Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Bamboo theft - should I say something?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 1:51 am
So in our back garden we have this clump of tall bamboo growing. It is there because I planted it and I water it regularly. It is also close to the border to our neighbors. There is a low, partially broken down fence marking the border. Some of the bamboo bends over and hangs into our neighbor's garden.
Our new neighbors helped themselves to some of the bamboo for their sukkah without asking. The problem is, they didn't davka take only the overhanging parts, they cut some bamboo stalks that were clearly on our side of the fence, and davka the biggest ones.

Should I complain? I mean, technically they are allowed to take any parts that overhang into their garden, but they didn't stop at that. They didn't cut very much, but still - imho they should have asked at least.
I take it very personally when people damage my plants, because I put a lot of effort into our garden, even if it may look "wild" to some.
On the other hand, if I complain about 5 or 6 bamboo stalks, it might seem petty and sour the relationship with our new neighbors.

Edited for context: this is in Israel, if it makes any difference.

amother
Snapdragon  

Post Yesterday at 2:00 am
It’s sad bec if a sukkah is made from something stolen it is a problem.
Wether or not you say something maybe you can still be moichel in it so they don’t lose out on the mitzvah.

You could tell them in a nice way. I saw you cut some of the bamboo on my property. I enjoy my plants. In the future please speak to me before you cut my plants.

Is it possible they don’t like how it hangs over their property.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 2:03 am
amother Snapdragon wrote:
It’s sad bec if a sukkah is made from something stolen it is a problem.
Wether or not you say something maybe you can still be moichel in it so they don’t lose out on the mitzvah.

You could tell them in a nice way. I saw you cut some of the bamboo on my property. I enjoy my plants. In the future please speak to me before you cut my plants.

Is it possible they don’t like how it hangs over their property.

I'll be moichel so they can have the mitzvah. But it isn't even their property. They are renting it. We own ours.

Reality  

Post Yesterday at 2:12 am
It makes no difference where you live, just as it makes no difference that you own and they rent. They just moved in and the property line is obviously not clear, since you said it's a falling down fence.

It seems pretty clear to me the new neighbors didn't realize this is your bamboo plant. I would very kindly go over to them and tell them!

I don't understand why you are being so passive aggressive about this. It is so obviously a mistake.

notshanarishona

Post Yesterday at 2:17 am
Personally I would be mochel. They likely look at it as something they have a right to cut with it being on their property and maybe don’t realize where the property line is. Personally I would not have plants that matter to you on the property line , they should be all the way on your property with a proper fence.

amother
Slategray

Post Yesterday at 2:51 am
Id assume that since you said it looks wild, that they assumed it was a weed and no one would mind.

Ooc how do you know it was them?

But in any case I think it's fine to tell them that in the future you'd appreciate if they didn't cut your plants without asking you first.

Raizle

Post Yesterday at 3:19 am
Reality wrote:
It makes no difference where you live, just as it makes no difference that you own and they rent. They just moved in and the property line is obviously not clear, since you said it's a falling down fence.

It seems pretty clear to me the new neighbors didn't realize this is your bamboo plant. I would very kindly go over to them and tell them!

I don't understand why you are being so passive aggressive about this. It is so obviously a mistake.

In what way is she being passive aggressive?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Yesterday at 3:23 am
For the future please fix your fence and around RH put up a sign. Branches hanging over to neighbors should be pruned.

amother
Phlox

Post Yesterday at 3:33 am
Put up a fence please before next year

Reality  

Post Yesterday at 3:41 am
Raizle wrote:

Her whole attitude towards them. Her post is full of subtle put downs. They are renters not owners like her. They stole from her plant. Why jump to they are ganavim when OP says the property line is a mess?

This is such an easy thing to smooth out between neighbors. Why is she making such a big deal about this before even speaking to them?

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 4:10 am
Reality wrote:
Her whole attitude towards them. Her post is full of subtle put downs. They are renters not owners like her. They stole from her plant. Why jump to they are ganavim when OP says the property line is a mess?

This is such an easy thing to smooth out between neighbors. Why is she making such a big deal about this before even speaking to them?

The property line is well visible. While the fence is not in good shape, it is still clearly a fence, and in addition there is a step in the landscape, like terracing. Their backyard is half a meter lower than ours. So there is no mistaking the property line.
Regarding my attitude towards them - I liked them and we were on friendly terms until this happened. Brought them homebaked challah and all.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 4:24 am
And, Reality, what do you mean I'm making a big deal before even speaking to them?? I came here specifically to ask if I should speak to them or not. That's my question.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 4:24 am
Delete double post.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Yesterday at 4:31 am
Just go over and without resentment- hey, I just wanted to let you know that I am particular about my plants and I work hard to take care of them. Please don't cut them without asking.

Some people aren't garden people and assume no one else cares. Or they grew up thinking it was a weed when you specifically planted it (I know someone like that... neighbor A grew up in City A where the plant was considered invasive and everyone uprooted it. People were happy you helped them pull the weeds out! Neighbor B purposely planted it!)
Sometimes it is a misunderstanding.
Clarification in a calm way prevents resentments and animosity from brewing.

Maybe bring some cookies over to show you aren't angry and are mochel this time. But at the same time be clear you want the behavior to stop. If you were friendly before then it should keep the peace.

Busybee5

Post Yesterday at 4:38 am
Raizle wrote:

I'm wondering the same.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 4:46 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Just go over and without resentment- hey, I just wanted to let you know that I am particular about my plants and I work hard to take care of them. Please don't cut them without asking.

Some people aren't garden people and assume no one else cares. Or they grew up thinking it was a weed when you specifically planted it (I know someone like that... neighbor A grew up in City A where the plant was considered invasive and everyone uprooted it. People were happy you helped them pull the weeds out! Neighbor B purposely planted it!)
Sometimes it is a misunderstanding.
Clarification in a calm way prevents resentments and animosity from brewing.

Maybe bring some cookies over to show you aren't angry and are mochel this time. But at the same time be clear you want the behavior to stop. If you were friendly before then it should keep the peace.

Thanks. Good points.

amother
Daffodil

Post Yesterday at 4:48 am
amother OP wrote:
And, Reality, what do you mean I'm making a big deal before even speaking to them?? I came here specifically to ask if I should speak to them or not. That's my question.

Did their kids cut the bamboo? It’s possible the kids weren’t thinking in terms of stealing and just wanted the best bamboo for their sukkah. I know I might have done that as a kid

Reality

Post Yesterday at 4:52 am
amother OP wrote:

I'm sorry if I posted too strongly but it seemed to me like posting here is making a big deal about nothing. If they are nice people, just call them up and tell them. I'm sure they'll apologize and it won't happen again.

Also, do you know for sure it's them? You saw them cut your plant?

amother
Bellflower

Post Yesterday at 6:26 am
OP, I understand your annoyance at a neighbor intruding on your property. We live in a neighborhood with big yards and old trees and keep a well maintained property. 3/4 of our neighbors are Jewish. After 20 years, we had a new (younger) neighbor move in on the side of our property. He found the house through a conversation I had with a mutual friend and an introduction that I made to the owner. The new neighbor came to my husband shortly after moving in and asked us to cut down some trees that were on our side of the property (some of which were not that old but were less fancy plants--not full grown evergreens but some hedges.) I then had a conversation with him where he strolled through our yard and pointed out things that I should cut down because he didn't like the way they looked. I tried to be friendly even though I thought he was waaaay out of line and told him that I would discuss it with my husband. He seemed annoyed that I should even have an opinion. Later, after some discussion at home, my husband and I decided that we would remove a few things, but not all that he asked. I felt that this was major chutzpah on his part but we were trying to get along. A few months ago, I caught him coming through the tree border, which is very thick and very well defined, and cutting things on our side (his head was literally poking through into our yard and he had hedge trimmers.) I told him that was really uncool and that he needed to speak with us before trimming anything on our side. He lied and said he hadn't cut anything, but I was standing in my yard when it happened. When we moved into this house, a neighbor said., "people here fight over trees and dogs." He wasn't kidding.

amother
Ballota

Post Yesterday at 7:50 am
I would not say anything this year. Plant has already been cut and there's nothing they can do about it. Unless you think they might need more then I would say something.
Make sure to let them know well in advance next year that the tree belongs to you and you would appreciate if they don't cut anything before checking with you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette