Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Pregnant with twins and not gaining any weight

cnaanr

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 7:39 pm
I am currently 15 weeks pregnant with twins and didnt gain any weight even though I eat all day! just curious if anyone else experienced that? those of you who had twins, how much did you gain all pregnancy? was it obvious that there might be 2 in there? did you get comments? which trimester was hardest? right now I have no energy, does that get better or worse?

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 8:00 pm
cnaanr wrote:
I am currently 15 weeks pregnant with twins and didnt gain any weight even though I eat all day! just curious if anyone else experienced that? those of you who had twins, how much did you gain all pregnancy? was it obvious that there might be 2 in there? did you get comments? which trimester was hardest? right now I have no energy, does that get better or worse?
It took a while for me to gain weight as well. The babies need so much that even eating all day doesn't make you gain as much as weight as with a singleton. I gained a total of 10-15 pounds the whole pregnancy. It was extremely obvious there were 2 in there (in fact, most people thought I'm carrying at least triplets). Yes, I got comments/questions. For me, the midsecond to the end was really hard. I was on bedrest from the early 20 weeks up until delivery. No energy is very normal because they are really sapping you of strength. Is your heartbeat also faster like mine was? For me the energy got a little better once I got past the first 2-3 months. I slept 18 (!!) out of 24 hours for the first few weeks.

Good luck. It is an awesome journey.

Hodu Lashem

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 8:30 pm
cnaanr wrote:

In the beginning, I did not gain that much either. It was my first pregnancy. I did not really show until about my 6th month. I started to look big in my 3rd trimester and did get a couple of questions. I gained 60 lbs altogether, but I was thin to begin with. I lost all my baby weight after. (25 lbs within the first 4 days!)

Hatzlochoh to you! Your pregnancy and delivery should go smoothly, b'shaah tova!

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 9:10 pm
I also did not gain much at all for a long time. In the end I gained about 25 pounds total and within 2 weeks post partum had lost 40 pounds! shock

It was pretty cool to end up smaller than when I got pregnant!

mommy7

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 9:56 pm
Great book about nutrition when pregnant with multiples.

http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Ex.....r=1-1

I was kind of smallish to begin with, but I gained about 60lb in the end. Which was absolutely fine, because I'm about 10 wks later and lost pretty much all of it. And as soon as I stop eating potato chips for supper, I'll lose the rest, I'm sure.

Weight gain has a lot to do with how healthy the babies will be at birth. And since twins are gen born small, or often born premature, the more they weigh, the better it is for them. The book really helped me understand which food would help my twins develop best at different stages. I absolutely did not eat yucky oat bran for breakfast, but I would try whole-wheat bagels and stuff like that.

Also, this book advocates eating ice cream for calcium and protein. Definitely a winner.

Pineapple

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 9:58 pm
I lost weight in the beg. and then only gained baby weight

Motheroftwins

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 10:15 pm
when I was preg w my twins, I was so sick at the beginning, I was throwing up all day and lost 20 lbs in the first 10 wks. after that I gained a total of 20 lbs.....ppl had NO CLUE I was having twins...I gave birth at 34 wks and ppl who saw me just b4 I went to hopsital thought I looked 5 months w a single baby. I lost all baby weight b4 I even left the hosp. abt not gaining at the beginning, the dr told me that as long as the babies r growing who cares......towards wk 18-20 I started gaining for real

Tefila

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 10:40 pm
B'h
At the begining I too hardly gained but by the last trimester I had put on a good 45lbs

life'sgreat

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 11:21 pm
mommy7 wrote:
Great book about nutrition when pregnant with multiples.

http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Ex.....r=1-1

I was kind of smallish to begin with, but I gained about 60lb in the end. Which was absolutely fine, because I'm about 10 wks later and lost pretty much all of it. And as soon as I stop eating potato chips for supper, I'll lose the rest, I'm sure.

Weight gain has a lot to do with how healthy the babies will be at birth. And since twins are gen born small, or often born premature, the more they weigh, the better it is for them. The book really helped me understand which food would help my twins develop best at different stages. I absolutely did not eat yucky oat bran for breakfast, but I would try whole-wheat bagels and stuff like that.

Also, this book advocates eating ice cream for calcium and protein. Definitely a winner.
The bolded isn't so black and white. There are many babies who are born after difficult pregnancies, where the nausea keeps the mother back from gaining weight and they are great weights. Also, the fact that she doesn't gain weight, even if she eats well, still means that the babies are gaining good weight.

I tried to eat as much protein as possible.

4c

Post Sat, Dec 26 2009, 11:44 pm
My twin pregnancy was my third, and I actually gained less wight total than with my two other singleton pregnancies. I gained around 30 pounds, but I started out very, very thin, around 105 lb. I did gain a lot in the first few months, but that is my normal pattern: to do a bunch of big gains such as 5-8 lbs a month, and then for it to even out. At the end I could barely put on any weight, and my body other than my stomach got pretty skinny. I found it impossible to eat since there was no space, so I tried to eat high quality, high caloric food. My stomach was HUGE. I did show very early and gained in size in my stomach by leaps and bounds, but it just didn't go to the rest of my body. The other strange thing was I was the least nauseous with the twin pregnancy compared to the others, but perhaps it had to do with being waaaay busier and figuring out what worked to keep my nausea and throwing up at bay, but I have never lost weight at the beginning of any pregnancy as the main thing for me to stay on my feet is to keep eating constantly.

mommy7

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 1:31 am
Sorry, life'sgreat. I should have said 'good nutrition has a lot to do with healthy birth weights'. Thanx for pointing it out.

chani06

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 12:07 am
I also had this issue and I saw a specialized pregnancy nutritionist who worked me. I gained a total of 21 lbs and my babies were 5 and 5.5 lbs. Good luck!

gabriell82

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 4:47 pm
I just had twins I only gained 16 pounds and in the begining didnt gain anything.I started showing in my fourth month good luck!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more