Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Ferrets and Hedgehogs
1  2  Next

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 1:19 pm
Ruchel's updates on her pets got me thinking about small furry (or prickly!) things!

I know Marina said she has a ferret and Ruchel said she ferret-sat; does anyone else have a ferret?

Also, I've wanted a hedgehog for the longest time -- anyone with hedgie experience?

I doubt that I'll run out to get either of these pets . . . my geckos are plenty, especially since I have to constantly run out to get them live crickets to eat! If only they sold crickets at the supermarket, like dog food!

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 1:25 pm
While I understand the whole pet thing (had guinea pigs and parakeets growing up in addition to some stray kittens) I cannot for the life of me get the ferret thing. Aren't they dangerous? Don't they bite? I just heard about a pet ferret who bit off most of a baby's fingers while he was sleeping. WHY WOULD ANYONE KEEP A PET LIKE THAT IN THE HOUSE???

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 1:27 pm
Hedgehogs are adorable! I've never had one as a pet but I've played with wild ones. They shuffle around and snuffle and they're really soft underneath Smile

MrsDash

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 1:48 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
While I understand the whole pet thing (had guinea pigs and parakeets growing up in addition to some stray kittens) I cannot for the life of me get the ferret thing. Aren't they dangerous? Don't they bite? I just heard about a pet ferret who bit off most of a baby's fingers while he was sleeping. WHY WOULD ANYONE KEEP A PET LIKE THAT IN THE HOUSE???

It must have been untrained, and had an aggressive personality. I've had (and known) many sweet natured ferrets that didn't bite. One of the most important things that pet owners should do is handle their pets as much as possible. The more you play with your pet, the friendlier they will be.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 1:58 pm
Where I live ferrets are quite expensive (300 euros +), maybe a bit less if you buy a grown up or one from a "heimish" breeder or on websites where people post ads. They have to be educated VERY well or as adults they can bite very strongly. My DH was bitten, it was awful!
It's too bad because it's a very fun and playful and curious animal. Rats too can bite, but they have smaller teeth, less strength, and are smaller!

Females need either to have a litter or to be sterilized. It was part of my animal care degree but seems like my brain has already forgotten a lot Tongue Out I do remember the "ferret pill" isn't considered a viable option yet. Ferret fertility isn't so good and they are more likely than some other pets to have problems during pregnancy, birth and lack of milk or low maternal instinct. I thought humans had it bad, but some races of animals have a c section rate of up to 90%...

I really suggest anyone interested to google for specialized sites!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferret_health (only caveat, it's a machlokes whether it's healthy for the MALE to be neutered, if he doesnt have other males he could maim).

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 2:12 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I thought humans had it bad, but some races of animals have a c section rate of up to 90%...

Ah, but do they have epidurals?! LOL

Seriously, I didn't realize you had a degree in animal care. That is the apotheosis of cool, IMHO!

From everything I've read and from what you're saying, it sounds like ferrets are quite a bit of work -- they're not really in the same category as other furry things that live in cages.

Hedgehogs are more my speed, anyway! However, DH has set a moratorium on the animal population of the house. So unless I plan to turn a couple of lizards into handbags, I'll have to put aside my hedgie ambitions.

I saw your picture of the teacup pig, and I've long been enchanted by these little guys! I'm not sure how practical they are or if they're even muttar to keep in a Jewish home, but they sound like wonderful pets!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 2:40 pm
I only got it recently. DH and I regretted we didn't go to school together so we decided to get a (useful) degree that would allow for that. It was soooo fun to study and attend together!
And now we are allowed to give more complex care when pet sitting or breeding than without this degree.

For a c section, a dog for example should have an epidural (followed by morphin) and not a full anaesthesia.

As for natural birth, it's a big machlokes whether the animals should be given painkillers or not. Some are afraid they may not push everyone out, or be too sleepy to feed and wash the babies afterwards. Some advise homeopathy. I haven't tried yet, I'm not comfortable meddling. I do know people who send their animal (bigger, as in cat or dog) to the vet clinic to give birth and recover, especially for older females. They have IV glucosis and painkillers in this case.

A dog shouldn't have more than 4 c sections because there is a lot more weight on this area than someone standing. They definitely take lots of painkillers and may be too tired to nurse.

But BH painkillers have been worked on even for tiny animals. When my rat gave birth (lo alenu) to abnormal babies (those we kept under oxygen) we had something to give them so they didn't suffer Sad

Let's not tackle the "knot or no knot on the ombilical cord" machlokes, though. Blood has been shed over it in vet schools Wink

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 2:49 pm
http://www.teacuppigsforsale.com/
I love them. Halachically speaking, some forbid all treif animals when unnecessary, some only forbid the pig, some tolerate it when it's clearly not a food breeding. Of course, not in EY!

I really want one, but if I get one I will haaaaave to get another one and to have a litter, and then... my DH says only when we have a garden!

These days I also want a giant rat (very clever, long lived, can learn to go to the toilets!)

Or a capybara www.GiantHamster.com
But go find them here!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 3:12 pm
Some states don't allow these (wild) animals to be kept as pets.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 3:19 pm
Unit of Measure

BY SANDRA BEASLEY

All can be measured by the standard of the capybara.
Everyone is lesser than or greater than the capybara.
Everything is taller or shorter than the capybara.
Everything is mistaken for a Brazilian dance craze
more or less frequently than the capybara.
Everyone eats greater or fewer watermelons
than the capybara. Everyone eats more or less bark.
Everyone barks more than or less than the capybara,
who also whistles, clicks, grunts, and emits what is known
as his alarm squeal. Everyone is more or less alarmed
than a capybara, who—because his back legs
are longer than his front legs—feels like
he is going downhill at all times.
Everyone is more or less a master of grasses
than the capybara. Or going by the scientific name,
more or less Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris—
or, going by the Greek translation, more or less
water hog. Everyone is more or less
of a fish than the capybara, defined as the outermost realm
of fishdom by the 16th-century Catholic Church.
Everyone is eaten more or less often for Lent than
the capybara. Shredded, spiced, and served over plantains,
everything tastes more or less like pork
than the capybara. Before you decide that you are
greater than or lesser than a capybara, consider
that while the Brazilian capybara breeds only once a year,
the Venezuelan variety mates continuously.
Consider the last time you mated continuously.
Consider the year of your childhood when you had
exactly as many teeth as the capybara—
twenty—and all yours fell out, and all his
kept growing. Consider how his skin stretches
in only one direction. Accept that you are stretchier
than the capybara. Accept that you have foolishly
distributed your eyes, ears, and nostrils
all over your face. Accept that now you will never be able
to sleep underwater. Accept that the fish
will never gather to your capybara body offering
their soft, finned love. One of us, they say, one of us,
but they will not say it to you.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 3:21 pm
Yup, or only with a license/degree.

By here, you only need the license if you plan to breed the pig more than three times a year.

For a capy you may need the thing even without breeding, and you may even need the wild animals one (we have the domestic one, there is a third one for agricultural).

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 3:32 pm
Abelia is adorable, and I don't have the aversion to her tail that I occasionally feel with smaller rats . . . This would be a great video for basic French language instruction, BTW! I especially loved, "Je mange."

As for capys, well, my skin seems to have stretched in one direction . . . out! I know, I know -- that's not what is meant! LOL

I would also love a de-scented skunk, though I'm told they are very mischievous -- they have opposable thumbs or at least something similar, so they get into everything. Still, they're supposed to be a lot of fun.

Somewhere I read that people knowledgeable about hedgehogs suggest keeping the nocturnal animals in a small sack around your neck during the day. Apparently they like the warmth and it bonds them to their human owner. Granted, this is more practical for those of us who work from home, but I like the idea of going about my daily routine with a hedgie nestled in a sack against me.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 3:40 pm
Many animals love skin to skin and being carried around. I do it with the babies born at home (I did it with Mati, too LOL ) and they get ultra attached and trusting, they fall asleep on me! That's why I tell people to buy at an involved breeder and not at a pet shop, they hardly have time for that!

I do bring them back when they get hungry and try to nurse. What is crazy is that they do the same faces, hand movements and tiny sounds as a newborn trying to nurse... I love Hashem's world!! LOL

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 3:45 pm
Sequoia, where do you find all these amazing pieces. And there's tons more on your blog! Although I resisted at first, Units of Measure pulled me in, especially at the end!

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 3:58 pm
My guinea pig pee'ed on me today.

Just sayin'.

Confused

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 4:01 pm
Fox wrote:
Sequoia, where do you find all these amazing pieces. And there's tons more on your blog! Although I resisted at first, Units of Measure pulled me in, especially at the end!

Oho, you read, do you? Why don't you comment?

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 4:34 pm
sequoia wrote:
Fox wrote:

Puh-leese! I already write reams and reams (or the virtual equivalent) over here! Do you really want me dumping even more verbiage into cyberspace? Don't answer that! LOL

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 4:37 pm
Fox wrote:
sequoia wrote:
Fox wrote:

Puh-leese! I already write reams and reams (or the virtual equivalent) over here! Do you really want me dumping even more verbiage into cyberspace? Don't answer that! LOL

Comments on lj are usually just one line. It would be a negligible part of your daily oeuvre.

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 4:54 pm
sequoia wrote:
Comments on lj are usually just one line. It would be a negligible part of your daily oeuvre.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

makdragon

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 7:20 pm
My brother had a hedgehog a few years ago, named Quillette. She was SO cute, but unfortunately, she died after a year or so because she broke her leg and never really recovered from it. She would curl up and it was hard to pick her up, but it was fun. The only annoying things were she had a tendency to poop on one's hand. Ich.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets