Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Baby exczema
1  2  Next

SpringGirl

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 12:50 pm
nyone have any ideas what to do with exzcema on a baby that doesn't respond to regular creams (ie. cortisone)

dina

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 1:21 pm
Try removing wheat from the diet. I have a friend who had the same problem with her son and once she took him off wheat products, the face cleared up

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 1:27 pm
did you try bactroban? you need a prescription for it. it did wonders for me, but im not sure how it would work on babies. I dont know why it would be any different though.

sarahd

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 1:46 pm
If you try it, make sure first that it's safe for babies.

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 2:11 pm
obviously, you have to ask the dr for it, because its a prescriptioned medication.
its the same as overthecounter creams but it is much much stronger, it really worked for me. it is also very expensive- maybe you can ask for samples?
a cheap cortizone cream that worked a little is cortaid- you can ask your doctor about that too, but you might as well get bactroban then.

Didi

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 6:31 pm
I took my son to a dermatologist and he prescribed somthing.

rydys

Post Thu, Jan 06 2005, 8:18 pm
Over the counter cortisone may not be strong enough for eczema, you may need prescription strength. also, make sure you are moisturizing twice a day with a thick moisturizer like aquaphor, preferably once after a 5 minute bath with water only--then pat until damp dry and moisturize him. If that doesn't work, speak to your doctor bec. there are other creams to use depending on his age.

Rivka

Post Sat, Jan 08 2005, 3:40 pm
hydrocortison you buy is as strong as prescription, but would you want to use a steroid on a baby or child? and bactroban is an antibiotic, so it wouldn't be used for long periods of time.

SAH

Post Sat, Jan 08 2005, 8:33 pm
Someone mentioned cutting out wheat. Just to add from personal experience, my son at around age 1 (now 21 months) was always itchy on the back of his neck, inside of legs, but there was nothing there except dry skin. The ped. said excema and use aquaphor. Shortly after, we found out that he was allergic to a bunch of things (eggs he would break out and throw up so that was obvious) including what's called "borderline allergic" to wheat. We cut it out and he was no longer itchy. I know other friends who's kids had "excema" and were also found to have borderline allergies. Not to scare you and I would NOT jump to this conclusion for anyone else, just to point out that often we treat symtoms instead of the problem. Cold weather also causes dry skin (in us and babies!).

Other suggestions are to put a humidifier in the baby's room and to bath him/her less often (if this is practical). These help the body maintain moisture.

gryp

Post Sat, Jan 08 2005, 8:40 pm
Quote:
hydrocortison you buy is as strong as prescription, but would you want to use a steroid on a baby or child? and bactroban is an antibiotic, so it wouldn't be used for long periods of time.

Rivka, the cortisone creams that are over the counter definitely did not work as well for me as the bactroban.
both of them say dont use for more than two weeks.

Tefila

Post Sat, Jan 08 2005, 8:44 pm
Keep in mind cortisone cream thins the skin and has to be used sparingly. Sound like a Dr now Rolling Eyes
If one doesn't HAVE to then why use it?! Maybe there's herbal etc that may do same job without the nagative side effects!
And no I am not a Herbalist LOL

Rivka

Post Sun, Jan 09 2005, 9:02 am
Quote:
Rivka, the cortisone creams that are over the counter definitely did not work as well for me as the bactroban.
both of them say dont use for more than two weeks.

They are two totally different things, one is a steroid and one is an anti-biotic.
And hydrocortisone you don't use for more than 7 days at a time as Freilich said it thins the skin. An anti-biotic will be used depending on how bad the infection is.
Also as it says on all medicines, do not share your medicine even if someone else's symptoms look similar to yours because they might very well not be. What can be a cure for one person can be a poison to another.

rydys

Post Sun, Jan 09 2005, 9:20 am
First of all, hydrocortisone over the counter is _not_ the same strength as prescription and there are other steroids and non-steroids that can be used as well.

Second of all, while steroids can thin the skin, using them occasionally for flare ups and then using moisturizer preventatively will not thin the skin.

Third of all, as I've posted before, in the US the difference bet. something sold as a medicine and an herbal remedy is only in FDA approval. How do you know that the active ingredient of the herb is not a steroid itself? And what are the side effects of the herb? That is not to say they wont work, but be careful.

Lastly, since eczema is an allergic process, your child could certainly be allergic to something that he could avoid. However, in most cases we never find the cause, even after allergy testing so don't be discouraged if nothing is found.

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 09 2005, 9:36 am
rydys- is eczema always about allergies?

Henya

Post Sun, Jan 09 2005, 3:28 pm
my daughter (toddler) broke out with eczema on her face. I took her to my homeopath who tested her. She's allergic to corn. I definitely believe that lots of times mainstream doctors are quick to prescribe antibiotics/ointments when in reality it's not just the symptom that has to be treated but rather the source of the problem.

SpringGirl

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 12:26 pm
well, thanks for all your suggestions. The truth is I am already off wheat, sugar, and dairy. I have tried all the regular creams like cortisone (doctor's prescription) bactroban , and others, and I have also taken him to a homeopath...so far he still suffers terribly, scratching and itching, and cries on a constant basis. Any other ideas?

rydys

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 2:26 pm
how about allergy testing? Maybe he's allergic to something in the environment.

BasHashem

Post Sun, Jan 30 2005, 5:21 pm
Most off my kids have or had eczema; did you know that asthma and eczema are related?

Anyways the first rule for anyone with eczema is not to bath him or her to often, and when you do, you must rub him or her down with cream. Vaseline creamy is very good. The other rule for eczema is only use the cortizone cream with the R’s RED, ROUGH, RAISED
And only cotton clothes and not over dressed.

Good luck
Bashashem

micki

Post Sun, Jan 30 2005, 6:05 pm
my son has eczema behind the knees. recently its falred up and someone told me of a cream called
baby eczema cream. made by gentle naturals by baby orajel. is mint green with pink container. cost 6.00 we found it in giant supermarket- but can be found in eckerds and cvs.

says it moisterizesdry skin and soothes itching associated with eczema. the ingridents are all natural and I recognize them all like jojoba and aloe vera and calendula.
I've used it on him- on one knee it disappered and the other disappeared completly except the one area that was worse is getting smaller but its not gone yet.
I'm pretty sure its working very well. and I've used it on my other sons face who had very chapped red cheeks and mouth area and healed him in no time too.

try it.

Sunshine

Post Mon, Jan 31 2005, 2:30 pm
I think that eczema is hereditary. It also can get worse if the person is under a lot of stress. Cotton clothing that are loose will help it and it won't be as scratchy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics