Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
He refuses to go

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:24 pm
My 3 yr old is completely toilet trained... besides for the fact that he refuses to go on the toilet

1 he wakes up dry each morning
2 per the advice of my pediatrician I have been sending him in underwear to morah. He refuses to go on the toilet and holds it in for the entire day (9- 3)
3 when he gets home, he let's me know that he needs to go and we change him into a pull up
4 on a few occasions, when I change him to a pull up, I saw a small wet spot on his underwear, which means that he started going and he stopped himself!

Basically, if he wanted to be trained, he would be trained in an hour. Unfortunately he seems to have some sort of anxiety around going on the toilet or potty and I just don't know how to help him. (I have tried so many different programs and charts and incentives, and all his friends are toilet trained. It's clearly not a matter of inventive or motivator)
Whenever I bring up going on the toilet or potty, he looks at me with this major anxiety in his eyes and just says a flat no. I just don't know what to do or how to help him

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:25 pm
Did you try keeping him naked and giving him a lot to drink?

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:30 pm
That doesn't sound potty trained at all. Knowing what to do and being able to hold it are simply prerequisites. Your pediatrician's advice sounds very unhealthy.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:35 pm
Op holding on one's need to pee or poo does not make him toilet trained.
And not sure why a doctor gets to decide when a kid should be in underwear.
You put a kid in underwear when they actually go to the toilet.
Your child sounds the complete opposite than toilet trained. He dounds not ready yet, to be honest.

amother
Snow

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:55 pm
Im confused, does he ever make in the toilet?

If hes waking up dry or managing to hold it in, he isnt trained necessarily.

Signed
Mom of 3.5 yr old recently trained whose had his own share of toilet struggles.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 6:03 pm
Anyways this is getting late for potty training. Good news is you're well within the range for what I do, child led toilet learning. It's not until about 4.5 years old that it becomes a very good idea for the parent to confidently take the lead instead of just continuing the status quo.

So if you'll take my advice, just wait for a while. Don't even mention the toilet. Reset.

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 6:43 pm
why are you putting him in a pull up?
He sounds ready but scared to go. leave him naked when he gets home. He also might be scared of the actual toilet did you try a potty?

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 3 yr old is completely toilet trained... besides for the fact that he refuses to go on the toilet

1 he wakes up dry each morning
2 per the advice of my pediatrician I have been sending him in underwear to morah. He refuses to go on the toilet and holds it in for the entire day (9- 3)
3 when he gets home, he let's me know that he needs to go and we change him into a pull up
4 on a few occasions, when I change him to a pull up, I saw a small wet spot on his underwear, which means that he started going and he stopped himself!

Basically, if he wanted to be trained, he would be trained in an hour. Unfortunately he seems to have some sort of anxiety around going on the toilet or potty and I just don't know how to help him. (I have tried so many different programs and charts and incentives, and all his friends are toilet trained. It's clearly not a matter of inventive or motivator)
Whenever I bring up going on the toilet or potty, he looks at me with this major anxiety in his eyes and just says a flat no. I just don't know what to do or how to help him

Very normal behavior for toilet training.
BTDT 7 times. And each time was a different experience.
Try setting up a potty in a room where you can spend some time with him, reading a book or watching something, to keep him distracted. Be prepared for some puddles and sit him down as soon as he starts.... Dress him in a shirt only. If possible, keep him home for a couple of days or do it over a weekend. The good news, once he overcomes his fear he'll train very easily beh since he seems to have great control!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training