Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Why are RH and YK depressing and difficult?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 2:32 am
I've had a really hard few years and as long as I am just getting on with my daily routine, I am coping just fine. But now that Rosh Hashana is coming, I feel extremely depressed and the idea of going to shul or hosting or being invited feels like it will be traumatic. I am crying most of the day just thinking about it.

I don't know why particularly this time of year is so hard on me - the difficult things that happened to me were at others times of the year - maybe just because I know last year was when this year was decided, and I don't want to cry out to Hashem anymore only for Him to say no again? I feel broken and cynical and guilty for how I feel.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 2:54 am
Can you make it easiest for yourself?
Don't host etc
Find a different shul if that will be more comfortable
(I like to go where I'm anonymous)
We don't know why things happen..
I feel for you and hope you see sweeteness even before RH!

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 3:17 am
Don't host if it's going to be a burden and take away from your Simchas YT. They are days of awe but they're also festivals in which you're supposed to rejoice

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 5:55 am
There are many reasons for this period being difficult. Personally my reasons are:
Being overwhelmed by the demands of cooking and general preparations for YT.
Kids are barely back in school and I just start to feel like I'm getting my life back, when boom- vacation time again, starting from scratch to acclimatize the little one to day care afterwards.
Dh is the the shul a lot, I'm home alone with all the kids bouncing off the walls. Even worse when fasting. I'm a terrible faster.
It's a heavy time. Lots of chesbon nefesh, which inevitably means thinking about all the aveiros we've done.
A girl I was responsible for mentoring committed suicide after the chagim two years ago and I still blame myself and wonder if I'd only been more involved and aware, if things could have been different... if she could have been written in the book of life...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur