Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Baby delayed

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:43 pm
I had my baby evaluated due to motor delays. The evaluator pointed out all kinds of delays many I wasnt even aware of. Said my baby will definitely qualify for therapies. Didnt realize there was a big problem now im so anxious. What are my next steps? my pediatrician is the one who pushed me to have baby tested but didn’t make it sound like overly concerned just being more proactive.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
I had my baby evaluated due to motor delays. The evaluator pointed out all kinds of delays many I wasnt even aware of. Said my baby will definitely qualify for therapies. Didnt realize there was a big problem now im so anxious. What are my next steps? my pediatrician is the one who pushed me to have baby tested but didn’t make it sound like overly concerned just being more proactive.

If you live in NY and baby was evaluated by EI then she will get therapy (PT, OT and whatever else she qualifies for). BEZ”H they will help her catch up.
With delays if you catch them up early it is faster and easier to catch up.

To make you feel better I have siblings who got loads of therapy as kids. They outgrew needing it between ages 3-6. They are married with kids and have degrees and good jobs. No one would ever know they had delays when they were babies.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

That's their job. An evaluator pointed out the shape of my baby head and asked if the pediatrician had an issue with it. I said no, my pediatrician said the shape was fine. Once the evaluators see there is a delay they are going to write up all the little things in their report so that when the city makes a meeting, they will be more generous with the services.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 12:04 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
If you live in NY and baby was evaluated by EI then she will get therapy (PT, OT and whatever else she qualifies for). BEZ”H they will help her catch up.
With delays if you catch them up early it is faster and easier to catch up.

To make you feel better I have siblings who got loads of therapy as kids. They outgrew needing it between ages 3-6. They are married with kids and have degrees and good jobs. No one would ever know they had delays when they were babies.

Thanks this does make me feel better

teachkids

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 12:32 pm
My daughter got EI for a year for a bunch of delays. She started school at almost the end of the year and her teachers said they didn’t see why she got therapy because she was on the advanced end of the class

tirralirra12

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:36 am
My toddler never met a gross motor skill that she wasn't dramatically late on. She started EI at 12 months. At 20 months, she's on track or ahead of everything and doing so great. EI was an amazing resource for us and really helped so much.

I was so heartbroken that my daughter needed EI and felt like I'd failed her. I was looking at the process very wrong-headed. She needed a little extra help and has thrived so much since then.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 4:07 pm
tirralirra12 wrote:
My toddler never met a gross motor skill that she wasn't dramatically late on. She started EI at 12 months. At 20 months, she's on track or ahead of everything and doing so great. EI was an amazing resource for us and really helped so much.

I was so heartbroken that my daughter needed EI and felt like I'd failed her. I was looking at the process very wrong-headed. She needed a little extra help and has thrived so much since then.

Thanks I was accepting of the motor delays but then evaluators said she has other delays and pointed out a million things she should be doing at this point that she is not. So this is making me worried that there is a bigger issues than just some delays

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 4:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks I was accepting of the motor delays but then evaluators said she has other delays and pointed out a million things she should be doing at this point that she is not. So this is making me worried that there is a bigger issues than just some delays

Now a days they can’t give services if there is a delay in only one area.
It’s good evaluator found delays in multiple areas so
A) she will get services
B) any little problem will be fixed now before it turns into a bigger problem

Let’s say a baby isn’t walking well - give a year or 2 of PT and in preschool no one ever knew baby had trouble. Same with any other delay. Early intervention is key.

Bezh she’ll catch up really quickly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics