Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Public apology to Clarissa

sarahd

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 6:37 am
Dear Clarissa,

For years I've read your...errr...rants about non-dairy topping and to be quite frank, I thought you were being kind of carried away by your passion for cream. I mean, how much better could real cream be than the chemical stuff? So I carried on happily using the pareve stuff (okay, not so happily because every time I opened a container I could hear my mother's horrified reaction: "HOW can you put such junk in my grandchildren's mouths?!")

Anyhoo, this year I convinced dh to have a milchig Shavuos seuda and I really went to town. And I made his favorite dessert with real cream. And creamed mushrooms with real cream instead of skim milk. And Oh. My. Goodness. Dh was just floating on cloud nine or somewhere thereabouts. You were absolutely right! Forgive me for having doubted your, um, rationality.

How am I ever going to get used to the fake stuff again?

edited for atrocious spelling mistake.

Last edited by sarahd on Fri, May 17 2013, 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Liba

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 6:43 am
I can't stand the fake stuff, love the real stuff.

We have a lot of dairy allergic/lactose intolerant family so for my DD's bas mitzvah I made one cake that was layers of cake, lemon pudding a real whip cream and one that was the same, but with pareve whip.

The whole real whip cream cake was gone, but I had to send 90% of the pareve one to yeshiva. LOL

Tamiri

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 7:01 am
Live and learn. I am actually surprised that people think the parve stuff is.... cream.

mirisim

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 7:38 am
and while on the topic of real versus fake............. real butter there is nothing like it!! Smile

Raisin

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 7:57 am
yes. If you want to make pareve desserts make it cream free. Many delicious desserts do not need cream or dairy product to make them good. Lemon meringue pie, choc chip cookies, most cakes etc

(although the choc chip cookies I made with real butter for shavuos were really good. Also, I put in dairy choc chips)

Shabbos is long enough now that you can have cholent, and make some delicious dairy shabbos treats for shalosh seudos.

sarahd

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 8:13 am
But my husband's favorite Shabbos dessert needs cream and the main ingredient is very hard to find in the summer. Anyhow, until two days ago we didn't realize what we were missing.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 8:18 am
sarahd wrote:
But my husband's favorite Shabbos dessert needs cream and the main ingredient is very hard to find in the summer. Anyhow, until two days ago we didn't realize what we were missing.

When it is available I buy lots of cream and freeze it. Maybe you can order it from whoever sells you chalav yisreal milk? Its a by product of low fat milk, they've got to do something with it.

sarahd

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 8:22 am
Cream is not the main ingredient. Cream is available all year round here, pretty much. The other ingredient is frozen chestnut puree, and the supermarkets sell it in the winter. My husband wants his dessert at the first two meals, so it has to be pareve. Or at any rate, it did till now. Things might change.

chani8

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 8:30 am
Yes, once you've switched to cream, the minhag to eat meat on YT seems somehow less necessary. Isn't Salmon enough of a meat? It costs the same.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 8:34 am
chani8 wrote:
Yes, once you've switched to cream, the minhag to eat meat on YT seems somehow less necessary. Isn't Salmon enough of a meat? It costs the same.

hardly anyone ate the salmon I made for for my milchig meals. Creamy pasta was greatly preferred.

Clarissa

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 10:41 am
How did I miss this? I saw the follow-up thread and had no idea what was going on, so I did a search and here this is. I'm going to have it embroidered on a pillow.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm delighted to see that others are waking up to the truth. The real thing is great!

Yay for real food and especially real cream!

Thank you!!

imamiri

Post Fri, May 17 2013, 1:33 pm
Real food > imitation products always!

chani8

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 10:46 am
Raisin wrote:
chani8 wrote:

hardly anyone ate the salmon I made for for my milchig meals. Creamy pasta was greatly preferred.

Then you used the wrong recipe for the salmon. Wink For years I made the sweet and sour salmon (spice and spirit cookbook, I think) and nobody ate much. DD made the salmon in a sefardi spicy sauce, and it was gobbled up.

But her creamy pasta was outta this world, too. And her pashtidah (mushroom, onion, and cheese kugel) was incredible, too.

Now we need to start a motzi Shavuos diet plan.

DrMom

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 11:05 am
Tamiri wrote:
Live and learn. I am actually surprised that people think the parve stuff is.... cream.

There was actually a thread a few years ago before Shavuot asking:

"I want to make milchigs this year on Shavuot. What is a dairy substitute for Rich's Whip?"

Rolling Eyes

chocolate chips

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 9:18 pm
DrMom wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

There was actually a thread a few years ago before Shavuot asking:

"I want to make milchigs this year on Shavuot. What is a dairy substitute for Rich's Whip?"

Rolling Eyes
LOL
Unfortunately I cannot have real cream, not for my stomach and not for my cholesterol nor fake cream for the chol. So I am worse off all round.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics