Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Water in a crockpot

youngmom

Post Sun, Aug 06 2006, 9:53 am
I use a liner in my crockpot when making cholent for shabbos because officially it's supposed to be less cleaning afterwards. However, every Motzei Shabbos, there's what to clean in the crockpot. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it's definitely dirty. It's not cholent. Does anyone know how I can prevent this?

Also, how much water do you put underneath? If I put too little, it dries out. If I put more, it come out from the sides of the crockpot during Shabbos. So, either way there's nothing left after Shabbos besides for a mess in the crockpot.

granolamom

Post Sun, Aug 06 2006, 12:52 pm
I put about 2 inches of water in the crockpot under the liner. that's usually just right unless I start the cholent earlier than usual on fri, then the water is all gone after shabbos. also I have my crock pot on a timer and it shuts off around 2pm shabbos afternoon, so the water stops evaporating at that point.

I also get dirty liquid under the liner. I don't know how it gets there, or how to prevent it. I find its easy enough to clean, just use a bit of baking soda and the crockpot looks like new.

su7kids

Post Sun, Aug 06 2006, 1:12 pm
Gee, I didn't read that you have to put water in there. I cooked with the liner and didn't put water, and it was fine.

But I did cover the cholent with water inside the bag, above the level of the food.

youngmom

Post Sun, Aug 06 2006, 6:24 pm
that's smart, maybe we should use a timer too. I wonder if that would help out with the dirt in the crockpot.

Thanks for idea. I'll let you know what happens.

youngmom

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 9:57 am
Quote:

that's smart, maybe we should use a timer too. I wonder if that would help out with the dirt in the crockpot.

Thanks for idea. I'll let you know what happens.

Silly me!! Actually, the timer wouldn't make a difference because I take the pot out of the crockpot when I serve it. So it's obviously not that.

granolamom

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 11:07 am
Quote:
Silly me!! Actually, the timer wouldn't make a difference because I take the pot out of the crockpot when I serve it. So it's obviously not that.

silly both of us!!!
Its a rare shabbos that we haven't eaten the cholent by two (I also take the pot out when serving). we use a timer so the kitchen doesn't get hot.
so yeah, its obviously not that.

su7kids - it says on the box of crockpot liners to put water in the pot under the bag. at least on the ones I use.

hey, maybe this problem is brand specific?
what brand of liners does everyone use? I have Cookit

youngmom

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 1:06 am
Quote:
su7kids - it says on the box of crockpot liners to put water in the pot under the bag. at least on the ones I use.

that's funny because I looked it up in the instructions of my liner and it didn't say anything about putting water. Well, this shabbos I didn't and lo and behold, NO dirt after shabbos. that's the trick for me. no more water underneath my liners.

youngmom

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 1:06 am
thanx su7kids for the idea
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars