Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Leftover challah!!

blueberrypie

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 10:28 pm
Any interesting ideas??

vintagebknyc

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 10:32 pm
bread pudding. Cheers

blueberrypie

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 10:36 pm
I figured that and french toast. I would really appreciate it if anyone has any good recipes, thanks!

vintagebknyc

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 10:41 pm
I made this for a party over the summer, it was a smash! (note, I had to cook it far longer than the time said here, but it could be my particular oven. also, it's clearly not parve but we're lacto-ovo vegetarians, so dairy is all we do.)

Recipe: Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding
Servings: 6 - 8

Use leftover challah or brioche as the base for this rich Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding.
Ingredients

1 tablespoon sweet butter
4 eggs
2 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup sugar
big pinch of salt
14 ounces challah or brioche, preferably slightly stale, most of the crust removed and cut into 3/4″ cubes
7 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate, in the 70% range, cut into good sized chunks – not a whole mouthful but a lot bigger than a chocolate chip

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 350 F., using convection if you have it.
Butter a large shallow baking dish, around 8″ x 12″.
Beat the eggs. Whisk in the milk, starting with just a little at a time until the eggs are well distributed. Whisk in the vanilla extract, sugar, and salt.
Place the cubed bread in the pan. Pour the custard evenly over the bread and toss lightly, trying to get it to absorb without squashing the bread too much.
Add the chocolate chunks and again toss gently to distribute.
Cover the pan with tin foil and cook until it reaches an internal temperature in the center of 185 F. For me this took about one hour and fifteen minutes. You can also check for doneness with a fork, and as it gets close, by taking a bite. You want it to be well set, but not overcooked and rubbery.
Let rest ten minutes and serve it forth. A bit of whipped cream, a drizzle of heavy cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream are all very welcome. If you want to whisk a bit of good bourbon into that cream, don’t let me stop you.

ROFL

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 10:44 pm
I love my challah kugel. I use 6 eggs 1 container whip and 1 cup sugar with a splash of vanilla. Mix it all together with challah that I cut offthe crust and use the inside soft pieces. Bake at 350 in a greased pan.

Dina_B613

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 11:11 pm
Make croutons or french toast!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 11:12 pm
Make breadcrumbs.

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Sep 27 2014, 11:37 pm
Savory "Stuffing" Kugel

Finely dice 2 medium onions, 1 red pepper, and a box of mushrooms. My mother adds celery, but I don't bother. Sautee the veggies until soft, then season with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Set aside.

Remove crust from leftover challah and loosely rip it into chunks. Briefly soak the challah in water until soft. Drain.

Preheat oven to 350. Pour enough oil into 8x8 pan to just cover the bottom. Place pan in oven to heat oil.

Squeeze as much water out of the challah as possible and pull it apart into small pieces. Mix with the sauteed veggies. Add 2-3 beaten eggs and mix. Add more seasoning if you want. Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven and pour the hot oil into the challah mixture. Mix quickly and then pour into the pan. Smooth the top and place the pan back into the oven. Bake for around 45 minutes - until the top of the kugel looks nicely browned.

This recipe freezes well.

nameless

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 4:07 am
There was a recipe in Balabuste's choice 2 for a chicken breast filled with stuffing. Not my favorite type of chicken but it was pretty good considering that it used up old bread from my freezer... Don't have the receipt on hand but let me know if you want it. Croutons are also a good option.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads