Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
My Challah dough disappeared

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 10:15 am
Last week when I cleaned the freezer my Challah dough disappeared. I only realized 3 days later when my husband wanted to burn it.

I asked my cleaning lady about it and she didn't know know what I'm talking about. I have a feeling she either dumped it or it somehow got into the bag she took home.

I'm feeling so guilty about it not being burned properly.

amother
Jean

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 10:29 am
I have challah from two years ago waiting to be burned.
I told DH b4 he closed up the freezer.
We both forgot.
While he’s burning the chometz. I see on Imamother someone’s cleaning lady reminded her to burn the challah dough.
And DH walked in that second.
Oh well.

Now the siren is going off for stopping to eat the chometz.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 10:31 am
Many poskim discourage the practice of saving dough for reasons like this and recommend burning right away when you make challah.

amother
Jean

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 10:32 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Many poskim discourage the practice of saving dough for reasons like this and recommend burning right away when you make challah.

True. But my kitchen didn’t have proper ventilation then.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 10:50 am
amother Jean wrote:
I have challah from two years ago waiting to be burned.
I told DH b4 he closed up the freezer.
We both forgot.
While he’s burning the chometz. I see on Imamother someone’s cleaning lady reminded her to burn the challah dough.
And DH walked in that second.
Oh well.

Now the siren is going off for stopping to eat the chometz.

How does that work? How can you keep challa dough for two years? that's 2 pesachs that you had chametz in the house?

Ask your Rav, mine said we can double wrap and throw out rather than leave in the freezer.

amother
Milk

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 10:56 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I've always known that challah dough is considered treif and shouldn't be burned in your regular oven, which is why so it at biur chometz.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 11:02 am
amother Milk wrote:
I've always known that challah dough is considered treif and shouldn't be burned in your regular oven, which is why so it at biur chometz.

I've learnt that I can burn it in an empty oven. Meaning, I can't cook anything else in the oven at the same time.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 11:09 am
I either burn mine on top of the stove directly on the burner or wrap tightly in foil and throw in the oven with the baked goods.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 11:15 am
amother Milk wrote:

Please speak with your rav as to what he suggests. There's a difference between EY and Chu"L and there are perfectly kosher ways to burn it in your own kitchen. But perhaps your rav would recommend keeping it....I can't speak for him but I've learned hilchos hafrashas challah from at least 3 poskim I can remember and all of them were against the practice of saving the dough 🙂

amother
Jean

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 11:43 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
How does that work? How can you keep challa dough for two years? that's 2 pesachs that you had chametz in the house?

Ask your Rav, mine said we can double wrap and throw out rather than leave in the freezer.

Last year we went to ILs. We also hold you can sell a part of the freezer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics