Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to be quicker?

Happy Hostess  

Post Yesterday at 6:06 pm
I’m a bit of a perfectionist with some things and am quite meticulous. I’m often all or nothing-
Ex: cleaning my house, I roll up my sleeves and do a deep clean… but have a hard time getting motivated to do a quick pick up and clean more often because I need it to be perfect. So it ends up being a mess 75% of the time Banging head
I also really take my time (read: I’m slow) with things… grocery/clothing shopping, packing for going away, etc.
Cooking takes me longer than most. I follow recipes to a T and am careful about not dirtying ingredients that go back in the cabinets so I wash my hands often between steps, dry, etc…
Laundry takes me time too. I’m specific about how I sort making sure things aren’t inside out that shouldn’t be…

As I’m typing this I realize that many of you may think I’m totally OCD. I can promise you I’m not! I’m really only like this in certain areas.
Any tips on simply just getting faster on doing stuff? Specifically cooking and cleaning. To be clear, it’s something that I do appreciate about myself, that I get very involved in what I’m doing and like to do it 100% (when I’m actually doing it…) but as a mom of 3 who’s like is only going to get busier, I know I would really benefit from doing things quicker earlier on in life:) I’m mid 20s.
Thank you 🙏🏻

Happy Hostess  

Post Yesterday at 6:08 pm
And if this is something you’ve struggled with, please let me know that I’m not the only one!! I marvel at my mother in law who seems to make the whole Shabbos in like an hour and a half🙈

zaq

Post Yesterday at 6:20 pm
You're looking at the problem from the wrong end. It's your perfectionism that's getting in the way of accomplishing things in time. "Tips" won't help because you'll still do things slowly and meticulously, letting "perfect" be the enemy of "good." You need to get rid of your perfectionism first. Therapy may be in order.

Newmom 1

Post Yesterday at 6:22 pm
Oh my this sounds exactly like me to the T. When I had my 3rd I became a stay at home
Mom which honestly just aided the problem bc I had all the time in the world to do things on my schedule. When I got pregnant with my 4th (I already had 3 under 3) I hired a cleaning lady so once a week the house was always spotless.
What helps me, and it really depends on your space, is to make a routine and stick to it. For example I have to start laundry by Sunday and end by Monday night (I sort like crazy too and spray everything and I air dry most things not to damage them, so I know it’s going to take forever and I don’t trust cleaning help with it). Every morning I start with a quick clean up through living area and kitchen (yes sometimes dishes are left over night bc I’m exhausted at night). I leave upstairs and playroom for cleaning lady once a week and she does the deep cleaning too. I also give myself a time limit. By 12-1pm I should be done. I tried doing timers on the my phone which I think I should try again (set a timer before you start on a room and if it’s a big job give yourself breaks in between). That motivated me at some point.
Most importantly just let go and let be. Your house doesn’t have to be perfectly spotless all the time. Hatzlacha!

wanttobehappy

Post Yesterday at 6:35 pm
Can I just say that I see the stress this puts on my mil/sil? I feel so bad for there kids there mom is always cleaning we have so much more fun cuss we can leave a messy house and still go and have fun… we can have pillow fights isn’t he dinning room… just focus on giving ur kids a happy childhood… I learned to stop mesuring when cooking most things come out just as good tarts as u go

Happy Hostess  

Post Yesterday at 7:19 pm
zaq wrote:
You're looking at the problem from the wrong end. It's your perfectionism that's getting in the way of accomplishing things in time. "Tips" won't help because you'll still do things slowly and meticulously, letting "perfect" be the enemy of "good." You need to get rid of your perfectionism first. Therapy may be in order.

Thanks!
I definitely think I can work on my perfectionism but I wouldn’t say therapy would necessarily be the right stop. I’m not a perfectionist with EVERYTHING so I do think tips would be helpful here… but I do hear what you’re saying!

Happy Hostess  

Post Yesterday at 7:20 pm
Newmom 1 wrote:
Oh my this sounds exactly like me to the T. When I had my 3rd I became a stay at home
Mom which honestly just aided the problem bc I had all the time in the world to do things on my schedule. When I got pregnant with my 4th (I already had 3 under 3) I hired a cleaning lady so once a week the house was always spotless.
What helps me, and it really depends on your space, is to make a routine and stick to it. For example I have to start laundry by Sunday and end by Monday night (I sort like crazy too and spray everything and I air dry most things not to damage them, so I know it’s going to take forever and I don’t trust cleaning help with it). Every morning I start with a quick clean up through living area and kitchen (yes sometimes dishes are left over night bc I’m exhausted at night). I leave upstairs and playroom for cleaning lady once a week and she does the deep cleaning too. I also give myself a time limit. By 12-1pm I should be done. I tried doing timers on the my phone which I think I should try again (set a timer before you start on a room and if it’s a big job give yourself breaks in between). That motivated me at some point.
Most importantly just let go and let be. Your house doesn’t have to be perfectly spotless all the time. Hatzlacha!

Thank you!
Totally relate with the timers. Forgot to write in my OP, that’s actually something that I do find helpful. Thanks for your tips!

Happy Hostess  

Post Yesterday at 7:24 pm
wanttobehappy wrote:
Can I just say that I see the stress this puts on my mil/sil? I feel so bad for there kids there mom is always cleaning we have so much more fun cuss we can leave a messy house and still go and have fun… we can have pillow fights isn’t he dinning room… just focus on giving ur kids a happy childhood… I learned to stop mesuring when cooking most things come out just as good tarts as u go

I hear that… but I wouldn’t say a clean house is a stress for me, or that it would affect me as a mother if I did become better at keeping the house clean/organized…
I would really force myself to stop measuring Very Happy

Imabubby60

Post Yesterday at 8:08 pm
I suggest lowering your standards! Just say NO to the ideal "perfect" home /meal /kids....Enjoy your life and your friends, you'll be happier. Also, don't apologize for it, not everyone has to have the same talent for speedy perfect organization.

fireworker

Post Yesterday at 8:39 pm
I am the same exact way. My house is messy but when I do clean it needs to be a deep clean. I only end up cleaning the kitchen about once a week because it takes me 2+ hours (and still looks messy with tons of clutter)
I also don't let my kids in the kitchen because I'm very particular about things splashing and needing to wipe down ingredients etc
Ugh it's really hard and I don't think I will change

futuredoctor

Post Today at 2:37 am
This sounds like me!! No OCD whatsoever but I’m an extremely organized person and like to get things done right. Like rn my clothes are still in suitcases from YT bec I’d rather not unpack at all than do a halfhearted job. I’ll unpack tomorrow when I can give it my all… I would not have started laundry either tonight if DH hadn’t put in the first load.

I’m nervous cuz I’m finishing maternity leave and iyh going back to work next week. Barely balancing all my household tasks with a newborn, I can’t imagine throwing work into the mix along with laundry, meals, cleaning, feedings. And this is my first!

No tips, just I feel you. Gfu for trying to change. I keep hoping it gets easier on its own!

greenavocados

Post Today at 3:55 am
This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but there is a cleaning strategy of 'touch it once'. Meaning, when you've used something or moved something, you wash it if necessary, dry it etc and put it back where it belongs. Basically tidying up as you go so that it doesn't need to become a whole job.

Happy Hostess

Post Today at 8:36 am
greenavocados wrote:
This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but there is a cleaning strategy of 'touch it once'. Meaning, when you've used something or moved something, you wash it if necessary, dry it etc and put it back where it belongs. Basically tidying up as you go so that it doesn't need to become a whole job.

Thanks! Yes I actually have heard of this and occasionally think of it as I go through the day. Just hard to keep up with it esp with little kiddies and a busy schedule, and then the mess just grows…
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics