Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Ferrets and Hedgehogs
Previous  1  2

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 5:53 am
Hedgehogs and other animals: http://radulova.livejournal.com/1601215.html

Adorable!

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 3:35 pm
Oh, they are the cutest!

chavamom

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 4:48 pm
Beware - ferrets STINK. If you have them in your house, you might not notice it, but guests will.

(We have a rabbit. If you'd like rabbit info, I'm happy to share. I think they are awesome pets.)

Last edited by chavamom on Thu, Jan 27 2011, 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

chavamom

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 4:49 pm
According to my brother, sugar gliders are the new up and coming "pocket pet". Apparently they can stink too if you feed them too much protein.

JC

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 5:53 pm
chavamom wrote:
According to my brother, sugar gliders are the new up and coming "pocket pet". Apparently they can stink too if you feed them too much protein.

I had sugar gliders for a few months. I found them a new home.

They are very cute, but ONLY if they bond with you.
I bought mine from a reputable breeder, but I think they were too old already. There is a debate about the proper age, too young is not good, but too old and they are more likely to not like you.
They are night creatures and very noisy at night. I was the only one up at night to play with them.

And they were VERY smelly! I got them a very big cage, but even so they pooped anywhere and the walls and floor around the cage were disgusting.

They are so cute- but not good pets.

JC

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 5:59 pm
Oh and I forgot the meal worms!!! Well at that time they became really hard to get so when I got lucky and the pet store had just gotten a few cups of mealworms in, I snatched them up and started a mealworm farm... I cant believe what I did for dang little creatures... ICK I touched bugs for the sugargliders.

chavamom

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 6:01 pm
Rabbits. Pooping machines, but tidy and litterbox trained. End of story. (We have never had smell from our rabbit).

marina

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 6:19 pm
chavamom wrote:
Beware - ferrets STINK. If you have them in your house, you might not notice it, but guests will.

(We have a rabbit. If you'd like rabbit info, I'm happy to share. I think they are awesome pets.)

ferrets stink to high heaven but there are foods and medications that eliminate this problem almost completely.

chavamom

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 6:20 pm
I wonder why the neighbor who has them (and they STINK) doesn't use them. She's extremely well informed about animals and their care.

marina

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 6:28 pm
just google, there's a lot of info on this topic

JC

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 6:28 pm
chavamom wrote:
I wonder why the neighbor who has them (and they STINK) doesn't use them. She's extremely well informed about animals and their care.

I would guess its because there may be side effects. For example feeding the sugargliders mealworms increased their stinkiness exponentially - but they are an essential part of their diet. Many people dont feed their sugargliders live bugs, but they are compromising a big part of their diets.

(not dissing you Marina Smile just noting that there may be valid reasons for her neighbor not giving meds for that)

chavamom

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 6:37 pm
marina wrote:
just google, there's a lot of info on this topic

I did. I'm just wondering what the issue is or if she doesn't notice the smell. I take that back. She actually apologized for the smell when I was there last.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 28 2011, 9:26 am
Sugar gliders are sooooo cute.

mommyof6

Post Fri, Jan 28 2011, 4:45 pm
Actually, you CAN buy crickets at the store... Most pet stores carry them for animal food. You can also get mice, live or dead, for snake food:)

Fox

Post Fri, Jan 28 2011, 5:00 pm
mommyof6 wrote:
Actually, you CAN buy crickets at the store... Most pet stores carry them for animal food. You can also get mice, live or dead, for snake food:)

That's what I do now. I'm not quite up to breeding crickets myself or ordering them in quantities of 1000 over the Internet. Plus, I think my FedEx guy would probably have a nervous breakdown -- he's a bit nervous, anyway.

No, I want to pick them up in Aisle 7 of the local human supermarket -- right next to the dog chow! LOL

I'd also heard that ferrets and sugar gliders present olfactory challenges, but like Marina said, there were ways around it.

The more I learn, the more I'm thinking my forgiving geckos are about my speed!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets