Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Things to do near the crayola factory
1  2  Next

avimom  

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 10:21 pm
We'd like to go on vacation to Pennsylvania and visit the crayola factory. Any ideas what to do around there? We don't want to travel to Hershey/ Amish town (it's too far for us...)

msym

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 10:28 pm
I think dorney park is about a 1/2 hour away from there

avimom  

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 10:34 pm
thanks, but dh doesn't want to walk around a water park in the summer...

JC

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 11:02 pm
The most important thing to do near the crayola factory is visit the most important crayon- Crayon210

...groan.... I know its late... Ill be quite now... I promise not to try to be funny when I am this tired

avimom  

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 11:06 pm
:-) If she wants to put us up and she lives near there, we'll come...

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 11:14 pm
I remember there not being a lot to do around there - I hope I'm wrong. They are in a cute area, the litle buildings, but not much to visit and not a great area as you venture further and further from the factory.

avimom  

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 11:35 am
hmm. There's a science museum- Davinci Science Center. Anyone ever heard of it?

sky  

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 12:11 pm
There are some underground caverns slighlty nearby. Not amazing but a good activity. When we were there - there was a county fair in Allentown that we enjoyed - but I think it was later in the year. We drove up to Bushkill falls from there. I don't think it is too far. I also don't remember there being too much in the immediate area.

sky  

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 12:13 pm
What about the stuff listed on the Crayol website:
http://www.crayola.com/Factory/your_visit.cfm

Local Attractions

National Canal Museum

Come explore the National Canal Museum with its 90-foot water-filled model canal system. Kids and adults are immediately engaged in the fun and learning as they pilot their boats through the locks. You can harness a life-sized mule, play the canal captain simulation game, and operate a model train layout. It's all hands-on fun at the National Canal Museum!

Canal Boat Ride (June-July-August)

Located a few miles from Two Rivers Landing in Hugh Moore Park. Take a 30 minute mule-drawn canal boat ride on the Josiah White II, with costumed interpreters describing life on the canal. Canal boat admission includes a visit to the Emerick Technology Center. A combination ticket for a boat ride and admission to Two Rivers Landing is available. Please call (610) 515–8000 for more information.

Christkindlmarkt

A European-style holiday market with food, arts and crafts, ice sculpting and live holiday entertainment. Thursdays – Sundays from November 24 – December 17.

Other Local Attractions

Lost Rivers Caverns
Shawnee Mountain
Sesame Place
Dorney Park
Hershey Park

DaVinci Center
Banana Factory
Martin Guitar
Lehigh Valley Zoo

Easton Farmers Market

Area Information

Easton’s Website
Experience PA
Lehigh Valley Convention and Visitors Bureau
Bucks County Conference and Visitors Bureau
Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau
Regional Cultural Events

avimom  

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 12:24 pm
Thanks! Bushkill falls is not that close and you can't bring a stroller (not practical for us). I've been to the canal museum, it's nice but not for more than an hour. The other things are FAR aside for the science museum and zoo. We did find a cherry picking farm which may be nice. thanks for the ideas!

sky  

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 12:45 pm
We used a carrier for our baby at Bushkill Falls but the truth was we didn't like the falls there so much - it was too tourist based. We did go to one falls in the Delaware water gap that was stroller accessible but it wasn't a really long walk (the falls were gorgeous thou). I'm going to try to think of other stuff we need in the area when we were there.

imala

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 1:43 pm
We were just there. We went to a minor league baseball game - the Iron pigs. The next day we drove about an hour to Dutch Wonderland. It's a great amusement park for younger kids.

kitov

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 7:25 pm
While you're at it, don't forget to visit crayon....

avimom  

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 8:12 pm
Is dutch wonderland a water park too? I have an almostt 4 year old and a 1 1/2 year old, is it approproate for them?

sky  

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 9:32 am
I think it has a water park section. But it may be more speperate. the park is geared toward younger kids.

nylon

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 10:21 am
There's a water section but it's nothing like Wildwater Kingdom (Dorney).

They're using quite a wide area for the "local" attractions; Hershey is 90 mins from Easton. It wouldn't be too far to do both if you had a couple of days. Hershey is expensive, though. Sesame Place is great for littles but it's practically in Philadelphia.

The Lehigh Valley isn't really what I'd call a tourist attraction heavy area. The big things are the Crayola factory and Dorney Park.

When are you going? Cherries are almost finished in this part of PA so that activity may be out, though there should be other U-Pick stuff. I'm further south; we're on blueberries in the U-Picks with peaches set to start.

avimom  

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 12:28 pm
Thanks for the replies! We are considering switching our plans to Lancaster since it seems there is a lot more to do there. Since we keep c"y we won't be going to hershey...
The farm said cherries now and then peaches- we are hoping towards the second week in august.
Sesame place is almost all water. I have great memories from there when I was little but DH wouldn't go. The farm in lancaster seems much nicer (the one with the corn maze- oh yeah, and of course pricier) so we will probably end up there...

cookielady

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 12:29 pm
Hershey park is great even if you are cy!

avimom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 12:37 pm
I agree but DH it not as into chocolate as I am :-)

sky  

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 1:18 pm
If going to Lancaster then check out Lake Tobias. It is a little bit of a drive - but totally worth it. My kids loved it. It is a safari and petting zoo.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics