Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Crock pot - basari or chalavi?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 2:05 pm
Im thinking about getting a crock pot, still undecided.
If you have one or want one, what would you use it for, basari or chalavi?
We would be getting one to make dinner time during the week easier.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 2:07 pm
Everyone I knows uses crock pot for meat (basari) to make Shobbos Chulent. And Roasts.

Also great for putting up a supper of chicken or stew meat and potatoes before work.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 2:15 pm
If I had one, I'd make it basari.

I do have one I keep for chalavi, but I rarely use it.

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 2:32 pm
I have both, but I use the meat one much more regularly than the dairy one.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 2:33 pm
Meat. Great Shabbos lunches and not just cholent. (Think roasts, stews, soups etc.) And when I worked out of the home I used to make a crockpot dinner at least once a week.

There’s not much to make in there for dairy. Besides soups.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 2:36 pm
Most dairy recipes have a short cook time. Anywhere from 1-3 hours. They are not good if your out all day. I used to find it super helpful when my oldest was a toddler. When he napped in the middle of the day I could put up dinner for later and then not think about it. But its pretty limited and eventually I got rid of it.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 3:26 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Most dairy recipes have a short cook time. Anywhere from 1-3 hours. They are not good if your out all day. I used to find it super helpful when my oldest was a toddler. When he napped in the middle of the day I could put up dinner for later and then not think about it. But its pretty limited and eventually I got rid of it.

^^^

I really can't think of a dairy recipe that cooks long enough to make it worthwhile to use a slow cooker for dairy. Parve/beans, sure. And I guess maybe you might possibly want to melt cheese over it when its done, but that's the closest I can think of.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 3:46 pm
I have both. I use fleishig for suppers & occasionally for Shabbos (I don’t usually make cholent). I use milchig for hot breakfasts (rice pudding, steel cut oats). Haven’t really used it for suppers but I tend to do easy milchigs for suppers so don’t need it.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 3:52 pm
I have two, and sometimes I think about getting a parev one as well. I use the fleishic for Shabbos, but often the milchic for during the week.

I want the parev one for stewed fruit and cooked vegetable side dishes that can go either way.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 5:48 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I have two, and sometimes I think about getting a parev one as well. I use the fleishic for Shabbos, but often the milchic for during the week.

I want the parev one for stewed fruit and cooked vegetable side dishes that can go either way.

What do you make in your milchig one?

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:29 pm
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
What do you make in your milchig one?

I've only ever used my milchig one on yom tov. It's 3 qt. I have made overnight oatmeal and (not overnight) lasagna (for shavuos).

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:34 pm
For milchig, I have made mac and cheese, baked ziti, lasagna, enchiladas,

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:39 pm
I very occasionally make something dairy, but usually pareve (vegetarian household). There are a lot of recipes out there that call for cream soup concentrate, but I don't care for them. Also, you can make pasta and cheese dishes as well as overnight hot cereal. So there are uses for a dairy slow cooker, but not things I usually make.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:47 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Could you share recipes (or links to recipes) that have worked well for you? Also, what size do you have?

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:49 pm
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:
I very occasionally make something dairy, but usually pareve (vegetarian household). There are a lot of recipes out there that call for cream soup concentrate, but I don't care for them. Also, you can make pasta and cheese dishes as well as overnight hot cereal. So there are uses for a dairy slow cooker, but not things I usually make.

What pareve things do you make?

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 11:49 am
Could you share recipes (or links to recipes) that have worked well for you? Also, what size do you have?

I really just google the food I want to make and add the world slow cooker or crock pot. When I had a dairy one I had a much smaller family so 4 qt. Now I would need 6 or 7.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 12:34 pm
What pareve things do you make?

Soup/stew. Many kinds. Every Shabbat and many times in-between.

Also great for winter squash, potatoes and other "hard" vegetables. I leave them to cook while I'm at work.

A slow cooker is great for stuffed cabbage and other stuffed veggies.

4g01o

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 12:40 pm
Definitely meat!

Elfrida

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 12:45 pm
mha3484 wrote:

All the above, and cheesecake.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 12:52 pm
Elfrida wrote: