Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Commenting on Baby
Previous  1  2  3

English3

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 4:21 pm
I have twins and get stopped by strangers who have been following my twin's growth without me even noticing. They are adorable and twins are a specialty. Singletons are just regular, I dont walk upto a stranger and compliment her on other stuff either. Obviously if I am bored in a line I might start up a conversation with the woman in front.

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 4:53 pm
I find non-Jews to be chatty lol. Even in NYC. Frum Jews…not so much. I’ve had random non-Jews just start talking to me while waiting for the bus, train, in line at Target, etc. The only frum Jews who will randomly bust out in conversation with me are, surprisingly, frum men 😵‍💫

amother
Lightgreen

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 9:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
BH I have a very smiley and beautiful baby. When I am out with him, we usually get numerous comments from people on the street or in stores who stop to comment on his eyes or his smile or want to talk to him. I noticed it always non jews, mamish never a Yid. Why don’t frum yidden ever stop and comment (or even smile at him)? I don’t need anyone too. Just something I always wondered.

Obviously you do need people to.

Why isn’t it enough that you get compliments from some people? You need every person to?

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:45 am
I also find that its less acceptable in our community to comment on these things. Whenever I get comments that I'm pretty TMI its always from non-jews.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:00 am
As an introvert I am utterly baffled by this thread iykyk

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:04 am
amother OP wrote:
BH I have a very smiley and beautiful baby. When I am out with him, we usually get numerous comments from people on the street or in stores who stop to comment on his eyes or his smile or want to talk to him. I noticed it always non jews, mamish never a Yid. Why don’t frum yidden ever stop and comment (or even smile at him)? I don’t need anyone too. Just something I always wondered.

OP, I'm sure your baby is adorable and gorgeous! I would love to meet you in the doctor's office or store and compliment you about him. I agree that babies are all over the frum world and it's not typical to notice them. But consider your adorable baby complimented by me Heart

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:05 am
Quote:
Excellent question! I will smile or wave to a friendly looking baby, but I usually don’t because it’s not socially accepted in our community

Socially Accepted??
What on earth??

Whats wrong with smiling or chatting to someones friendly baby?

Just because people arent doing it to you, whoever said its "not socially accepted"?

Rare= does not mean not acceptable.

lostmyoldSN

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:07 am
tichellady wrote:
not my experience. I comment on jewish babies and people always comment on my kids

Same

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:39 am
In the more northern parts of Europe it's very normal. It seems that children are for everyone to enjoy. And before they are born a pregnant belly is a symbol of life.

Here are some lovely stories describing mothers personality (and fearlessness);
When we were born people would bend over and pinch our cheeks, and she would in good humor pinch back.

Also, before we were born my mother would be stopped by people (read:non jews) wanting to touch her stomach while pregnant. She obviously rubbed their bellies. Which was especially funny when they were middle aged men sporting beer bellies.

I hope they learned their lesson.

readreread

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 2:43 pm
The day I left the hospital with my baby, a frum woman came over and cooed over him and said she could tell from across the lobby that he was a Yid. I was dressed modestly but not in a way that made me look visibly frum as it was winter, so I was surprised and pleased by her kindness.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:13 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Here the jews are way friendlier than the none jews. They’ll smile and talk to anyone. If a baby is cute or waving to me Ill wave back and tell the mom he’s cute….. I hate going to a dept store and waste time because some middle aged none jew is playing with my baby for 5 minutes. Then she calls over her friend to come see him as well. And I’m standing there and fake smiling to them the whole time.

Why is your smile fake ?

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:20 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Here the jews are way friendlier than the none jews. They’ll smile and talk to anyone. If a baby is cute or waving to me Ill wave back and tell the mom he’s cute….. I hate going to a dept store and waste time because some middle aged none jew is playing with my baby for 5 minutes. Then she calls over her friend to come see him as well. And I’m standing there and fake smiling to them the whole time.

You sound like a big snob

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:44 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
In the more northern parts of Europe it's very normal. It seems that children are for everyone to enjoy. And before they are born a pregnant belly is a symbol of life.

Here are some lovely stories describing mothers personality (and fearlessness);
When we were born people would bend over and pinch our cheeks, and she would in good humor pinch back.

Also, before we were born my mother would be stopped by people (read:non jews) wanting to touch her stomach while pregnant. She obviously rubbed their bellies. Which was especially funny when they were middle aged men sporting beer bellies.

I hope they learned their lesson.

Sorry why us it funny that your mother touched other mens stomachs? wondering
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics