Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Are you/Did you fast today? Why or Why Not?
Previous  1  2  3

Are you fasting?
yes  
 30%  [ 50 ]
half day  
 6%  [ 10 ]
I'm chassidish and don't fast  
 7%  [ 12 ]
pregnant/nursing so not fasting  
 47%  [ 78 ]
other, please specify  
 7%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 163

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 7:01 pm
I did...I mean I am...but I was baking cinnamon buns and I ate a pecan by mistake. embarrassed

jemappelle

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 8:25 pm
the half day option is interesting- ive never heard of it aside for chinuch purposes for kids close to bar/bas mitzvah...I had asked my husband if there was any point in my fasting half a day (am nursing) and he said no point at all.

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 8:34 pm
I fasted till 3pm. I've got an awful sinus infection and that was the longest I could last without taking medication. dh said since its not one of the major fasts, I could break it if I feel really awful.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 8:44 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
I fasted till 3pm. I've got an awful sinus infection and that was the longest I could last without taking medication. dh said since its not one of the major fasts, I could break it if I feel really awful.

aww I can sympathize. I am just getting over a sinus infection. I had one of the worst headache of my life last week from the infection. I am also getting over bronchitis at the same time.

mommalah

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 9:36 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Another voice for sick when don't eat... I don't fast since my dd isn't 2 yet.
What does your dd not yet 2 have to do with not fasting? Is it b/c technically you are considered a "meineket" until your child is 2?

anonymom

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 10:13 pm
mommalah wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Another voice for sick when don't eat... I don't fast since my dd isn't 2 yet.
What does your dd not yet 2 have to do with not fasting? Is it b/c technically you are considered a "meineket" until your child is 2?

Yes that's it. My baby was born in the 9 days two years ago, so my husband asked me not to fast today.

(I didn't have to fast Tisha B'av the year he was born.)

ltlesmartmom

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 10:29 pm
my baby is six weeks old and I didnt feel upto it

curlytop

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 10:31 pm
another vote for nursing/no fasting.
nursing is great for these types of fasts, but I find it very hard to nurse thru 9 Av/ YK...
not looking forward.
BTW- I think my husband was more than happy that I didnt fast..since I was BH able to take care of the kids alone.
Tisha B'av it will be 50/50!!

mom2bsn

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 10:46 pm
whats the deal with tisha bav if your nursing full time--no bottles..no pumping. is it possible that I will b able to get a heter to do shiurim? Is there a point in calling a rav or the answer will be no? I didnt fast well even when I wasnt married..

curlytop

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 11:05 pm
You never know... but I have never heard of a heter..
let me know as I am nursing FT as well no bottles

mommalah

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 11:24 pm
I didn't fast b/c of a medical issue, but prior to this medical issue I never saw a reason not to(even when nursing and/or pregnant). Kinda feel like I cheated or something...

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 11:43 pm
Another vote for nursing - no fasting today!! I wonder how I'll manage Tisha Bav - ds is 10.5 months and refuses to eat anything, no bottles,pacis or anything.
I am chasidish and I've never heard of women on my side of the family not fasting b/c they're chasidish until I married dh. In his family the women only fast TB and YK so that's what my dh wants me to do, but my mother doesn't understand. She says she always fasted every fast no matter nursing or pg. I do whatever dh wants but it usually wasn't such an issue since I was either pg or nursing.

bigmomma

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 11:49 pm
Lady Godiva, me too! I was baking chocolate danishes and tasted the coffee whitener to see if it was not spoiled. What is it about fast days that prompts people to bake?

jewgal84

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 5:20 pm
bigmomma wrote:
Lady Godiva, me too! I was baking chocolate danishes and tasted the coffee whitener to see if it was not spoiled. What is it about fast days that prompts people to bake?

Takes up time..
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days