Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Are you/Did you fast today? Why or Why Not?
1  2  3  Next

Are you fasting?
yes  
 30%  [ 50 ]
half day  
 6%  [ 10 ]
I'm chassidish and don't fast  
 7%  [ 12 ]
pregnant/nursing so not fasting  
 47%  [ 78 ]
other, please specify  
 7%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 163

Cdlf

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 1:25 pm
Just curious how many of us are fasting or did fast the full day. Good Luck to all!!

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 1:32 pm
The poll is not accurate. I believe Chassidish women fast for a half day, not skip it altogether (unless they are pregnant or nursing).

I answered half day.

Cdlf

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 1:34 pm
Sorry to disagree but the Chassidishe women in my family just don't fast. But I delayed my coffee and breakfast until 11:30 bec. I felt like doing something.

octopus

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 1:35 pm
I am nursing.
The past couple of years I have been nursing and pregnant, and only fasted on yom kippur and tisha b'av.
When I am not, I fast the whole day.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 1:50 pm
difr wrote:
Sorry to disagree but the Chassidishe women in my family just don't fast. But I delayed my coffee and breakfast until 11:30 bec. I felt like doing something.

That does not make it a rule for ALL chassidishe families. There is no one rule.
Some hold that a mother of children should not fast at all, but do encourage girls to fast (except for tisha bav and YK).
Others encourage girls and women to fast only half a day.
Others hold that only pregnant and nursing should not fast.

zufriedene

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 1:53 pm
I'm very chasidish, and am fasting, when I was in my childbearing years although it was recommended
not to fast. today BH I have no excuse, have 7 minutes to go, am actually faint and proud of myself to contributed to the significance of the churban.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 1:58 pm
At my stage in life so many of us are already taking medications that we have to eat or drink within the shiur in order to take our pills...the only day that I "play round" them is YK and even then this year the doctor told me that I must take one of them with water and must take it at a particular time so it can't be "played with"...oh well.. the Ribono Shel Olam will have to make allowances, after all he gave me the illness...

chaylizi

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 2:01 pm
I'm pregnant. but the women in dh's family don't fast anyway, except for tisha b'av & yk.

octopus

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 2:05 pm
freidasima wrote:
At my stage in life so many of us are already taking medications that we have to eat or drink within the shiur in order to take our pills...the only day that I "play round" them is YK and even then this year the doctor told me that I must take one of them with water and must take it at a particular time so it can't be "played with"...oh well.. the Ribono Shel Olam will have to make allowances, after all he gave me the illness...

my father is a rav and many older ppl ask him about medications -some of them being very important to take (like for the heart). My father begs them to take it. (he tells them how to take it). So many unnecessary fainting spells and ch'v worse things happen when ppl don't take their meds. freidasima, I will even go as far as to say that it is a mitzvah to take your meds on yom kippur. don't feel bad! this is what Hashem wants specifically from you. Otherwise you put yourself in dangers way.

dora

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 2:12 pm
I only fast on 9 av and yk, I get sick when I dont eat.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 2:19 pm
Another voice for sick when don't eat... I don't fast since my dd isn't 2 yet.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 2:23 pm
I actually fasted this time. I often don't do minor fasts because I don't fast well. I started off with trying to get to chazot. I left work after half a day and took it easy at home. I slept through ds's nap. When I woke up, there wasn't that much to go.

mamacita

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 2:42 pm
I generally only fast 9Av and YK since I get very ill, even more so since I'm nursing.

Today I had a stomach bug so I sort of fasted anyway Tongue Out ick

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 2:45 pm
chasidish + kimpeturin so no fasting here.

GetReal

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:00 pm
Pregnant and nursing, so I'm not fasting. I'm nervous for Tisha B'av and Yom Kippur (but by Yom Kippur DS will prob. be weaned)

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:03 pm
I fast every fast because I have no reason not to.

ss321

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:04 pm
had a baby within last wk, so my dh said it would be assur for me to fast anything other than yk
in general though I only fast on YK and tisha bav. that was pretty much the minhag in my parents home, and that is how it goes in my husbands family also...both of us come from heimish/chassidish backgrounds, and in general, women dont fast, fast a "taynis shaos", fast only till chatzos, whatever...so even if I were still pregnant, or if I hadnt had a baby last wk, doubt I woudla fasted anyway.

yummydd

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:04 pm
My families chassidish, My mother and sisters fasted, I didnt because im nursing

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:05 pm
Mazel Tov, ss321. I didn't know you had a baby. Much nachas.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:06 pm
Thanks Happy2bamommy...we have an old man here in shul who used to give a weekly shiur and on YK decided to do without his bp pills...and had a stroke before mincha. B'H he survived and is home with full time help...but now my husband gives this man's shiur as well as his own...and it was a push for dh to take his bp pills this coming Tisha Be'av and YK as I have been asking him to do for two years since having been put on them.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days