dr Seuss

No no no! No rhymes unless you are spectacular at them. Don't just do them "if needed." Kids may love them, but parents will hate them and refuse to read the books or buy more of them.

And I am the biggest Dr Seuss fan. I love his rhymes. He really knew how to use words and rhyme and meter. Most frum kid's book authors do NOT and they are grating and horrible to read out loud.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 9:49 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
No no no! No rhymes unless you are spectacular at them. Don't just do them "if needed." Kids may love them, but parents will hate them and refuse to read the books or buy more of them.

And I am the biggest Dr Seuss fan. I love his rhymes. He really knew how to use words and rhyme and meter. Most frum kid's book authors do NOT and they are grating and horrible to read out loud.

Agree with all this. Besides being grating and horrible to read on the ears, the sentences are often written backwards just so it could rhyme. And then the whole grammar is all messed up. I don't want to write exact examples in case the authors are here but something like:
"I didn't hear what my mother was saying,
Because in the yard, a game of tag we were playing"

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 10:06 pm
Can you write
Like Seuss Geisel?
For if you do
And you write well

Then kids will cheer
And kiss your feet
And parents will
Sing in the street

Helicopters will halt
Plays will stop being played
As all join in
For a giant parade

The general will stand
With his great sword
To salute you smartly
As you get your award

And all the fuff-fuffles
Will tumble around
And the loonets will trumpet
Their lunally sound

Because books can rhyme
That is no big feat
But a well-rhyming rhythm
Is a wonderful treat!

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:21 pm
Bleemee wrote:
My advice still stands.
Most kids’ authors should avoid rhyme.
Excellent advice about the whimsy.

Bad bad advice
So you don't think there can ever be another dina rosenfeld?
How pessimistic

And I'm still wondering. Are you a writer?

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:26 pm
amother Lime wrote:
Bad bad advice
How pessimistic

Most is not the same as all.

If you are another Dina Rosenfeld, more power to you! But probably the vast majority of children's book authors, well-meaning as they may be, are not of her writing caliber.

So her advice is very good: MOST kids' authors (with a few notable exceptions) SHOULD avoid rhyme.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:27 pm
amother Lime wrote:
Bad bad advice
How pessimistic

Why does it matter if she's a writer? She's a reader. We all are. And that's what's important.
We read books to our children and cringe our way through them and can barely finish them because the rhyming is so silly.

GLUE

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 5:17 pm
If you are looking to write children's books for very young children;
I think there is a bigger need for early reading books, I can read books, then picture books.

I would not be surprised if early reading books are harder to write because you are tied down to so few words.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 5:57 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
I don't know you and have never read your poetry, so it may be amazing.

But many of the people I know who consider themselves excellent at poetry, even those who are called upon to write poems for others, write very tortured rhymes. I would suggest finding a highly critical reader to make sure that your poems flow smoothly and have good meter before writing a rhyming children's book.

For example: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....03133

This. Most poetry from “acclaimed” frum “poets” is abysmal. But so many people seem to love it and praise it so there seems to be a market for bad poetry, especially bad children’s poetry.

(I am a copywriter; does that count as a writer? Am I entitled to have an opinion regarding children’s books?)

Bleemee

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 6:04 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
This. Most poetry from “acclaimed” frum “poets” is abysmal. But so many people seem to love it and praise it so there seems to be a market for bad poetry, especially bad children’s poetry.

(I am a copywriter; does that count as a writer? Am I entitled to have an opinion regarding children’s books?)

You made me laugh about the market for bad children’s poetry. You are right, so I guess my advice was indeed bad advice.
I also think that the talented kids authors wouldn’t be trying to push their ideas into rhyme. They appreciate it when it’s done well and would agree that rhyming shouldn’t be the default.
I sometimes wonder if frum kids authors aren’t confident enough in their good prose and rely on the rhymes to hide that somehow.
And anyone who thinks random rhyming is simple to do well because of Dr. Seuss sort of proves my point. You probably shouldn’t be rhyming.
I won’t tell you if I’m a writer or not but one thing I’ll say, I’m a lover of and believe in the power of words.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 6:23 pm
To Rhyme or not to rhyme is the question. There is a definite place for both. The reason many rhyme for young children's books is because the meter is soothing and also helps for their early reading readiness. This is very helpful when learning to read. However, for a bit older children, if you have a very good story to tell it definitely does not need and probably should not rhyme.

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 7:28 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
To Rhyme or not to rhyme is the question. There is a definite place for both. The reason many rhyme for young children's books is because the meter is soothing and also helps for their early reading readiness. This is very helpful when learning to read. However, for a bit older children, if you have a very good story to tell it definitely does not need and probably should not rhyme.

Yes, meter is soothing. However, unfortunately, many frum authors wouldn't recognize meter if it hit then with a big stick.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club