Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Creative play

yehudis

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 7:38 pm
My 3-year-old was playing with her baby doll. I asked her to pick up some books that were on the floor. She told me, "I'll do it later, when my baby falls asleep. It's hard for me to do it when she is awake."

What would you say to that?

I mean, I know that it's important for children to role play, and it's cute too, but should there be limits on how far they're allowed to go?

zuncompany

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 7:42 pm
I see this with Zu. Well, he can't tell me with words, but he does a good job communicating it. What I did was with my baby (tev) I go and start doing what I asked of him. If I can do it with my baby, he can to. He usually will come over to help after watching for a min or two.

Sara

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 8:33 pm
I'd say it depends on a situation - children are pepole too and have feelings as much as we do.

Did you ask her to do this before?
Did you tell her to put books away after she finished reading them?
Do you generally enforce old away before the new is out rule?
Is it urgent?
Is she really palying or just making up exuses?
Is it clean-up time anyways?

You can also suggest putting the baby in right now and cleaning while she's sleeping.
Or offer to babysit while she does a mitzva of kibud eim 8)

I play it by ear.

The most important thing is that she HAS to do it eventually.

roza

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 12:49 am
Quote:
You can also suggest putting the baby in right now and cleaning while she's sleeping.
Or offer to babysit while she does a mitzva of kibud eim

yes, playing along would be the best option- especially with 3 year old- they are very serious about what they are saying. When we take them seriously they in turn will take us seriously.
say something like this ( in lowered tone): ' oh, ok I will help you to clean up quetly' and just help her with one or two books to start. (hopfully she will copy you in future)

Tefila

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 10:23 am
Quote:
Or offer to babysit while she does a mitzva of kibud eim

8) An excellent idea Idea

yehudis

Post Mon, Jan 17 2005, 11:40 pm
Thanks everybody. That's the thing -- she gets so involved in her play, and she takes it absolutely seriously. She did pick up the books eventually, but probably in a hour or so. And this issue comes up all the time. I like the idea about offering to baby-sit.

Speaking of enforcing the rule of putting toys away before taking other toys -- I used to do this before the baby got old enough to take toys out. Now I don't even know how to do it in a fair way, because I don't know which one of them took the toys that are on the floor. Most likely it was the 18-month-old who put the books there. How do you do enforce this rule with a baby around?

roza

Post Tue, Jan 18 2005, 12:07 am
Quote:
Speaking of enforcing the rule of putting toys away before taking other toys -- I used to do this before the baby got old enough to take toys out. Now I don't even know how to do it in a fair way, because I don't know which one of them took the toys that are on the floor. Most likely it was the 18-month-old who put the books there. How do you do enforce this rule with a baby around?

At least there should be a major 'toys and books' clean up BEFORE bed time- everyone puts everything away. During the day - it's up to you. I don't think 1-2 year olds can do it on their own without our help or the help of older brothers and sisters (5-7 year olds) if there are any around.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers