Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
PSA: Beware of laxative foods 🤪 - apparently, some simanim

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:04 am
I am the OP of the “I hate blowouts - vent” thread from a few months ago. We gave DC some beets and other simanim and boy did we have the blowout from…ah…Blowoutland this morning. I’m talking everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Through two diapers (we’ve been double-diapering with one diaper in DC’s regular size and on top of that another diaper one size larger, which generally has kept blowouts to a minimum BH—thank you again to the imas who suggested that!), pajamas, sheet, blanket, and on DH’s shirt before we saw the extent of the…spread (DH picked up DC from the crib and the diaper contents got on his shirt).

Well, at least DC is not constipated anymore BH. Chasdei Hashem this happened NOT on Shabbos/YT. Zol zein a kapara, gam zu l’tova…very grateful to have a “sanitary” setting on our washing machine BH!

Beware of beets! (Yes, we had a clear view of the specific food particles and they were that otherwise lovely purplish-red color that is much prettier on the table than all over the sheet and blanket.)

And yes, DC got a bath.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:02 am
Op, she isn’t getting enough fiber!!
You say she’s constipated, then she had a blowout from some veggies.

Please give her more fruits and veggies daily!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:06 am
DC eats TONS of fruits, veggies and whole grains and drinks plenty of water every single day BH. Normally, the diapers are way better - better consistency, more contained, and more comfortable for DC. I think the constipation was because we had a lot more bread and kugel the past two days than we normally do because of yom tov.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:10 am
Yeah, I don't think large quantities of beets are such a great thing to feed babies.
LOL

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:12 am
I don't think beets usually have a laxative effect. They are just a high fiber veggie.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:15 am
Op, my kids never had problems with beets. Yes it can change the color of their bowel movements but it never seemed to cause explosive diapers. I wonder if your kid has food sensitivities. May be worth keeping a food diary to track when the blowout diapers happen. May be a gluten sensitivity or something else.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 7:58 am
FYI, in some people, beets can also cause discoloration in another area....

Kind of terrifying, especially when you know it's not a period....but it usually goes away after a couple of hours.

acemom

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:05 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
Op, my kids never had problems with beets. Yes it can change the color of their bowel movements but it never seemed to cause explosive diapers. I wonder if your kid has food sensitivities. May be worth keeping a food diary to track when the blowout diapers happen. May be a gluten sensitivity or something else.

One of my kids has sensitivity/ intolerance to certain foods that showed up as diaper blowouts. I was changing dirty diapers several times a day.
(We're still not sure of all the food that are triggering to this kid, but at least at 9 years old I am not changing diapers all the time...)

naomi2

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:30 pm
I had beet salad on yom tov and it had the same effect on me. I still enjoy eating it though
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics