Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Stuffed cabbage question

corolla

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 8:10 am
You're supposed to freeze the cabbage first right?
Do I check it before or after freezing? Meaning, will the leaves be easier to pull apart without breaking after freezing?

advocate

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 8:12 am
Yes, that's why people recommend freezing

Hatzlocha rabba!

singleagain

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 8:32 am
But you need to freeze it for like 24 hours. That's why some ppl prefer to boil it.

However I don't know when to check if boiling

corolla

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 8:43 am
singleagain wrote:
But you need to freeze it for like 24 hours. That's why some ppl prefer to boil it.

However I don't know when to check if boiling

Not a problem. Planning to do it on Sunday, so will freeze over Shabbos.

Is it necessary to cut out the rib from each leaf before filling?

singleagain

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 8:50 am
corolla wrote:

That I'm not sure. I just remember my mom telling me it's either freeze or boil.... I can ask

I'm not sure which part of the leaf is the rib....

corolla

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 8:51 am
singleagain wrote:
That I'm not sure. I just remember my mom telling me it's either freeze or boil.... I can ask

I'm not sure which part of the leaf is the rib....

The thick part in th middle

singleagain

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 8:53 am
corolla wrote:
The thick part in th middle

I don't think you have to because I have eaten plenty of stuffed cabbage with that part in the middle.
Just make sure it gets cooked soft enough to cut.

corolla

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 8:58 am
singleagain wrote:
I don't think you have to because I have eaten plenty of stuffed cabbage with that part in the middle.
Just make sure it gets cooked soft enough to cut.

Thanks! Will try it.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 9:04 am
corolla wrote:

I find that it takes at least 24 hours to defrost

poemmom

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 9:10 am
I first tried both ways (freezing vs boiling) years ago and have always stuck with boiling since. The freezing to me gave a worse texture, and in the end didn't really save time or effort. Even with a pot thats not quite big enough. Just partially core the end of the cabbage (after removing outer layers), cover with water, and bring to a boil. If its not totally covered its fine. you can move it around, and start taking off outer layers with tongs while it continues to soften inside. Pile them up to cool as you go. Meanwhile you can be making the sauce. When its cool enough to handle, and you have the meat/rice mix ready, lay a leaf on your plate with the raised ridge in the middle up. That's the rib. Just shave it off so its not raised but you didnt cut it out completely or the leaf would break.

corolla

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 9:17 am
poemmom wrote:
I first tried both ways (freezing vs boiling) years ago and have always stuck with boiling since. The freezing to me gave a worse texture, and in the end didn't really save time or effort. Even with a pot thats not quite big enough. Just partially core the end of the cabbage (after removing outer layers), cover with water, and bring to a boil. If its not totally covered its fine. you can move it around, and start taking off outer layers with tongs while it continues to soften inside. Pile them up to cool as you go. Meanwhile you can be making the sauce. When its cool enough to handle, and you have the meat/rice mix ready, lay a leaf on your plate with the raised ridge in the middle up. That's the rib. Just shave it off so its not raised but you didnt cut it out completely or the leaf would break.

When do you check it, though?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes