Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
Green poop and fussy 4 week old?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:37 pm
My baby has been on the Enfamil dairy gentlease from birth. He was fine the first 3 weeks. His poop was a regular yellowish color.
The last week he's been so miserable about an hour after eating. Right after eating he's fine and calm and even falls asleep. He wakes up crying like he's in pain.
It seems like he's having a hard time pooping. He used to poop a few times a day and now it's just little spots here and there.
I took his temperature rectally and that made him poop. His poop is green but similar in consistency to the previous yellow one. Also the last of his poop changes from green to yellowish.
He is so much calmer afterwards.
Google says green poop is ok and might be from the iron. But I see he is clearly not ok.
Can it be a milk intolerance? How would I know?
Should I switch him to soy based?

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:43 pm
No idea but just re pooping, the fridababy windi is amazing and really works

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:48 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
No idea but just re pooping, the fridababy windi is amazing and really works

I just googled this. Interesting. Basically does the job of a rectal thermometer, just fancier and maybe safer.
The thing is I also read not to do that method too often because you're training the baby to only poop this way, when stimulating the rectum.
I already did it twice this week. It was such a relief to him. I'm just wondering how often is too often.

thegiver

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:59 pm
Until they learn how to “go” their stools will cause them discomfort. For my baby that was 3 months. Avoid foods that cause your baby to feel bloated like cucumbers melons garlic onion beans and bean products such as chummus falafel etc

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 10:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
I just googled this. Interesting. Basically does the job of a rectal thermometer, just fancier and maybe safer.
The thing is I also read not to do that method too often because you're training the baby to only poop this way, when stimulating the rectum.
I already did it twice this week. It was such a relief to him. I'm just wondering how often is too often.

Idk never had this or considered it
You can also just massage the belly and bicycle the legs up and down, in general

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 10:06 pm
Green poop is not a concern if the consistency is the same. If it looks grainy and as green as spinach then it could be sensitivity to dairy.
Are you sure you use the correct amount of water? Sometimes when the formula is too concentrated it could cause poop issues.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 10:11 pm
My baby was allergic to many things, one of the first signs was fussiness and excessive pooping. The diapers were foamy and looked like split pea soup and had streaks of blood (hard to see but doctor saw right away). Plus no consistent weight gain.
Good luck!

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 10:18 pm
Ask your doctor to do a an occult blood test on the baby’s stool. If there is occult blood (small amounts of blood you can’t see but shows up on the test) the baby probably has a cow’s milk protein allergy. One of my children had this and the doctor did the test in the office after the baby didn’t gain weight and that’s how we diagnosed it. I hope your baby feels better soon!

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 10:22 pm
Some of my babies had green poop. It’s from formula. Once they start eating food it changes.
It doesn’t mean they’re allergic.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 10:35 pm
He's gaining beautifully. Yes I'm using the correct formula ratio.
The consistency is pretty normal, not foamy or bloody at all.
I'll ask my pediatrician about that stool test.
I was just wondering if the green color is connected to him being more fussy.
He also eats very frequently. At the 2 hour mark from when I began feeding him he's already screaming and eats as if he hadn't eaten in hours lol. He takes between 2 and 3oz per feeding.
He does give me a 3 sometimes 4 hour stretch at night.
I never had a baby that was sensitive to milk so I really don't know if this is it or it's his body just getting used to pooping and needs to regular itself.
It's hard to remember from kid to kid if this is what it was like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding