Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help buying tzitzit online for boy turning 3

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:14 pm
our first is turning 3 soon. we're OOT (nowhere to buy judaica in person) so it'll have to be online. I'm a BT and I have no idea what to look for in tzitzit and what choices / styles there are. not sure whether to buy from a online judaica store I've heard of like eichlers, or just get whatever from amazon.

anything that he'll happily wear would be good. and the cheaper the better, since I assume he'll outgrow them and they'll get dirty anyway. he's relatively big for his age (like 80th percentile height and weight). any recs would be appreciated.

thank you.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:18 pm
Mazel tov!

Most people I know buy their young boys the PerfTzit undershirt tzitzis. They are the best I’ve found. I recommend size 3 for a 3 year old. My small 5.5 year old wears a size 4. You may be able to check the sizing/weight info if you google.
Also, I recommend the v-neck, not the crew neck, it won’t show under shirts as much.

PerfTzit V-Neck Undershirt Tzitzis Keter - Ashkenazi Meyuchad for Boys and Men - 100% Cotton https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R.....ss_tl

Edit- the above link doesn’t have size 3 but you may be able to find a different listing on Amazon or look on google, there are plenty of judaica stores that sell it online.

Edit- here is a link to size 3 from Eichlers

https://www.shopeichlers.com/p.....ize=3

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:21 pm
Eichlers
Doubleheader.com
Shirtstop.com

You can always chat with an online agent for help.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:25 pm
Keep in mind that they cant be cut. I get a size too small so ds feels more comfortable.

octopus

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:25 pm
I don't recommend a 3 for a three year old!!! Get a 2!! It's for ages 3-5. Keter round neck. Also if you need to cut the strings because they are too long you are not allowed to cut with a metal scissor. I think Judaica stores sell porcelain scissors (or the like)specifically for this.

octopus

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:27 pm
octopus wrote:
I don't recommend a 3 for a three year old!!! Get a 2!! It's for ages 3-5. Keter round neck. Also if you need to cut the strings because they are too long you are not allowed to cut with a metal scissor. I think Judaica stores sell porcelain scissors (or the like)specifically for this.

This sizing is for regular tzitzis not the undershirt tzitzis.

octopus

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:30 pm
https://www.shopeichlers.com/p.....58399

These are the tzitzis scissors that meet the halachic requirement.

amother
OP

amother Azalea wrote:
Mazel tov!

Most people I know buy their young boys the PerfTzit undershirt tzitzis. They are the best I’ve found. I recommend size 3 for a 3 year old. My small 5.5 year old wears a size 4. You may be able to check the sizing/weight info if you google.
Also, I recommend the v-neck, not the crew neck, it won’t show under shirts as much.

PerfTzit V-Neck Undershirt Tzitzis Keter - Ashkenazi Meyuchad for Boys and Men - 100% Cotton https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R.....ss_tl

Edit- the above link doesn’t have size 3 but you may be able to find a different listing on Amazon or look on google, there are plenty of judaica stores that sell it online.

Edit- here is a link to size 3 from Eichlers

https://www.shopeichlers.com/p.....ize=3

thank you! so helpful. can you talk about the different styles -- vneck vs crewneck you covered. good info. but what about mesh vs. not mesh vs whatever else

amother Chartreuse wrote:
Eichlers
Doubleheader.com
Shirtstop.com

You can always chat with an online agent for help.

I'm sorry, but is this an AI post? the 2nd link leads to a nonexistent website and the 3rd leads to an embroidery shop in utah.

amother
Azalea

octopus wrote:

The keter undershirt Tzitzis run differently. My son was a small 3 year old and fit well into a size 3.

And yes many judaica stores will cut the strings for you with a plastic scissor when you buy them.

octopus

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm sorry, but is this an AI post? the 2nd link leads to a nonexistent website and the 3rd leads to an embroidery shop in utah.

Those are real stores that have tzitzis so I doubt it's AI generated. but the websites are slightly different than posted. Its doubleheaderusa.com and shirtstopusa

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:20 pm
They run big. I get a size 3 for my 4.5 year old.
PerfTzit

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:23 pm
Size two is perfect for my 3 year old. I also don't mind that it's a bit shorter on him - I don't even have to tuck it into his pants and it doesn't stick out of his shirt. Much neater.
The tshirt/undershirt tzitzis are nice because they stay in place more and don't twist around so much.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:42 pm
I like the keter or mefoar v neck undershirt tzitzis. Perftzit runs bigger than the above and is a thinner cotton.
Unless your child is very chubby, I would start with smaller size. It's much neater and strings are easier to manage. For reference my average sized five year old recently started wearing 3s. He was wearing 2 since upsherin. My 7 year old is in a 5

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 11:46 am
hi, I'm confused on what pros and cons are of a t-shirt model like perftzit versus a mesh model. we live in a warm place, so less material is better.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 11:53 am
My petite 4 yo wears a regular cotton round cut tzitzis size 8. (8" across. Its the smallest size).
We got him the shirt tzitzis but they run very wide and thick. It felt hotter that a think hanes undershirt +tzitzis. On really hot days he just skips the undershirt and the tzitzis is cotton and decently comfy.

I like sizing down so that the strings aren't too long.
I wash his and dhs tzitzis in a large mesh bag and then iron out the fabric and strings. One if my favorite chosen to do Smile

Mefoar sells these tzitzis. It's cotton/Poly size 8 round neck little boy tzitzis.

Mazal tov!!!!

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 11:55 am
amother OP wrote:
hi, I'm confused on what pros and cons are of a t-shirt model like perftzit versus a mesh model. we live in a warm place, so less material is better.

Neither dh nor my son liked the mesh. They claim it is itchy. Also there is machlokes if the mesh can be considered a beged. Some ppl who sleep with tzitzis use it for bed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics