Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Lubavitch men and ties
1  2  3  Next

realeez  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 5:23 pm
On my way to shul on Shabbos, a group of Lubavitch men passed by and I realized that none of them were wearing ties. Is there a reason?

DefyGravity  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 5:26 pm
Most unmarried Lubavitch men don't wear ties, I don't know why. I've also seen some married guys without ties, I just assume that it's because they grew used to not wearing one when they're single, and just neglect to put one on.

Motek  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 5:36 pm
Have you noticed Satmar, Bobov etc. men with ties? I doubt it. Chasidim generally don't wear ties.

There are exceptions. The Lubavitcher Rebbe wore a black tie (not too visible behind the beard and kapote. Many shluchim wear ties because it's expected out in the communities they work in.

Why the general rule though?

Not sure. I remember hearing something about it separating the head from the heart when the head is supposed to rule the heart.

Chasidim wear a gartel which separates the upper body from the lower body.

stem  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 6:46 pm
Why did the lub. rebbe wear a tie, and why don't his chassidim follow what he did?

ektsm  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 6:51 pm
My husband wears a tie!

realeez  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 7:34 pm
Maybe it was noticeable b/c these men weren't wearing kapotas - most of them didn't even button their suit jackets.

ektsm  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 7:37 pm
SOrry but that sounds shlumpy and has nothing to do with wearing or not wearing a tie.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 7:45 pm
one man at his own son's bar mitzvah didn't wear a tie; said it's goysiche!

amother  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 7:48 pm
Many Lubavitchers dont wear ties b/c it wasnt considered chassidish to be into clothes. My husband actually wears a tie to work... but will generally not wear 1 in the lubavitch school.
And unfortunately, the lubavitch men r wearing ties now, and if u go to the kinus hashluchim, u'll c there is that competition b/w ties, the men r wearing all colors including PINK!

hardwrknmom

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 8:12 pm
Who said a man can't wear pink?

I say if you look good in the color wear it.

shayna82

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 8:40 pm
I agree. whats wrong with pink, or even a light purple shirt?

amother  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 8:46 pm
there is n/t wrong, its just that a chossid shouldn't be into his looks, colors...(chitzonius)

amother  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:

unfortunately, the lubavitch men r wearing ties now, and if u go to the kinus hashluchim, u'll c there is that competition b/w ties, the men r wearing all colors including PINK!

What's unfortunate about Lubavitch men wearing ties?? Who cares what color they are? I don't think theres a rule about it either way. My father wears a tie all the time (to work and on Shabbos) and my husband and brothers wear ties on special occasions (bar mitzvas, weddings) for no other reason than that they just don't like the feel of a tie and therefore don't like to wear it every Shabbos.

amother wrote:

u'll c there is that competition b/w ties, the men r wearing all colors including PINK!

Alot of the time, it's the wives picking out the ties and most shluchim are definately not making a competition out of it (unless theyre really bored - which usually isn't the case with shluchim)

amother wrote:

the men r wearing all colors including PINK!

And what's wrong with pink? If it suits the guy, why not?

amother  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 8:55 pm
amother wrote:
there is n/t wrong, its just that a chossid shouldn't be into his looks, colors...(chitzonius)

When you see a Lubavitcher wearing a spiffy tie, it doesn't neccessarily mean that he's into his clothes and picked it out. Usually it's his wife. And if he does care about how he looks, why isn't that chassidish? It's good for a man to care about looking neat, clean etc. Of course there are limits to everything and I'm not talking about being obsessed with looks.

queen

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 9:11 pm
SaraG wrote:
one man at his own son's bar mitzvah didn't wear a tie; said it's goysiche!

maybe mention to him how the Lub'vitcher Rebbe wore a tie.......

amother  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 9:12 pm
I don't know about the men, but the lubavitch women I personally know and seen walking around in many different cities in the US are extremely into their looks and are always dressed in the highest fashion.

(other Jewish women may also be into their looks, but this thread is about lubavitch)

stem  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 9:15 pm
I don't know about the men, but the lubavitch women I personally know and have seen walking around in many different cities in the US are extremely into their looks and are always dressed in the highest fashion.

(other Jewish women may also be into their looks, but this thread is about lubavitch)

gryp  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 9:20 pm
Quote:
Maybe it was noticeable b/c these men weren't wearing kapotas - most of them didn't even button their suit jackets.

it was shabbos and they werent wearing kapotes???
are you sure they were married?

Quote:
u'll c there is that competition b/w ties, the men r wearing all colors including PINK!

competition???
oh puh-lease... Rolling Eyes
they probably dont even realize what color their ties are!

stem? was that a double post? Wink
or are you quoting?

stem

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 9:23 pm
Sorry I posted as amother by accident so I posted again under my name.

Milk Munch  

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 9:48 pm
Quote:
Not sure. I remember hearing something about it separating the head from the heart when the head is supposed to rule the heart.

This is how I heard it:
This is the idea of a gartel, making a separation. Many other cultures have adapted this idea. The French used the tie, and arabs use that rope around thier heads that holds thier dishtowels on.
So, yes, the Rebbe wore a tie, but it was not symbolic in this way. And that is probobly why chasidim do not as a rule wear a tie.

I think every chosid decides on a personal level to wear or not to wear a tie based simply on preference and lifestyle. I think most who do wear one do so to make a kiddush hashem because that is considered the "proper" attire for men in a formal setting (or work setting etc.)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics