Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Fasting
Previous  1  2

Are you fasting today?
yes  
 30%  [ 42 ]
no  
 70%  [ 98 ]
Total Votes : 140

overworkedraizy

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 12:28 pm
just for a half a day
woman don't have to fast, their is always a different excuse for them Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

octopus

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 12:41 pm
I'm fasting. But I woke up with a tremendously sore throat and a cold. If I can't cope chasing after the kids and feeling very weak, I'm going to ask my Rav if I can break it. I'm very grateful though it is not a schmoiling hot day today. Makes things a lot easier.

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 1:00 pm
small bean wrote:

I am not fasting today. I usually try to fast, but my husbands rav said not to because of the heat.

and of all days, its not even hot out today. did he give that as a blanket psak for all summer fasts? or did you ask him about today specifically? (just curious)

I am fasting today. I am an awful faster but not pregnant or nursing so tough luck Sad

Shendellah

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 1:03 pm
I have to work today so I'm fasting by not eating but I am drinking fluids (just water and black tea). I get awful migraines when I fast so I'm hoping that the fluids will keep me from getting terribly sick. So far so good!

Shendellah

I have to work today so I'm fasting by not eating but I am drinking fluids (just water and black tea). I get awful migraines when I fast so I'm hoping that the fluids will keep me from getting terribly sick. So far so good!

Twizzlers

small bean wrote:

I am not fasting today. I usually try to fast, but my husbands rav said not to because of the heat.

and of all days, its not even hot out today. did he give that as a blanket psak for all summer fasts? or did you ask him about today specifically? (just curious)

I am fasting today. I am an awful faster but not pregnant or nursing so tough luck Sad

Kugel lover

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 1:17 pm
Yups I'm fasting! Not preg or nursing. This is my first fast (besides yom kippur & Tisha bav) in 2 years. So far so good!

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 1:34 pm
I'm not doing so well...and it is only 30 minutes past chatzos....only 7.5 hrs more....I hope.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 1:46 pm
B"H I made it through. It was the best fast ever. No headache. Almost no hunger.
Very thirsty though...
I think it's because I'm doing Atkins. My metabolism is just fine without food. Amazing!

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 5:17 pm
Took kali tzom tablets before. After chatzos, ate and drank in shiurim. Not pg or nursing, but was pg a lot of times, and had all my kids home today to entertain. This was what I could do.

BinahYeteirah

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 5:22 pm
I am still fasting. More than four hours to go. I'm nursing, so I will break the fast if I feel sick. I'm doing okay right now.

mimivan

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 7:31 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Atali wrote:
mimivan wrote:
I'm fasting although it makes me slow... Very Happy

still have a nursing baby, but he really doesn't nurse too much (twice daily)
also I understood that of the minor fast days, 17 of Tammuz is borderline major...

I remember last 17 of Tammuz was the first time I had to fast that fast pregnant. But only because I was late and the Rav said "Why not, it could speed things up."? It didn't really, but the fast wasn't awful..

Actually, of the minor fast days the Rebbe said the asarah b'teves is the most major.

I thought I also learned this as well. I thought I learned that asarah b'teves is the only fast for which if it falls out on shabbos (which it never does, but in theory) one would be obligated to fast on shabbos.

thanks for this! I didn't know...I guess I had the two mixed up. I usually fast also on asera b'teves, unless I'm nursing heavily and a rav tells me I don't have to.

mimivan

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 7:33 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
B"H I made it through. It was the best fast ever. No headache. Almost no hunger.
Very thirsty though...
I think it's because I'm doing Atkins. My metabolism is just fine without food. Amazing!

Yeah I think the fact I was on a semi-macrobiotic diet before helped me fast better. This is the first fast I recall not having a headache or feeling weak until an hour and half before the end.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 7:35 pm
oy, I got a horrible headache and blurry vision around chatzos (1p here...total fast is 17.5 hrs here today)

rav said I could take medicine after chatzos if I needed it, and then if that didn't work, water, adn then if that didn't work, food. BH the meds works well enough to get me far enough along and then DH let me take a nap for a couple hrs (until basically bedtime for the kids).

So, now the kids are asleep and I can stare at the cmoputer screen until DH leaves for minchah. Then, I'll start getting his food together for after maariv.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 7:37 pm
and someone is burning yummy smelling wood? something or other, I suppose for a BBQ...so, now I'm finally getting hungry (with 1.5 hrs to go) I actually hadn't been hungry (ate cereal at 3am before fast), but very thirsty and weak.

ESB

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 9:18 pm
Im really wondering why someone would do shiurim on a day like today????

I once heard the beginning of the churban was the worst time so thats why yid teyvas is a stronger fast than todays fast. A women isnt mechyuv to fast other than tisha buv and yom kippur.

Isramom8

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 3:54 am
ESB wrote:
Im really wondering why someone would do shiurim on a day like today????

I once heard the beginning of the churban was the worst time so thats why yid teyvas is a stronger fast than todays fast. A women isnt mechyuv to fast other than tisha buv and yom kippur.

Just because I felt bad eating, and could fast if I did the shiurim thing. Yud Teves is the most serious after Yom Kippur and Tisha B'Av. When pg or nursing, I fasted only on Yom Kippur (always) and Tisha B'Av (usually , or in shiurim, or drank regular). In Israel I believe the poskim say that pg and nusrsing women should not fast on "minor" fasts.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days