Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
When do you write your best?

Seraph

Post Thu, Jan 20 2011, 2:48 am
Hello fellow writers! I wanted to know- what conditions do you need to write your best stuff? In what situations do you usually write?

When I used to write emotionally laden poetry, I used to write best late at night. That's when my emotions would flow more freely and amazing award winning stuff would come out. Not only that, I'd pull an all nighter before an english final, knowing that I'd write better stuff when dead tired. It worked, that's the funny thing.

Now I don't write nearly as well when I'm tired. Late at night I start rambling on and on, usually. Though I must say, yesterday I write an article for Ami from 11 pm till 2 am and in my opinion, its one of my better ones yet. So maybe there's something to writing when tired.

Now my best writing conditions are:
Kids asleep
Internet off (because otherwise its a distraction)
Trying to do something else... like cleaning. Haha

Seriously, whenever I'm out doing something where its hard to write, thats where I get my inspiration. I take my palm pilot with me to the park, waiting for the bus, etc... because otherwise all that inspiration will be wasted.

Usually I don't get my ideal conditions for writing, but oh well.

What are your ideal conditions for writing.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Jan 20 2011, 10:08 am
My best writing is often done in waiting rooms- if I'm there alone. If I take public transportaion there, I write on the way too.

Otherwise, when the house is quiet and I feel in the mood, I write well. Distractions are terrible.

sunshine!

Post Thu, Jan 20 2011, 10:20 am
My best inspirations come when I am trying to sleep. Often I get up to jot down a line or two of an idea so I remember it in the am. I got used to leaving a pen and paper on the night table after I had an idea and used my eyeliner pen on a tissue and couldn't decipher what I wrote in the morning.

c.c.cookie

Post Thu, Jan 20 2011, 5:07 pm
I don't write anymore. I know you'll all say it's impossible, but I've totally lost it. However, when I used to write once upon a time, I had two times when my writing was best:
- In the middle of the night, when I should have been sleeping (that doesn't exist nowadays - if I can sleep - I sleep!)
- In school, when my teachers assumed I was taking notes. (Don't have that anymore either. I guess that's why I don't write anymore. Wink )

beentheredonethat

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 11:52 am
I write best when I'm passionate about the subject matter.

baba

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 12:11 pm
I also need the kids to be asleep, or preferably, I'm alone at home (when does that ever happen).
I also tend to do better when I have a set time space where I have nothing else I can do.
Internet is a problem.

To tell you the truth, I get my best inspiration whilst showering. Very helpful.

robynm

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 12:30 pm
when im in bed and supposed to be sleeping
or when im driving

never near a pen/paper or computer
Rolling Eyes

Isramom8

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 12:34 pm
I get my best ideas upon awakening. I keep pen and paper in my bedroom.
My writing is best when something inspires me.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 12:35 pm
When I'm in pain.

robynm

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
When I'm in pain.

Hug

ive never used this emoticon. ive saved it for you....

amother

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 12:53 pm
robynm wrote:
amother wrote:
When I'm in pain.

Hug

ive never used this emoticon. ive saved it for you....

thx robynm.

nechami1

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 5:05 pm
at night, lying in bed trying to fall asleep, a topic can just come to me and if I dont write it then and there, the wording is usually gone by morning

robynm

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 8:24 pm
nechami1 wrote:
at night, lying in bed trying to fall asleep, a topic can just come to me and if I dont write it then and there, the wording is usually gone by morning

I wish I would get out of bed to write it down
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club