Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Baby exczema
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 9:24 pm
Eczema is a symptom of any number of underlying conditions. It is not an infection, so I don't see why it would be treated with bactroban. Though it could become infected due to scratching, so then bactroban could indeed help with that.

It's important to zoom in on the underlying condition and treat it. Whether it be candida overgrowth, parasites, gluten allergy, or whatnot. I took my son from one dermatologist to another, from one allergist to another, and nothing doing. It took me a few years to find the right shliach, but when I did, my son was treated with the appropriate medication and nutritional support and b''h there is not a trace left of his eczema.
The symptom that is visible to the eye, the eczema rash, is only a representative sample of what is going on inside the body, the inside may very well be inflamed, which can lead to improper nutrient absorption, delayed development, irritability, or even infection.

Much hatzlacha to all who are unfortunately dealing with this.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 5:14 am
It also helps to dress the child in pure cotton clothing, certainly not man-made fibres and not wool either. Also, keep fingernails short to minimise scratching.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 5:51 am
I use a product on my baby called nystatin.......it's prescription and it works very very well.

mtb18

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 7:47 am
my son had really bad exczema on his face. It started when he was 15 months and just got worse and worse, none of the creams worked for him so I had him tested for allergies... turns out he had a lot of allergies but even taking him off those foods didn't help his face.. B"H he grew out of it and you can't tell he ever had a problem on his face, but like BasHashem said, it must be related to asthma, because this son also has asthma

miri123

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 8:48 pm
Hi, I have two sons with eczema and I have psoriasis myself, both of them are indeed related to asthma and are immuno disorders, they maybe due to allergies but also have an existence of their own. My three yrs old was cover with eczema since he was 1 1/2 months old, his skin felt like leather, he was bleeding in many places even though he had his hands covered with socks, he got infected many times including a herpes infection for what he had to be hospitalized. We used strong steroides, antihistamines, aquaphor, bactroban when needed and also tried many alternative medicine protocols. He is allergic to a host of foods and also has enviromental allergies( I.e. mold, dust, pollen) Now he is 3, B"H, B"H, does not have almost anything, most of his skin is soft and supple. The pediatric dermatologists at the hospital recomended bathing EVERYDAY for five minutes with little soap if any just dove, pat dry and RIGHT AWAY apply medication creams and/or aquaphor or other ointments. Less frequent bathing means less abssortion of the moisturizers. After 2 he started taking Singulair, which helped a lot.
At the allergist office he has a wall decoration that says, "Gam se yiabor " also this will pass.
Hatzlacha rabba!
Ps. creams/ointments hurt on troubled skin.

HealthCoach

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 9:07 pm
The most effective thing to treat symptoms is a compound cream. You can go to a dermatologist that has a reputation for prescribing compounds. pm me if you want one in NY. Sometimes once it's under control, a moisturizer such as Vanicream can keep it that way.

I have a child that was on a compound cream for severe eczema, and it actually helped a lot with his eczema, but it wasn't until he went on Feingold (www.feingold.org) for other reasons, that his eczema cleared up with no medication. I personally would not change diet to treat eczema, but I do believe that diet is the underlying problem, and each person can decide how they want to solve it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 11:27 am
Yup...I have eczema, and my older son also does, and the best treatment we found for him was Dove bodywash (skip the baby stuff) and Aquaphor or creamy baby oil. However, in our case, we found less bathing was better since his skin would get so dry and every other day bathing was the right balance.

I actually read a couple weeks ago that people with eczema have problems keeping in hydration, and should eat some healthy fats like avocado to replenish the water barrier so the skin will stay hydrated from the inside.

Both last winter and this one, he's broken out with chapped cheeks (probably from drool when he sleeps), and the cure-all we found for that is Lansinoh.

HealthCoach

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 1:09 pm
Yes, eating certain oils is supposed to help. There are different oil supplements. They are grouped very well at maxihealth.com.

Our allergist recommends bathing every day, and the second the kid comes out while the skin is still wet, you put moisturizer all over the body to seal in the moisture.

Our dermatologist, on the other hand, recommends infrequent bathing.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 11:43 am
FYI, there is atopic dermatitis and contact dermatitis.
Allergies I believe cause the latter type, and if that's the case maybe taking a bath every day wouldn't be harmful.
But if the eczema is not based on allergies, it could be the method of infrequent bathing is the better option.
Just a theory here.

miri123

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 10:37 pm
" FYI, there is atopic dermatitis and contact dermatitis.
Allergies I believe cause the latter type,"
eczema is atopic dermatitis.
contact dermatitis is like contact with poison ivy

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 08 2007, 11:31 am
Or wool, or any other irritant, many of which people are allergic to and cause rashes (e.g. nickel)

Were you talking about food allergies here or topical allergies?

(Eczema is either type, BTW)

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Mon, Feb 12 2007, 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 08 2007, 2:07 pm
My daughter was prescribed an ointment the lamisil and hydocortizones were not helping ... Triamcinolone Acetonide ointment - the ointment is better than creams.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 08 2007, 2:21 pm
the severe weather aggrevates it too. the very cold and the very hot.

are you using only cotton clothing? double rinsing the laundry?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 08 2007, 2:22 pm
my dd had really bad eczema till we realized she was allergic to any and every detergent besides DREFT!!!
good luck
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics