Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Obama Tells Abbas: I Support Dividing Jerusalem!!!!!
1  2  3  4  Next

supermama2

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 7:56 am
http://www.israelnationalnews......28225
Obama Tells Abbas: I Support Dividing Jerusalem

by Hana Levi Julian

(IsraelNN.com) Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama privately expressed his support for a new Arab state within Israel's current borders, including eastern Jerusalem, during his meeting with Palestinian Authority Chairman and Fatah leader Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah this summer.

According to a report published Tuesday in the Lebanese newspaper al-Ahbar, Obama told Abbas that he supports a PA state, and Arab "rights to east Jerusalem" as well. The sources said Abbas and PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad "heard the best things they ever heard from an American president" during the meeting. However, said sources quoted in the report, the candidate asked them to keep his declaration a secret.

PA spokesman Nimar Hamad said he had no comment on the remarks, other than to describe the briefing Abbas and Fayyad had given to the presidential hopeful.

"The Palestinian Authority views the American elections as an internal matter and does not favor one person over another," he said in an official statement. "The PA hopes that the next American president will fulfill his commitment towards the Palestinians and pressure Israel."

Abbas, Fayyad and the rest of the Arab world are clearly hoping for an Obama victory, however. Hamas sources quoted in the article said that Arabs fear new wars would break out in the Middle East if Republican candidate Senator John McCain wins, but they believe there will be an official peace agreement with an Obama White House.

Mixed Messages in Gaza
PA Arabs who live in Gaza were reportedly celebrating in the streets with impromptu demonstrations, waving Hamas flags in anticipation of an Obama win, according to Voice of Israel government radio.

But officials for the terrorist group that controls the region were skeptical that a change in the White House would lead to a change in facts on the ground.

Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhum was quoted by Voice of Israel as saying that voters who would have to choose between Obama and McCain were being presented with two "awful" options.

The group's Damascus-based political bureau chief, Khaled Mashaal, softened the statement by saying the group is prepared to work with any U.S. president and would welcome any change in American policy, especially if it corrected what he referred to as a "bias" toward the Jewish State.

supermama2

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 8:18 am
No one concerned for this??? Confused

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 8:20 am
SarahO. wrote:
No one concerned for this??? Confused

al-Abhar is not my idea of unbiased journalism. And besides, I believe Obama has already said similar things, if not to Abbas.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 8:23 am
concerned? no.
Why should I be shocked. It's just normal and typical and in line with the way he is. And who he is.

supermama2

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 8:25 am
Ruchel wrote:
concerned? no.
Why should I be shocked. It's just normal and typical and in line with the way he is. And who he is.

yeah, fair enough.

Seraph

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 8:26 am
this is old news, gal...

supermama2

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 8:31 am
That he told this to Abbas was new to me. That he has this policy was not new to me.

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 8:33 am
SarahO. wrote:
That he told this to Abbas was new to me. That he has this policy was not new to me.

That's what I'm suspicious about. Has he ever even met Abbas? I don't know.

It doesn't matter. I already voted. Iacta alea est...the die is cast.

square_peg

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 8:37 am
Both Obama and McCain are for a 2-state solution... that is no secret..

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 8:38 am
You didn't know he came to Israel and also visited Ramallah?

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 8:38 am
ChossidMom wrote:
You didn't know he came to Israel and also visited Ramallah?

I knew he came is Israel. I didn't know he met with Abbas. My bad.

ora_43

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 9:25 am
Everyone still remembers that Bush is paying to train and arm Abbas's private army (whoops, "security forces"), right? Even after "security forces" members murdered three Jews in the past year? And even though the forces openly recruit terrorists just weeks after they've "reformed" by turning in one of their many weapons and promising to be good from now on? And McCain has no plans to stop the program.

Just saying... I don't think Obama would be any good for Israel, but neither would McCain, let's not forget that.

anuta

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 9:56 am
I did not vote for the president of Israel today, but for the president of America. Let's not forget that, Israel is a sovereign country.

cassandra

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 10:01 am
anuta wrote:
I did not vote for the president of Israel today, but for the president of America. Let's not forget that, Israel is a sovereign country.

You also voted for a man who tells everyone exactly what they want to hear, even when those things are mutually exclusive.

anuta

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 10:05 am
cassandra wrote:
anuta wrote:

You also voted for a man who tells everyone exactly what they want to hear, even when those things are mutually exclusive.

Its your opinion, not a fact.

My opinion is that I voted of man of integrity, and you voted for a man of ambition who will do anything to get into the White House, even if its bad for America (like choosing Sarah Palin as a running mate)

I am not interested in starting a debate, but I have a right to an opinion, as do you. What you just said about Obama is slander, not fact.

cassandra

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 10:12 am
Because he didn't tell AIPAC that he supports an undivided Jerusalem, and then two days later say that he didn't mean that?

Because he didn't agree to fund his campaign publicly, only to then decide he would be the first candidate in thirty years to privately fund his campaign to the tune of $500+ million more than public financing offers?

Because he didn't say he wouldn't take contributions from special interest groups only to then accept union support?

Because he didn't say we should end the Cuba embargo, only to tell a group of Miami Cubans that would shouldn't end the embargo?

This isn't my opinion, these are FACTS. Calling it slander is laughable.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 10:12 am
anuta wrote:
cassandra wrote:
anuta wrote:

My opinion is that I voted of man of integrity, and you voted for a man of ambition who will do anything to get into the White House, even if its bad for America (like choosing Sarah Palin as a running mate)

I am not interested in starting a debate, but I have a right to an opinion, as do you. What you just said about Obama is slander, not fact.

Not really since I have heard clips where he has gone and told one group one thing and another group the direct opposite.

anuta

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 10:16 am
HindaRochel wrote:
anuta wrote:
cassandra wrote:
anuta wrote:

Not really since I have heard clips where he has gone and told one group one thing and another group the direct opposite.

And I saw clips on youtube of McCain break-dancing, so what?

As I said, I am not interested in debating this.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 10:19 am
You may not feel like debating but you said that something is Cassandra's opinion and slander and she pointed out that it's a fact. and backed it up.
What does this have to do with McCain breakdancing?

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 10:20 am
anuta wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:
anuta wrote:
cassandra wrote:
anuta wrote:

And I saw clips on youtube of McCain break-dancing, so what?

As I said, I am not interested in debating this.

Because he stated one thing to one group and another thing to another group which is exactly what Cassandra said, so Cassandra isn't slandering anyone.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics